Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 20, 2012, 06:21 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,172 Posts
No, it will not.
You need to go into the function menu and change the Throttle function to Motor function. When you select motor function, you will then have a throttle lock for electrics, rather than a throttle cut for IC engines.
I think Futaba should add a line to the new model setup, where you select the type of power system to be used. When Motor function is selected, the latest version software will automatically set the servo reversing for use with an ESC
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2012, 06:28 PM
numnutchris
Joined Sep 2009
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo320 View Post
Guys, please can you confirm that if I set the throttle cut on say sf, at a value of 0%, my esc will power down the throttle even if the throttle stick isn't at the bottom?
So I can cut if crash is imminent or I'm on ground for safety feature.
Tia.
No - you should change your THR to MOT in the Function menu and use MDL - MOTOR to set SF to a kill switch; then it will disable the MOTor from any position. Throttle Cut only does that on the lower part; you cant cut from eg wot.
numnutchris is offline Find More Posts by numnutchris
Old Apr 20, 2012, 07:55 PM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
2,217 Posts
Godd to now about the motor esc reversing automaticaly and kill switch i didnt know.

So im am using the motor function in mix to slow down my flaps speed. Is there any other way to set speed to flaps? For make use of motor function as is mean to.
DaxFX is online now Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:31 PM
Sponsored by Team de la Peña
Miramar, FL
Joined Aug 2008
2,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaxFX View Post
Godd to now about the motor esc reversing automaticaly and kill switch i didnt know.

So im am using the motor function in mix to slow down my flaps speed. Is there any other way to set speed to flaps? For make use of motor function as is mean to.
Yes, replace the motor mix for the throttle delay mix, everything else in Malcolms reference guide holds true.

- Birger
bdelapen is offline Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 21, 2012, 01:09 AM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson32 View Post
Below is a question I asked on another forum. I didn't get many answers so I though I'd ask here...

I've been flying with this radio for a month or so now and really like it... I'm flying some larger gas stuff (37% Pilot RC Edge) and not real comfortable with the throttle... It just seems real sensitive. I've put -15% expo on throttle in the dual rate menu, but It doesn't really help out. I'm coming from electric so I'm sure there is a learning curve, but with the same radio, say with my electric 70" Slick, I feel really comfortable with it. Any other things I can try out?

This is the answer I received....
Set up a throttle curve. Just play with the settings until you get it right.
I fly both electric and gas and this is what gives me a throttle response on my DLEs and DAs pretty close to an electric motor. I fly 3D, low and slow and this really helps.

Most of the gas motors have their power around mid stick (35-65% stick position) and that is where you need to tame it a little.

Your throttle servo link geometry is also very important to give you a better resolution. A digital servo on throttle and running your receiver (8CH/14CH) in high speed mode will also improve this response.
SalamSyed is offline Find More Posts by SalamSyed
Last edited by SalamSyed; Apr 21, 2012 at 01:16 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 01:26 AM
numnutchris
Joined Sep 2009
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaxFX View Post

You have some speed settings in the Airbrake (acro) or Butterfly (glider) menu(s). Or check the Malcolmholt pdfs.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:34 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpete2 View Post
No, it will not.
You need to go into the function menu and change the Throttle function to Motor function. When you select motor function, you will then have a throttle lock for electrics, rather than a throttle cut for IC engines.
I think Futaba should add a line to the new model setup, where you select the type of power system to be used. When Motor function is selected, the latest version software will automatically set the servo reversing for use with an ESC
Pete
I tried that, tjanks. However, there is no control on the throttle now, just a constant level when I switch the switch. Do I need to set some other stuff on the motor page to get it to behave like a throttle?
Thx.
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:44 AM
Loving Life!!!
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Jan 2010
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmHolt View Post
Page 25 of the attached document illustrates how to set up different types of throttle curve. Exponential should also solve your problems though you may well need a much higher value. The other thing you could look at is the linkage geometry of the servo and throttle arms.
Thanks MalcolmHolt.... I'll take a look at the pdf. My linkage is set pretty well. I'm at 100% on my epa/travel. I was way off when I first hooked it up and was hitting WOT at about 1/2 throttle on the Tx.... My servo horn was way too long...

SalamSyed - Thanks my man, I'll try those out. I'm using a Hitec 5665, although I'm not running in HS. I'll try HS out as well.

Thanks again guys!

Jordan
jwilson32 is offline Find More Posts by jwilson32
Old Apr 21, 2012, 09:45 AM
numnutchris
Joined Sep 2009
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo320 View Post
I tried that, tjanks. However, there is no control on the throttle now, just a constant level when I switch the switch. Do I need to set some other stuff on the motor page to get it to behave like a throttle?
Thx.
Assuming you have J3 as motor control, go to MDL - MOTOR:
You probably have changed INH to ACT (ON) and set the SW to F.
On screen 1 goto the MOTOR OFF +0 and pull J3 down (or whatever position you want to be the kill level) and hold RTN, should change the zero to +100.
(the black and white in the bar are timer references, set on screen 2).
Old Apr 22, 2012, 03:36 AM
Belgium
Joined Jan 2011
139 Posts
I am in the market for new radio equipment wats the poweroutput of the 8fg.

Thks Ed
brianos007 is offline Find More Posts by brianos007
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:42 AM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
47.53mW

With the way 2.4 signals work, power output does not equal range (though it is a factor). The 8FG is a "full range" system. While maintaining line-of-sight you should be good for 1 to 2 miles range, or so.

I've never flown far enough away in normal mode to lose the signal.

In power down range check mode with the receiver (R606FS) on a wooden bench with the antennas parallel to the transmitter's I was able to maintain full control out to about 300 paces across a grass field.

For specifics, check out the FCC ID search here: http://transition.fcc.gov/oet/ea/fccid/

The 8FG's FCC ID code is AZPT8FG-24G.
Wrend is offline Find More Posts by Wrend
Last edited by Wrend; Apr 22, 2012 at 12:08 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 03:10 PM
Sverige, Södermanlands Län, Eskilstuna
Joined Jan 2008
195 Posts
Throttle/Motor lock on ALL Futaba?

Hi,
Me and my son have three Futaba FASST Radios, 8FG, 7C & 6EX that we fly Electric airplanes with.
On the 8FG and 7C I have managed to program Trottle/Motor Lock to a switch with good help from people at this forum.
But with the 6EX I have had no luck.
Anyone know if there is possible to have throttle/motor lock for Electrif flight on Futaba 6EX FASST (and how to do it)?

I really do lake the safety with the Trottle Lock and I think it should be there from the start on all radios.
Petrik59 is offline Find More Posts by Petrik59
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:38 PM
I Just Want to Hover!
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Jun 2004
703 Posts
Throttle lock out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrik59 View Post
Hi,
Me and my son have three Futaba FASST Radios, 8FG, 7C & 6EX that we fly Electric airplanes with.
On the 8FG and 7C I have managed to program Trottle/Motor Lock to a switch with good help from people at this forum.
But with the 6EX I have had no luck.
Anyone know if there is possible to have throttle/motor lock for Electrif flight on Futaba 6EX FASST (and how to do it)?

I really do lake the safety with the Trottle Lock and I think it should be there from the start on all radios.
Petrik,

Here is the link to the manual on line:

http://manuals.hobbico.com/fut/6ex-2_4ghz-manual.pdf

Page 19 seems to have the info you are looking for.

I have used a channel 3 to channel 3 mix on my transmitters and you need to play with the – and + numbers until the motor does not rotate.

I would start with –100 and see what happens. Remove the prop from the motor for safety in case it needs to be +100.

Set your switch, CH5, D/R, or FLP, whichever is comfortable for you.

Good Flying!

Bill
Bill Martins is offline Find More Posts by Bill Martins
Old Apr 23, 2012, 06:22 PM
Erie, PA
Joined May 2010
37 Posts
I am using Malcolm's servo slow technique for my flaps and can't figure out how to mix elevator. Do I need a P-Mix or can I use the built-in camberflap-elevator mix??

As usual, thank you guys for ALL your help!!!

p.s. I talked to a Futaba rep at Toledo and told them they should hire you guys!! They even know some of your names...especially Malcolm!!
Oiler747 is offline Find More Posts by Oiler747
Old Apr 23, 2012, 06:36 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
Yeah, you'll probably have to do a custom mix with throttle or motor functions, assuming you used one of those for your flaps. I suppose you could do a flaps to throttle/motor mix to allow you to use the other built in mixing options, if you're not already using the flaps function.

Using airbreaks for speed delay instead might be another option.

Now if we could just get a general servo/channel speed delay option in a future update instead of doing it in these roundabout ways... (Not so subtle friendly prodding. )

I'm personally fine with being a satisfied customer; it allows me to share my unbiased opinion with my fellow hobbyists. Reading a lot of what Malcolm has had to say, I'm guessing he has a similar take on things. But yes, he is definitely a great knowledge contributor to us 8FG users, even since his very first post at RCG, if I remember correctly.

I also like that Steve, Bax, and a few others from "Futaba America" have contributed a lot as well.
Wrend is offline Find More Posts by Wrend
Last edited by Wrend; Apr 23, 2012 at 06:53 PM.