HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:44 AM
United States, WV, Princeton
Joined Jul 2003
527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson32 View Post
Why does the 6014 only have 6 HS channels? I'm using 8 channels for my 37% Edge. I don't need throttle on HS so that leaves me 7 servos I would like to be HS. Should I put all but my rudder servo on HS? (I'm only running one rudder servo). Or should I use a Y harness on the two elevator servos which will then make all my surface servos HV. If I do Y the elevators together, what area in the manual would I look under to "match" them up?
To the best of my knowledge they all only have 6 HS channels. If I had to choose, I'd run rudder on normal and everything else on HS. Now I'm wondering if all S-bus servos are all HS or not.

Cory
clytle374 is offline Find More Posts by clytle374
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:44 AM
Sadorus, IL
Joined Mar 2004
597 Posts
I'd suggest running in the normal mode in your case. You may or may not notice the difference. If you use a Y, you cannot match the servos properly. The other option would be to only run your ailerons/elevator on HS mode as you mention.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilson32 View Post
Why does the 6014 only have 6 HS channels? I'm using 8 channels for my 37% Edge. I don't need throttle on HS so that leaves me 7 servos I would like to be HS. Should I put all but my rudder servo on HS? (I'm only running one rudder servo). Or should I use a Y harness on the two elevator servos which will then make all my surface servos HV. If I do Y the elevators together, what area in the manual would I look under to "match" them up?
Skaluf is offline Find More Posts by Skaluf
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 22, 2012, 11:55 AM
Loving Life!!!
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Jan 2010
327 Posts
Gotcha... Is the difference between normal and HS, latency?
jwilson32 is offline Find More Posts by jwilson32
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:34 PM
Perfect 3pt inverted landing!
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2008
3,089 Posts
What I've heard is that sbus is all high speed. So if you want, you can use a sbus servo on one surface and plug it into the sbus port. Or go all out and run everything on sbus.
teookie is offline Find More Posts by teookie
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:41 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,034 Posts
Could some please give me a 6-sentence description of SBus and what it does?
Left Coast DJ is offline Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:45 PM
Perfect 3pt inverted landing!
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2008
3,089 Posts
sbus:

Commands for every channel are output on one wire. The servos are individually programmed to a specific channel and plugged in anywhere along this wire. Since each servo is programmed individually, it can pick out and execute only the commands intended for it.

Simplifies setup somewhat and eliminates a bunch of wiring.
teookie is offline Find More Posts by teookie
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:46 PM
United States, FL, Miramar
Joined Dec 2007
1,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast DJ View Post
Could some please give me a 6-sentence description of SBus and what it does?
Here you go: http://futabarc.com/sbus/index.html

Doug.
DougV is online now Find More Posts by DougV
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:56 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick662u View Post
I swore I'd only use futaba rxs.... Now I have at lest 5 frsky rxs...small, easy and flawless thus far.... At least a year on some of them. I still use my genuine rx for my multis and for aerial photography. But that's just paranoia setting in.... My spekctum brownout saw to that! Haha
I have used both Frsky and OrangeX with my 8FG with no issues whatsoever, and don't think I've ever heard of anyone who has had a problem to which they could positively attribute it to the receiver.

Like most others, if I was building a very expensive model, just for piece of mind, I'd likely equip it with a 'genuine' Futaba receiver.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:08 PM
Account Closed
United States, OH, Groveport
Joined Feb 2009
2,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post
...Like most others, if I was building a very expensive model, just for piece of mind, I'd likely equip it with a 'genuine' Futaba receiver.
I guess it depends on perspective, but I consider all of my models to be "expensive." You also have to consider that even though your plane is a POS and you don't care about it, if it crashed into something/someone that would be a bad day. I would only run a FrSky RX on a foamy, but that's just me.
rod.d is offline Find More Posts by rod.d
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:43 PM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
4,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod.d View Post
I guess it depends on perspective...I would only run a FrSky RX on a foamy, but that's just me.

Exactly.

But that said, I think at some point the counter-point has to be true too, if we are intellectually honest, and not just being brand snobs -- if enough people you know, and your own experience, and the' word' on the forums is not trashing them for cause... and they aren't demonstrably inferior in any meaningful way... then, why *wouldn't* they be good enough for large scale, or stick built planes if you flew them in a bunch of foamies for a long period of time...

Probably not a perfect analogy, but I quit putting premium fuel into cars that don't need it a long, long time ago, and instead decided to go on performance requirements instead, verified by my successful use over time.

Same with basic clear adhesive tape -- I don't have a special "Aviation Clear Tape" I use -- clear tape is pretty much clear tape.

Not sure these little clone receivers are quite there yet, but then, with the Frskys and the Orangex for FASST in particular, they aren't far off from being 'commodity' parts where you just plug 'em in and they work.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Mar 22, 2012, 04:46 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2012
1,034 Posts
Good info about the SBus. Looks like I'd need SBus compatible servos, and not be able to use my trusty (and low cost) HS-55s.
Left Coast DJ is offline Find More Posts by Left Coast DJ
Old Mar 22, 2012, 04:49 PM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast DJ View Post
Good info about the SBus. Looks like I'd need SBus compatible servos, and not be able to use my trusty (and low cost) HS-55s.
I do not have S-Bus setup but my understanding is that you can use conventional/regular servos with an S-Bus system and would only need S-Bus Decoder called SBD-1 S.Bus Decoder. The decoder is available in different wire lenght so can be used an S-Bus hub.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZKA5&P=7
SalamSyed is offline Find More Posts by SalamSyed
Old Mar 22, 2012, 06:44 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
I've heard of a few people having issues with the generic FASST receivers, but just a few.

I didn't pay much attention to it though since I don't plan on using them. I think some of it may have had something to do with functional design differences from the genuine FASST ones. I think I've also heard of a failure of one of them.
Wrend is offline Find More Posts by Wrend
Old Mar 22, 2012, 06:46 PM
Account Closed
United States, OH, Groveport
Joined Feb 2009
2,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknoob View Post

Exactly.

But that said, I think at some point the counter-point has to be true too, if we are intellectually honest, and not just being brand snobs -- if enough people you know, and your own experience, and the' word' on the forums is not trashing them for cause... and they aren't demonstrably inferior in any meaningful way... then, why *wouldn't* they be good enough for large scale, or stick built planes if you flew them in a bunch of foamies for a long period of time...

Probably not a perfect analogy, but I quit putting premium fuel into cars that don't need it a long, long time ago, and instead decided to go on performance requirements instead, verified by my successful use over time.

Same with basic clear adhesive tape -- I don't have a special "Aviation Clear Tape" I use -- clear tape is pretty much clear tape.

Not sure these little clone receivers are quite there yet, but then, with the Frskys and the Orangex for FASST in particular, they aren't far off from being 'commodity' parts where you just plug 'em in and they work.
Fair enough, I guess I am just not there yet. If I keep hearing nothing but good things then maybe someday. what I really want is for it to cause futaba to lower their prices, but I am not holding my breath.
rod.d is offline Find More Posts by rod.d
Old Mar 22, 2012, 06:50 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
I don't typically keep receivers in models I'm not planning to fly "sometime soon," instead switching them out to other models, so it isn't really an issue for me.

I actually have a few extra receivers that aren't in anything at the moment.
Wrend is offline Find More Posts by Wrend