Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:26 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPMBOY View Post
whats new wt the V5.0 update?
Oh you know just the normal reverse motor function for electric models and stuff like that. You know the stuff no one cares about
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 29, 2012, 06:31 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
Here's a link to Steve's post that has a PDF attached that explains the update changes: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4311
Wrend is offline Find More Posts by Wrend
Old Feb 29, 2012, 07:20 PM
Ook!
New Zealand
Joined Aug 2007
1,495 Posts
I just want to double check this is how the trim reset works.

Set the trim memory to active
Move trims back to centre
Set trim memory back to INH

Is that the right way to do this
skaffen is offline Find More Posts by skaffen
Old Mar 01, 2012, 02:52 AM
Brighton UK
Joined Dec 2010
353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaffen View Post
I just want to double check this is how the trim reset works.

Set the trim memory to active
Move trims back to centre
Set trim memory back to INH

Is that the right way to do this
No. Assuming that you have trimmed the model and want to reset the trim indicators to zero on the home screen while leaving the trimmed servo positions as they are you need to do the following.

In the T1 – T4 Set Menu scroll to Memory. Change INH to ACT. Now return to the home screen and scroll to each trim indicator in turn and hold RTN for one second. This will zero the indicators. (If you go back to the T1 – T4 Set Menu and reset memory to INH the trim indicators will return to their original trim positions).

Note that if you have applied full trim and then centre the display the trim lever will not let you increase the trim any further. Once a model has been test flown it is far better to adjust the control linkages so that the trim displays are naturally all at zero thus giving you maximum trim availability.
MalcolmHolt is offline Find More Posts by MalcolmHolt
Old Mar 01, 2012, 09:24 AM
Bax
Central Illinois
Joined May 2003
238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa View Post
I noticed that Futaba has a cool virtual 18MZ radio on their website that allows you to browse/program the radio. Not that any of us are shopping in that price range but I did find a few things interesting about the 18MZ firmware. First, and most peculiar, it retains the misplaced "Model" menu of the 8FG -- Model selection is still done from the "Linkage" menu instead of the "Model" menu. Guess they're doubling down on that screwup. Second, it does the reversed motor channel thing!
(
The model selection has ALWAYS been in the Linkage Menu since this programming style first came out in the 14MZ. Selections in the Model Menu are functions specific to the model selected. Items in the Linkage Menu encompass things across many models, so that's where you select which model you want to use. It's not a "screwup", but just part of Futaba's philosophy of transmitter design.

Once you select a particular model, then you select its contol features in the Model Menu.
Bax is offline Find More Posts by Bax
Old Mar 01, 2012, 10:27 AM
Perfect 3pt inverted landing!
USA, AL, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2008
3,089 Posts
If I set up a plane with one servo per elevator should I:

set tail type to ailevator

or

Add a second ELE function to another channel in the function menu

??

Pro's and cons of each please.
teookie is offline Find More Posts by teookie
Old Mar 01, 2012, 10:40 AM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,084 Posts
Either way is fine. The only limitation to adding a second ELE1 in the function menu is that you won't have the ability to have ailervators. That said. I have three planes on the 8FG with dual elevator servos, I do have all three with Ailervator selected in tail type, but none of those models have Ailervator settings programmed in. OK, I admit it, I'm a bit of a Wus
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Mar 01, 2012, 11:28 AM
Sadorus, IL
Joined Mar 2004
590 Posts
As Pete mentions, if you don't need ailevators, the fastest way is to simply add another elevator in the Function menu. I personally seldom use the templates with the aircraft I fly. Instead I use the heck out of the Function menu.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by teookie View Post
If I set up a plane with one servo per elevator should I:

set tail type to ailevator

or

Add a second ELE function to another channel in the function menu

??

Pro's and cons of each please.
Skaluf is offline Find More Posts by Skaluf
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 01, 2012, 02:41 PM
United Kingdom, England, Slyne
Joined Jul 2008
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax View Post
The model selection has ALWAYS been in the Linkage Menu since this programming style first came out in the 14MZ. Selections in the Model Menu are functions specific to the model selected. Items in the Linkage Menu encompass things across many models, so that's where you select which model you want to use. It's not a "screwup", but just part of Futaba's philosophy of transmitter design.

Once you select a particular model, then you select its contol features in the Model Menu.
I am unsure if during one of the updates that model select can now be used from the Home Screen, or it has always been there.

After updating to V.5. I was scrolling round the Home Screen and noticed I could choose a different model by going to the active one and press Return, you are taken straight to Model Select.
grummingoose is offline Find More Posts by grummingoose
Old Mar 01, 2012, 02:43 PM
Sponsored by Team de la Peña
Miramar, FL
Joined Aug 2008
2,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grummingoose View Post
I am unsure if during one of the updates that model select can now be used from the Home Screen, or it has always been there.

After updating to V.5. I was scrolling round the Home Screen and noticed I could choose a different model by going to the active one and press Return, you are taken straight to Model Select.
It has always been there. You can now also configure the model selection screen to come up when you power up the radio.

- Birger
bdelapen is online now Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2012, 02:51 PM
United Kingdom, England, Slyne
Joined Jul 2008
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdelapen View Post
It has always been there. You can now also configure the model selection screen to come up when you power up the radio.

- Birger
Thanks for the info Birger.

This must be the most informative and kept on track discussion thread on the entire internet.
grummingoose is offline Find More Posts by grummingoose
Old Mar 01, 2012, 05:47 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdelapen View Post
. . .You can now also configure the model selection screen to come up when you power up the radio.

- Birger
This was available in 4.1 so it is not a new feature for 5.0.
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2012, 06:30 PM
Sponsored by Team de la Peña
Miramar, FL
Joined Aug 2008
2,492 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc View Post
This was available in 4.1 so it is not a new feature for 5.0.
Never said it was and neither is model select from the main screen, as far as I know it has always been available, at least back to the version that my radio shipped with. I just figured that since he hadn't figured out you could model select from the main screen he probably hadn't figured out that you could set a system parameter for model select at radio turn-on.

- Birger
bdelapen is online now Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2012, 06:47 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,096 Posts
Sorry, I guess I misinterpreted the "now also" in your sentence:
Quote:
You can now also configure the model selection screen to...
to imply it wasn't available in previous Vers.
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 01, 2012, 08:04 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
Hey now... This is the internet. Leave the semantics and syntax at the door.

Speaking of syntax... I'm thinking about building a programmable robot. The question is: Do I use computer programs and WLAN to control it and have feedback from it, or my 8FG and FPV gear with on-board programming that I trigger with different channel settings?

Think Futaba will come out with a "robot" model template type for the 8FG any time soon? (After all, they're a Japanese based company.)
Wrend is offline Find More Posts by Wrend
Last edited by Wrend; Mar 01, 2012 at 08:26 PM.