StormJunkie is offline Find More Posts by StormJunkie
Old Feb 15, 2012, 09:20 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,345 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpete2 View Post
Unfortunately, adding a second channel in the function screen does not provide for aileron differential. Note that 2 AIL is the default option, you have to go outta your way to select 1 AIL., so even if your setting up a setting up a simple 4 channel Cub with a single aileron servo, just leave it at 2 AIL, I mean really, every plane I've flow has at least two ailerons. I can see no compelling reason to ever use the 1 AIL option.
Pete
Pete,

You can set up a for 1 AIL, and still have two aileron servos on separate channels with aileron differential. Assign the AIL function to two channels - let's say channels 1 and 5, do the proper reversing and subtrimming (if needed) then setup the aileron differential with the endpoints for each channel.

OTOH there is an advantage to a 2 AIL setup as already mentioned (flaperons, and spoilerons become possible). And you are correct - even if the plane has a single aileron servo it won't hurt at all if the radio is set up for 2 AIL.

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2012, 04:33 AM
Build, Fly, Maintain, Repeat..
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Nov 2008
2,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc View Post
Pete,

You can set up a for 1 AIL, and still have two aileron servos on separate channels with aileron differential. Assign the AIL function to two channels - let's say channels 1 and 5, do the proper reversing and subtrimming (if needed) then setup the aileron differential with the endpoints for each channel.

OTOH there is an advantage to a 2 AIL setup as already mentioned (flaperons, and spoilerons become possible). And you are correct - even if the plane has a single aileron servo it won't hurt at all if the radio is set up for 2 AIL.

Ivan
Or, give the freedom to change the wing type, which again is the logical thing, rather than trying to fit the change in by assigning channels. It appears that the tendancy is to change wing type, but you don't necessarily want to because it is more of a pain, to lose all the settings. At a bare minimum, I would ask that no servo reversing already made is returned to factory default. All other settings, I haven't really thought much about that, but leave my settings for reversals alone, please.
mirored is online now Find More Posts by mirored
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:25 AM
Glens Falls, NY
Joined Apr 2010
1,296 Posts
Can anyone tell me if people have been having good luck with the Orange RX in combination with the 8FG?

And I'm sure this has been asked, but, can you really feel a difference when going from a DX7 to 8FG?

What are you guys using for receivers in say 42", 60" and 72" sized planes? For that matter, how about in a small foamy?

This radio has a throttle curve, correct? That would be a big reason (or excuse) that I would buy one.
TG43 is offline Find More Posts by TG43
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by TG43; Feb 16, 2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 08:32 AM
Sponsored by Team de la Peņa
Miramar, FL
Joined Aug 2008
2,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TG43 View Post
Can anyone tell me if people have been having good luck with the Orange RX in combination with the 8FG?

And I'm sure this has been asked, but, can you really feel a difference when going from a DX7 to 8FG?
I have several Orange and Frsky RXs in my planes but only in some of my smaller and slower models, primarily foamies and park flyers. All my large, fast and expensive stuff has Futaba receivers in them. That being said, I have personally not noticed a difference, they all seem to fly just as well, never a glitch on any plane except twice when I flew planes with R6004FF receivers in them too far away (totally my fault as I way exceeded the specified range of the receiver), one I recovered, one went in.

- Birger
bdelapen is offline Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2012, 09:53 AM
numnutchris
Joined Sep 2009
411 Posts
Quote:

---
Said it earlier in some post(s) - The FrSky clones work well with all FASST Tx.es (Ive only used/using the 7 and 8ch incl SP and S). Some issues thus, according to the known chinese QC: The cases have no heels moulded at the antennas positions, neither the HK orange nor FrSky (or re-labelled) boxes. Weve got a few Rx:es with one antenna off out of the box. Easy to fix but poor range if unnoticed.
The other issue has been if using analog servos. With the Rx on for some reason, and changing model memory (actually RF protocol in Tx) might cause the 8Ch to go back to default HS mode; unnoticed it will wear or burn servos.
Otherwise range is as good as (or better) with original stuff. Also FS has several options (depending on clone model); either hold, Tx set (and limited) or Rx set (all channels).
numnutchris is offline Find More Posts by numnutchris
Last edited by numnutchris; Feb 16, 2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:22 AM
numnutchris
Joined Sep 2009
411 Posts
Quote:
---

This radio has a throttle curve, correct? That would be a big reason (or excuse) that I would buy one.
You talk about planes, as almost any Tx has curves for helis?
Yes - three curves If something called VPP (variable propeller pitch) is assigned to something.
Ive used curves eg. with car ESCs (funstuff and sponsons/aquaplanes) to switch between normal throttle stick behavior vs. REV on the lower half.
Theres no reason not to buy this Tx, those complains in former posts are things Id like to see in future updates!
numnutchris is offline Find More Posts by numnutchris
Last edited by numnutchris; Feb 16, 2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:29 AM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
802 Posts
I have used the OrangeRx 8 channel with my 8FG in a small electric for about two seasons and it worked perfect. Range was excellent and it never missed a beat. Unfortunately it sustained some damage after a crash due to an ESC failure. Have a couple of the new FrSky TFR6 units and they appear to work well. Have them in a couple small electrics, but have not had many flights yet. So far so good and I do like the fail safe options, although it has never kicked in that I am aware. As others have noted, on my larger glow powered planes I too only use genuine Futaba Rx. Not because I do not trust the FrSky units, but if I have over $1000 into a plane, the thought of using a $25 receiver to guide it does not sit comfortably with me. A few more bucks for a genuine Futaba receiver considering what I have in the plane is really not that significant in terms of cost.
rcwings is offline Find More Posts by rcwings
Old Feb 16, 2012, 02:59 PM
Fit to CFIT
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,495 Posts
There's no difference to be felt between DX7 and 8FG other than the 8FG being much lighter and slimmer, which I find to be quite significant. The real difference between them is in the number of channels (4+4 vs 8+6) and the programming capability (almost none vs. nearly limitless). And yes, there are curves for most everything.

Futaba offers 3 types of receivers:
- Single antenna with no failsafe which I use for park fliers and 60" sailplanes with great success.
- Dual antenna with no failsafe (R617) which offers unlimited range.
- Dual antenna with failsafe (3,8,14CH models) which are great anywhere you can afford them.
vespa is offline Find More Posts by vespa
Old Feb 16, 2012, 04:07 PM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
When I compare Futaba vs Spektrum or any othe radio, it is the bulletproof and reliable RF link which Futaba offers. No strings of satellite receivers required.
SalamSyed is offline Find More Posts by SalamSyed
Old Feb 16, 2012, 07:42 PM
Build, Fly, Maintain, Repeat..
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Nov 2008
2,189 Posts
I offer this as another example of throttle revering when changing settings. I will be discussing with the Futaba reps at the WRAM show next Friday. Hopefully they will at least listen. If not, and no indication of caring, I will have to look for alternatives.

If nothing else, maybe this will simply serve as a reminder of what can happen. I get it, remove the prop, use a RX battery, etc. It still should not be allowed to happen, not when it's simple enough to address.
mirored is online now Find More Posts by mirored
Old Feb 16, 2012, 09:55 PM
United States, FL, Miramar
Joined Dec 2007
1,232 Posts
In 20 years of flying I've seen some of those with different brand of radios.

Doug.
DougV is online now Find More Posts by DougV
Old Feb 16, 2012, 09:59 PM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
People die in car crashes everyday but if someone dies due to the car accelerates by itself (Toyota) is a different story.
SalamSyed is offline Find More Posts by SalamSyed
Old Feb 16, 2012, 10:03 PM
Fit to CFIT
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,495 Posts
The difference is that Toyotas don't accelerate by themselves, it's purely user error. Futabas on the other hand (excuse the pun) do indeed accelerate by themselves, so long as the user agrees that he is sure he wants to change some random minor unrelated mixer.
vespa is offline Find More Posts by vespa