SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:03 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,468 Posts
Man that sucks. Sorry to hear about your issues. I know the feeling though.
I always seem to get escs that die. Never fails too.
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:24 PM
War is over (if you want it)
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,665 Posts
To be clear, my radio never rebooted, but it certainly would have sooner or later if I had not noticed the broken tab on the beat-up old lipo I was using.

Salam, I'm still not sure I believe that your radio rebooted. You say there was no control because it was stuck at the model select screen, but then you say "next thing I knew it had rebooted". What about the distinctive song it plays when booting? That's not easy to miss.
vespa is offline Find More Posts by vespa
Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:28 PM
Sponsored by Team de la Peņa
United States, FL, Pembroke Pines
Joined Aug 2008
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamSyed View Post
I and Andy are using this lipo which I think some other guys are using as well. I know losi has been using this as well.

http://www.rcaccessory.com/pe2600tx-2S.aspx

I went against my will and did not go for the Li-Ion sold by Fromeco.
http://www.fromeco.org/Products/01FRCT8FG/
I have two of the 2600 batteries, I swap them out as they run out and recharge outside of the radio. Never had an issue or a reboot with either and I have also had the radio on for hours at a time (forgotten it on or using it for Phoenix flight sim).

For what it's worth, I have some soft foam strips in the battery compartment holding the battery captive so it can't move around and doesn't get banged around.

- Birger
bdelapen is offline Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2012, 08:13 PM
numnutchris
Joined Sep 2009
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcdfrd View Post
actually in that case I would just go to the funtion menu and add an aileron function to an open channel and walla!!! ---
Wont work unless prior setup for 2ail, AIL2 is was not present as we tried it last week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamSyed View Post
Andy,

These days I have been thinking to upgrade to another Futaba radio and the only other one that attracts me in the Futaba line-up is the new 18MZ. Other than that the 8FG is the best considering its cost.

I hate to talk bad about 8FG but we have to sort that issue of the radio rebooting by itself. It happend to both of us a few times and it scares me of alot so now I have disabled the menu screen in case the radio reboots so if it does, it directly goes back to the same model with the hope to buy in a few seconds to save my model.

I posted the issue once and no one responded so I guess it just you and me having that issue.
Frequently pulling the pack out of the Tx might cause a PCB solder joint to crack; probably not your issue but Ive seen it when a Tx has been around for a longer period.
Ive used (and use) a short servo extension between the Tx and pack, easier to replace than soldering inside the Tx.
(I only use LiPo when needed, but rather often fastcharge the NimH outside the Tx)
numnutchris is offline Find More Posts by numnutchris
Old Feb 13, 2012, 08:23 PM
War is over (if you want it)
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,665 Posts
Yeah, after my battery incident I put two connectors on the replacement pack so that I don't need to unplug the battery from the radio to charge. Furthermore, I got a 1.7mm/4.75mm barrel plug harness so that I can charge directly from the charge socket on the back of the radio. Apparently Futaba stopped putting diodes on the charge circuit so no mod is needed. Now I only open it every once in a while to reach the balance plug.
vespa is offline Find More Posts by vespa
Old Feb 13, 2012, 08:31 PM
United States, FL, Miramar
Joined Dec 2007
1,253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by numnutchris View Post
Wont work unless prior setup for 2ail, AIL2 is was not present as we tried it last week.
If 2 aileron was not selected before, then select an aux channel and assign it to J1 and T1 for trim. Same procedure for a second elevator.

Doug.
DougV is online now Find More Posts by DougV
Old Feb 13, 2012, 08:45 PM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa View Post
Salam, I'm still not sure I believe that your radio rebooted. You say there was no control because it was stuck at the model select screen, but then you say "next thing I knew it had rebooted". What about the distinctive song it plays when booting? That's not easy to miss.
I did not notice the distinctive sound since my work environment is not very quite. I use the "QUICK SEL" as "ALWAYS" so if I have selected a model while I am working on it and if I find that my radio is again at the model select menu, that shows it rebooted. The second time it booted the same evening and I was testing it. Placed it on the same sofa and it rebooted. From active model screen to model select screen.

Later I openned the tx, checked all connectors, battery connector, on/off switched and blew some compressed air to clean any dust. I tried again to replicate the reboot and now after I guess more than 2 months even after some heavy bumps, it never rebooted.

The lipo battery plug is really very tight so a loose connection is not a possibility. I like the idea of running a servo extension lead.
SalamSyed is offline Find More Posts by SalamSyed
Last edited by SalamSyed; Feb 13, 2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:25 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougV View Post
If 2 aileron was not selected before, then select an aux channel and assign it to J1 and T1 for trim. Same procedure for a second elevator.

Doug.
Not needed either. Just go to the desired channel and change the function to AIL. It will automatically select J1 and T1 You can have more than one channel assigned to the same function - AIL in this case.

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2012, 06:47 AM
Joined Mar 2011
15 Posts
Thx, I will try this out!
Haware is offline Find More Posts by Haware
Old Feb 14, 2012, 06:49 AM
United States, FL, Miramar
Joined Dec 2007
1,253 Posts
Even better.... Thanks Ivan!

Doug.
DougV is online now Find More Posts by DougV
Old Feb 14, 2012, 10:19 PM
S.A.D. member
United States, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2004
9,646 Posts
Only keep in mind that if you assign let's say two channels to the AIL function, they can work as ailerons only. As mixing is done on the function level, you can not have the two aileron channels perform as flaperons or spoilerons. To do that you need two separate functions - one assigned to each channel, then use a mix from the AIL to the AUX - basically what Doug suggested.

Remember the function assignment works like this:

Controls (sticks, trims, switches, knobs and sliders) -> Functions (AIL, ELE, RUD, etc.) -> Channels (servos physically connected to these channels at the receiver).

You can assign one control to one or more functions. Also you can assign one function to one or more channels.

As I already mentioned above, mixing is performed on the Function level.

Once you figure out these basics, it gets much easier to program the 8FG.

Ivan
ivanc is offline Find More Posts by ivanc
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2012, 08:48 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,320 Posts
Unfortunately, adding a second channel in the function screen does not provide for aileron differential. Note that 2 AIL is the default option, you have to go outta your way to select 1 AIL., so even if your setting up a setting up a simple 4 channel Cub with a single aileron servo, just leave it at 2 AIL, I mean really, every plane I've flow has at least two ailerons. I can see no compelling reason to ever use the 1 AIL option.
Pete
pilotpete2 is online now Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Feb 15, 2012, 08:55 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpete2 View Post
Unfortunately, adding a second channel in the function screen does not provide for aileron differential. Note that 2 AIL is the default option, you have to go outta your way to select 1 AIL., so even if your setting up a setting up a simple 4 channel Cub with a single aileron servo, just leave it at 2 AIL, I mean really, every plane I've flow has at least two ailerons. I can see no compelling reason to ever use the 1 AIL option.
Pete
Confused...how do you set up a 4 channel bird (throttle, ail, rud, elev) with a 2 ail setting? Thought you had to have five channels for that?
StormJunkie is offline Find More Posts by StormJunkie
Old Feb 15, 2012, 09:00 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,468 Posts
I have had a few small warbirds that only used 1 ailerion
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Feb 15, 2012, 09:06 PM
Sponsored by Team de la Peņa
United States, FL, Pembroke Pines
Joined Aug 2008
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormJunkie View Post
Confused...how do you set up a 4 channel bird (throttle, ail, rud, elev) with a 2 ail setting? Thought you had to have five channels for that?
The point here is that if you always select 2 ailerons when setting up a new model (even if it only has 1 aileron or a Y harness); his will allow for future growth and mixing. The spare channel doesn't matter if your receiver doesn't have that channel or if there is nothing plugged into it.

- Birger
bdelapen is offline Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member