SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:47 AM
Brighton UK
Joined Dec 2010
425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo320 View Post
Malcolm, This is how i thought it should work.

I think i have got a fault here. Ever since the model was reset, the camber WILL NOT activate when i select the condition. I have tried all my other models programs and it does not activate on any of them.

When i checked the function screen, camb is LS G. I tried the left slider and it works, but switching the condition does not activate the flaps.

See pics, am i missing something.

Ive tried this with a new model.
Sorry. My mistake. I was in too much of a hurry. Assuming you are using SA as your Distance and Speed Condition switch where the download instructions use SC then assign SA in place of LS for Camber in the Function Menu. If your switch directions are correct that should solve the problem. If not, go back to the download instructions and follow them, replacing every reference to SC with the Condition switch of your choice.
MalcolmHolt is offline Find More Posts by MalcolmHolt
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2012, 11:56 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,194 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa View Post
...only reasonable way....

Blinkered RC'ers; heal thyself.
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:11 PM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2010
753 Posts
Quote:
Sorry if I sound annoyed, but I have an expensive carbon 5m glider, that I've lost all my settings for and needs to be remaidened.
Could that be why I'm slightly annoyed?
I'm sure we can all understand your frustration, but aim that frustration at correcting the fundamental problem, which is the lack of a copy of your obviously complex set-up.

The radio provides more than one way to make sure you always have a spare copy of any model memory you are working on, using one of them would have avoided your current frustration.
Telrin is offline Find More Posts by Telrin
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:14 PM
Whoooo!
Summerville, SC
Joined Jan 2009
1,717 Posts
Ability to program by PC could also include a back up feature for existing models...Come on Futaba, hook us up
StormJunkie is offline Find More Posts by StormJunkie
Old Feb 11, 2012, 01:18 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougV View Post
No yours is not the only one, in fact there's no issues with the 8fg erasing model memory, that is something Vespa came out with, and now the whinners and complainers are using that false claim to complain about the radio.

My 2 cents.....
Doug.
I agree 100%! All the 8FG radios that I have seen always work perfectly and have never had a memory problem.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Feb 11, 2012, 01:26 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telrin View Post
I'm sure we can all understand your frustration, but aim that frustration at correcting the fundamental problem, which is the lack of a copy of your obviously complex set-up.

The radio provides more than one way to make sure you always have a spare copy of any model memory you are working on, using one of them would have avoided your current frustration.
True. But a simple 'Are you sure you want to erase all your current model data' question might of been more informative.

It seems im not the only person this has caught out in the past and i wont be the last.
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
Old Feb 11, 2012, 01:31 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmHolt View Post
Sorry. My mistake. I was in too much of a hurry. Assuming you are using SA as your Distance and Speed Condition switch where the download instructions use SC then assign SA in place of LS for Camber in the Function Menu. If your switch directions are correct that should solve the problem. If not, go back to the download instructions and follow them, replacing every reference to SC with the Condition switch of your choice.
Thanks Malc. Seems to of got there now.

Anyway thanks for that guide. Good job. You mentioned on the last page setting timers activated by switch SF. Please can you elaborate, thanks.

J.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 01:52 PM
Ook!
New Zealand
Joined Aug 2007
1,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespa View Post
As always, my statements are not intended to be factual.
You should put this disclaimer in all your posts in this thread, Vespa
skaffen is offline Find More Posts by skaffen
Old Feb 11, 2012, 01:58 PM
United States, WV, Princeton
Joined Jul 2003
527 Posts
Quote:
What has that go to do with the rudder/ailerons/tow hook/motor/dual rates etc etc. If i removed the flaps i wouldnt expect them to work. But id expect everything else to be the same. Why is that so difficult? Anyone would think programming such a feature would be akin to rocket science.
I guess you didn't understand at all what I was saying. I said that setting the wing type clears all the data because it is basically inserting default mixes and functions to aid in seting up the model. You responded that it's a easy 10 minute programming fix the way you do it, and would just copy the setup out and back in. What I'm saying is that if you copied the data out and back in while changing from a setup using a wing with flaps to a wing without flaps,.,.., You would copy the flap setup right back in.

Of course Futaba could have written some sort of code to handle every possible wing type change and only copy the needed data, then create what needs added, plus delete what isn't needed. Instead they provided a simple setup helper to create the mixes and set the functions for common wing types... And warned everyone that bothered to read the manual what would happen. The only thing Futaba might have added is a warning in the menu.

Cory

PS This liability talk irritates me. Next thing you know Futaba's legal dept will kill the wing type and make us set all the needed mixes and set the function menu up ourselves.
clytle374 is offline Find More Posts by clytle374
Old Feb 11, 2012, 02:15 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,682 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clytle374 View Post
The only thing Futaba might have added is a warning in the menu.
Exactly, if they'd done that it would of saved me no end of faffing around. Maybe they will add one in the next version with telemetry (when that finally arrives in 2015).
Old Feb 11, 2012, 02:16 PM
Brighton UK
Joined Dec 2010
425 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Malc. Seems to of got there now.

Anyway thanks for that guide. Good job. You mentioned on the last page setting timers activated by switch SF. Please can you elaborate, thanks.

J.
I'm glad you've got it sorted.

There's no great mystery about the timers. If you scroll to ST1, for example, on the Home Screen and tap RTN you can set up the various timer parameters. The model setup described in the download uses switch SF to activate both the motor and Start Condition. Accordingly, if you assign SF as the start switch for the timer it will start to time immediately you launch the model. You will need to assign a different switch to stop or the timer will stop when you switch off the motor. I suggest you use SH (momentary switch) and also use this for reset. This will allow you to check that the motor is operating prior to launch and then easily reset the timer to zero. If you are using a 30 second motor run you could set ST1 to thirty seconds to give you an audible countdown. You could then set ST2 with the same switches and an appropriate time to give you a countdown to assist with landing.
MalcolmHolt is offline Find More Posts by MalcolmHolt
Old Feb 11, 2012, 02:24 PM
United States, WV, Princeton
Joined Jul 2003
527 Posts
Maybe that was Futaba's way of adding a little extra punishment for not reading the manual.
clytle374 is offline Find More Posts by clytle374
Old Feb 11, 2012, 02:47 PM
Sponsored by Team de la Peņa
United States, FL, Pembroke Pines
Joined Aug 2008
2,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clytle374 View Post
Maybe that was Futaba's way of adding a little extra punishment for not reading the manual.
LOL.
bdelapen is offline Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:27 PM
Don't take your guns to town
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,608 Posts
Great find Skaffen! Where did you dig that up? Since I see you're not local, I should clue you in on the joke. One of our countless moronic leaders unwittingly coined the phrase and I think it applies to me pretty well.

Malcolm, you're absolutely right (are you ever wrong?). The data-wipe "feature" is clearly described in the manual p.53. Rats!!! Guess that means it's not technically a "bug", just a really stupid fault. But for all you folks defending it as a necessary evil, recall that no other Futaba radio does this. I can add/remove vtail mixers all day long on my 10C and it never deletes the model. Note also that the 8FG can do anything in heli mode, you can change the swash type all you want and it never deletes anything.
vespa is offline Find More Posts by vespa
Old Feb 12, 2012, 04:35 AM
Ook!
New Zealand
Joined Aug 2007
1,496 Posts
I download the Daily Show and Colbert Report most days, so I've heard the sound bite you're referring to! Small world and all that... I don't know how you guys put up with your corrupt political system, those super pacs are a joke
skaffen is offline Find More Posts by skaffen