HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2010, 03:39 PM
Account Closed
United States, OH, Groveport
Joined Feb 2009
2,014 Posts
I have a question coming from a Spektrum DX6i... The binding process in general seems like it could be hit or miss. I don't have any problems binding a RX here at home, but what if I try it at the field where there is a lot of other Futaba 2.4 traffic? The manual even says that it could possibly bind to another TX. Is there a way to get a higher probability that it would bind to my TX rather than some other one? On the Spektrum/JR side you have to tell the TX and the RX both to bind, but looks like Futaba is just the RX. Thanks.
rod.d is offline Find More Posts by rod.d
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2010, 03:50 PM
Crazy Heli Technogeek
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2004
4,205 Posts
With FASST, you don't have to constantly rebind like on Spektrum, the failsafes are programmed from the TX, not set at bind time (then the failsafe settings are communicated across the data stream to the RX). When binding with FASST, you're TX is already on and closer to the RX you are binding to it than the other active TX's on the field, so the RX binds to the strongest signal (just make sure you don't have someone else closer than you are to your model, LOL).

Since FASST doesn't have model match either (which honestly I kind of like not having to deal with), you don't have to re-bind everytime you swap RX's between aircraft (or when you change model memory slots). Because there is no model match, you can even have one aircraft setup for many different purposes (like a slightly different configuration when buddy boxing than when you normally fly it) and be able to switch model memorys at will.

Admittedly, I started out on 72mhz, so I had all my preflight patterns established before I ever went to DX7/DSM2 with model match, so that's probably why I never really appreciated the feature.

Short answer, you bind your RX's once to your TX (not individual model slots) then you don't need to bind again.

-Kai
Kai_Shiden is offline Find More Posts by Kai_Shiden
Old Feb 19, 2010, 04:06 PM
Account Closed
Joined Feb 2009
2,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai_Shiden View Post
... Because there is no model match, you can even have one aircraft setup for many different purposes (like a slightly different configuration when buddy boxing than when you normally fly it) and be able to switch model memorys at will....

-Kai
That is actually a really good argument for not having model match! I see people talking all the time how they can't live without model match, and I hadn't though of it from your perspective.

I guess I was thinking of the binding situation from a "bind and fly" perspective, where I might want to bind someone else's plane to my TX and fly it while we are at the field. It seems less probable with larger planes (since there aren't any micro BNF planes for Futaba that I know of), so probably a moot point. I guess I am a little concerned that there might come a time where I DID need to bind a RX while at the field or an indoor flying event, and that seems to me like it could be a pain. Any thoughts on how to make it more successful? Thanks for the info.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 04:35 PM
Crazy Heli Technogeek
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2004
4,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod.d View Post
Any thoughts on how to make it more successful? Thanks for the info.
Yup, just make sure your TX is on, and is closer to the RX you are binding than the other FASST flyers that are active.

Funny enough, I was flying at the local hobby show just this last weekend, and a buddy was rebinding his um 4-site to his DSM2 radio (a 9CHPS with spektrum airmod), even with the safety precaution of having both the RX and TX in bind mode, his plane bound to someone else's TX that wasn't even on the flightline (luckily whoever it was, was only doing a control check and my friend was able to disconnect the battery before the person did anything with throttle).

He said it was erie to watch when he thought it was bound to his TX, then the controls started doing slow controlled movements, obviously someone doing a control check for reversals.

With Spektrum whichever first bind request an RX hears from any DSM2 TX, is the one it will bind to, where with Futaba it's proximity signal strength based. Each has it's own plusses and minuses, but neither is truely foolproof, I recommend disconnecting the motor during setup configuration regardless of technology employeed.

-Kai
Kai_Shiden is offline Find More Posts by Kai_Shiden
Old Feb 19, 2010, 04:38 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
Quote:
Just keep your Tx closer to the Rx and you should be fine. Maybe as a precaution, you can unplug the throttle channel from the Rx, or disconnect the motor if you have a built in BEC in your ESC. I always have an Rx battery pack in my tool box though. You have to get to the Rx anyway to bind it, so you might as well. It's not really that big of a deal.

About Model Match, I've been trying to make that same point. I can switch Rxs whenever I want and not have to worry about rebinding them. I also often use more than one model memory allotment for the same model. One for what I know works, and another as a test bed for mixes, percentages, and so on. Once I get it dialed in the way I want it, I'll move the settings over to the first allotment, if I want to.

Needless to say the SD card on the 8FG makes me a happy camper.

Edit: I took too long typing, and Kai beat me too it.
Wrend is offline Find More Posts by Wrend
Last edited by Wrend; Feb 19, 2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2010, 07:40 PM
Florida
Joined Nov 2004
6,620 Posts
Hey, No 'binding" in Futaba land. It is called linking.
Greybird is offline Find More Posts by Greybird
Old Feb 19, 2010, 07:50 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
Well, when in Rome, and while talking to a Spektrum owner... But yeah, I get your point.

I use Firefox these days as my main web-browser (love that Adblock Plus add-on ), but I still find myself calling bookmarks favorites instead.

Really though, I guess why I tend to call it binding is because with Spektrum radios it's a more involved process. With Futaba you just link the Tx to the Rx and forget about it.
Last edited by Wrend; Feb 19, 2010 at 10:01 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 04:12 AM
Florida
Joined Nov 2004
6,620 Posts
That re-binding that Spektrum people do all the time would be annoying to me. Futaba
=link once and thats it.
Greybird is offline Find More Posts by Greybird
Old Feb 20, 2010, 04:15 AM
Joined Sep 2003
1,412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybird View Post
That re-binding that Spektrum people do all the time would be annoying to me. Futaba
=link once and thats it.
I don't rebind my spektrum unless if its not bind then i rebind it but u usually only do it once and thats all.
jcervantes11 is offline Find More Posts by jcervantes11
Old Feb 20, 2010, 05:31 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,632 Posts
Quote:
=link once and thats it.
I agree, when I had a Spektrum that was really annoying. With FASST you bind once and itís good forever. Itís much more convenient to have the failsafe menu on the transmitter. Futaba definitely did it right.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Feb 20, 2010, 08:12 AM
Account Closed
Joined Feb 2009
2,014 Posts
Quote:
Hey, No 'binding" in Futaba land. It is called linking.
A friend warned me that Futaba owners can be pretentious . I am sure there are some more vocabulary barriers that I will run into when I get to programming the heli. I already discovered that expo is reversed in this radio from the Spektrum, but actually makes more sense to me on the 8FG.

Thanks everyone for the info. I really like the non-model match feature . It annoyed me that to move a receiver from my heli to my foamy (can't fly the trex 500 in the winter anyway) I had to rebind it on my DX6i. This way seems much better!
Old Feb 20, 2010, 07:28 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
Quote:
A friend warned me that Futaba owners can be pretentious .
And Spektrum owners can't be?

I've seen just as many Spektrum zealots as Futaba (if not more), getting overly defensive of any questioning of the obvious superiority of their radios. It's not the brand that does it.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 08:01 PM
Account Closed
Joined Feb 2009
2,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrend View Post
And Spektrum owners can't be?

I've seen just as many Spektrum zealots as Futaba (if not more), getting overly defensive of any questioning of the obvious superiority of their radios. It's not the brand that does it.
Yup! Seen it myself too. Care to talk about Mac vs. PC?

I think that for what is out there right now, I made the right choice on the move from the DX6i. Given all the factors such as price, features, channels, SPEED, etc, etc, etc... I don't think the 8FG can be beat right now. But then again I am one of those pretentious Futaba owners .
Old Feb 20, 2010, 08:11 PM
Joined Sep 2003
1,412 Posts
I don't rebind my spektrum unless if its not bind then i rebind it but u usually only do it once and thats all.
jcervantes11 is offline Find More Posts by jcervantes11
Old Feb 20, 2010, 09:32 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcervantes11 View Post
Fair enough. But you're probably not switching your Rxs around that often.

Quote:
Given all the factors such as price, features, channels, SPEED, etc, etc, etc... I don't think the 8FG can be beat right now.
I agree.