HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2010, 02:29 AM
San Gabriel Valley, CA
Joined Mar 2008
1,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai_Shiden View Post
P.S. The 7ch mode is high speed as well with a matching RX in HS mode, the multi mode is simply for use with RX's with more than 7ch (R6008HS, and R6014FS/HS).
According to Futaba website, the R6008HS has only 6 ch in Hi speed mode.

"*High-speed mode is available only on Channels 1-6 and requires the use of digital (including brushless digital) servos. Channels 7 & 8 – which operate only in normal mode – can be equipped with either analog or digital servos."

http://2.4gigahertz.com/systems/futk8000.html

I can't resist the $10 for R617FS. I am ordering tomorrow. Thank you guys for the review. I am sold!

Tai
tai626 is offline Find More Posts by tai626
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2010, 03:23 AM
Crazy Heli Technogeek
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2004
4,205 Posts
Channels 1-6 on an R6008HS in high speed mode have the higher refresh rate, the 7 and 8 run normal refresh rate, that's why they specify that digitals are needed on channels 1-6 in high speed mode (because 7 & 8 operate at normal refresh regardless of mode).

Or at least that's how mine seems to work, and how I interpret this quote directly from that page you linked:

*High-speed mode is available only on Channels 1-6 and requires the use of digital (including brushless digital) servos. Channels 7 & 8 which operate only in normal mode can be equipped with either analog or digital servos.

I think where the confusion comes from is that they are referring to "framerate" as "mode", it is more clearly defined in the 8FG manual on page 10 that you can download from here: http://2.4gigahertz.com/downloads/downloads.html

-Kai
Kai_Shiden is offline Find More Posts by Kai_Shiden
Old Feb 06, 2010, 03:50 AM
San Gabriel Valley, CA
Joined Mar 2008
1,756 Posts
So if i have 2 digital servos, 1 in ch 5 as left flap and 1 in ch 7 as right flap, can I set the receiver in high speed mode and both flaps would move at same frame rate and same speed?
Tai
Old Feb 06, 2010, 04:05 AM
Crazy Heli Technogeek
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2004
4,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tai626 View Post
So if i have 2 digital servos, 1 in ch 5 as left flap and 1 in ch 7 as right flap, can I set the receiver in high speed mode and both flaps would move at same frame rate and same speed?
Tai
No, but the 8FG allows any function to be remapped to any output channel, so you could re-arrange the channel outputs to have both the flaps on the highspeed channels by moving a basic function up to channel 7 or 8.

I don't know the type of plane you are asking about, so I can't make assumptions about what channels are important to you to have high framerate response on. I would tend to think that flaps don't need to be a high speed response control, so I would tend to put them up on 7 & 8 and have more vital controls on the highspeed channels.

Another thing to consider, is that if this is for a glider/sailplane, you can make the flaps deploy on a delay as you change flight conditions, so you can setup a flight condition with the flaps deployed and the glider's elevator set to compensate for their effect, and have the delay (settable from 0 to 27sec) "morph" over that delay time to the new flight condition. Pretty darn cool stuff really, I'm using it on my heli for smooth transitions between idle conditions.

Trims are completely remappable and linkable as well, so you could set the throttle trim to adjust flaps instead of throttle.

I have to say I love the flexibility this radio allows (while not sacrificing response speed in the least).

-Kai

P.S. Unfortunately, flight conditional modes are only available in heli and glider programming (for some reason they didn't give that to acro mode configured aircraft)
Old Feb 06, 2010, 04:19 AM
San Gabriel Valley, CA
Joined Mar 2008
1,756 Posts
Thank you, Kai. I was thinking of Full house high performance sailplane (F3B and F5B)
Can I assign ch3 to one of flaps and ch 7 to the motor?
Tai
Last edited by tai626; Feb 06, 2010 at 04:25 AM.
Old Feb 06, 2010, 04:29 AM
Crazy Heli Technogeek
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2004
4,205 Posts
Yup, any function can be assigned to any output channel, I was playing around with the Function submenu (under the linkage main menu) and channel assignment while programming it for my simulator last night. Sure enough you can setup your motor on ch7 and use ch3 for the one of the flaps to keep both flaps in highspeed .

The 8FG is fully capable of all the sticks and sliders being mapped to any channel you want as well, so say if you wanted to have spoilers on the "throttle" stick, and the motor on a slider or even a switch (or a combination of them), you can do that as well.

-Kai
Old Feb 06, 2010, 05:19 AM
San Gabriel Valley, CA
Joined Mar 2008
1,756 Posts
I really appreciate your FASSTresponse!
Tai
Old Feb 06, 2010, 06:44 AM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
Never mind. I figured it out.
Wrend is offline Find More Posts by Wrend
Old Feb 06, 2010, 07:45 AM
Are there crawfish in heaven??
Joined Apr 2004
277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai_Shiden View Post
Yup, any function can be assigned to any output channel, I was playing around with the Function submenu (under the linkage main menu) and channel assignment while programming it for my simulator last night. Sure enough you can setup your motor on ch7 and use ch3 for the one of the flaps to keep both flaps in highspeed .

The 8FG is fully capable of all the sticks and sliders being mapped to any channel you want as well, so say if you wanted to have spoilers on the "throttle" stick, and the motor on a slider or even a switch (or a combination of them), you can do that as well.

-Kai
Yep, this radio is very flexible. I've got a GP Reactor with twin elevator servos. I merely changed the 2nd elevator servo from channel 8 to an unused high speed channel. Piece of cake! Makes it worth the money to have bought all digital servos for this plane. Now all 5 servos are operating in high speed mode. Luv the 8FG.
jcg1112 is offline Find More Posts by jcg1112
Old Feb 06, 2010, 09:38 AM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,156 Posts
I really think Futaba did there homework on this one. I plan on putting the R6008HS in my QQ Yak 54 (currently has an R617FS). Five Hitec digitals on control surfaces and an analog on throttle. Since the 8FG allows full remapping of channels, I can use the HS mode and still retain the analog servo (yeah, I know I should probably get a digital anyway) by putting throttle on ch7 and ignition opto kill on ch8. The 10C would not allow for this, but the 8FG does. Will I see or feel a difference in how the model handles with the high speed refresh mode, beats me
Cheers,
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Feb 06, 2010, 09:55 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpete2 View Post
I really think Futaba did there homework on this one. I plan on putting the R6008HS in my QQ Yak 54 (currently has an R617FS). Five Hitec digitals on control surfaces and an analog on throttle. Since the 8FG allows full remapping of channels, I can use the HS mode and still retain the analog servo (yeah, I know I should probably get a digital anyway) by putting throttle on ch7 and ignition opto kill on ch8. The 10C would not allow for this, but the 8FG does. Will I see or feel a difference in how the model handles with the high speed refresh mode, beats me
Cheers,
Pete
From a menu feature standpoint the 8FG is definitely advanced over the 10C. In fact I would expect Futaba to drop the 10C when the current supply runs out. The FG series (8FG and 12FG) definitely have the most bang for your buck.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Feb 06, 2010, 10:01 AM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotpete2 View Post
Will I see or feel a difference in how the model handles with the high speed refresh mode, beats me
Let us know what you think.

Most of you guys have probably already seen this, but here's a really great review of the 8FG by Chris Batcheller over at RC Universe: http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1184 It goes into pretty good detail and highlights some of the more cool features. Maybe RC Man could update his first post to include a link to it for the curious. Just a thought. Or better yet, someone do as good a review here.
Wrend is offline Find More Posts by Wrend
Last edited by Wrend; Feb 06, 2010 at 10:08 AM.
Old Feb 06, 2010, 10:52 AM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,156 Posts
Don't hold your breathe We have a long way to go to flying season around these parts. Last I looked the outside temp was +5F
I will go out and fly my Slow Stick on skis on milder days with no wind, but I doubt that a Slow Stick is a good test bed for judging the latency of a radio system. BTW, I have the R6004FF on the SS, way more range than needed
Regards,
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Feb 06, 2010, 12:51 PM
United States, FL, Miramar
Joined Dec 2007
1,232 Posts
Guys,

Just an FYI: I will strongly suggest that while on 7CH mode (1024 res) that you keep the throttle on channel 3, since on 7ch mode this is the only channel for fail safe. Also FASST receiver have a feature that if the battery volts drop to 3.8 v, the throttle channel ONLY will go to fail safe to worn you about low voltage, so you can land your model. I’ve seen that feature saving 2 jets and one pattern ship already.

In MULT mode (2048 res), you get fail save on all channels so it really doesn’t matter what channel you use.

JMO,
Doug
DougV is online now Find More Posts by DougV
Old Feb 06, 2010, 01:25 PM
Crazy Heli Technogeek
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2004
4,205 Posts
Great info to have Doug, thanks

I think that so far the only guys who want to move the throttle channel, would be on the R6008HS RX, specifically to get high speed response on their control surfaces, which would mean they would be in multi mode anyways and get full failsafe settings for all channels. As of yet there is no 7ch HS RX, so there wouldn't be a reason for putting the throttle up to ch7 in the case of any model setup with a 7ch or less RX (6016HF/HFC, what's the point, all the channels are HS in HS mode).

I do wish that the manual was more complete, I couldn't find a single reference to when 2048 resolution is active in it. This is not to question the part about 1024 resolution in 7ch mode and 2048 in multi, where can I find more information than is in the manual and on Futaba's site about 2048 resolution? (I definetly think you are correct, their RX page I noticed only certain RX's were listed as having 2048 resolution, some of those with 2048 were not HS capable, and definetly only the RX's >7ch have 2048res).

For those coming new to FASST (like me), a reminder to configure the failsafes on throttle is appreciated (I'm embarrased to say that I didn't check on the setting on the heli I've setup , but I will for sure now). I sure do love the failsafe menu right in the radio though (I was always losing bind plugs with my previous TX, I'm so glad to be free of that part)

-Kai