HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2010, 05:05 PM
Crazy Heli Technogeek
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2004
4,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybird View Post
Thanks for contributing to my state of confusion. Unscientifically, when I went to a 10CHG with an R600HS and BLS451's, from a 7CHP/PCM with 3151's, I became very happy....
LOL, no worries, I'm unfortunately very good at deluging with information .

None the less, I'm overly excited to get home and really dig into playing with my 8FGH. I browsed enough of the manual again (sometimes paper manuals are so much easier to jump around in and casually page through) to get used to the touchwheel programing, because of the tap, double tap, hold and spin programming I figure that memorizing those is the first step to navigating it.

I'm glad that they included a paper manual, so many tech toys are going towards pure digital docs that it get's annoying to not be able to just sit back and page through at my leasure. That and I still like to color tag pages that I think will have to be referenced more frequently (I'm sure that it will end up on my shelf at home by the weekend though, LOL).

-Kai

P.S. The reviews are right though, the included neck strap is a joke, LOL (but I suppose included is better than nothing at all).
Kai_Shiden is offline Find More Posts by Kai_Shiden
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2010, 06:12 PM
United States, FL, Miramar
Joined Dec 2007
1,245 Posts
Hi Kai,

JMHO, I think that the issues you were having was more related to the performance (or lack of) from the AR6100 than the RF link. But any way that's just my opinion.

Hey, did you configured a model with that 8FG yet? don't let that IPOD wheel get to you, it took me 10 minutes to get the hang of it.

Regards,
Doug.
DougV is offline Find More Posts by DougV
Old Feb 02, 2010, 06:27 PM
Terryville,CT (USA)
Joined Mar 2006
417 Posts
Doug,
You mention that you use both DSM2 and FASST but prefer FASST. It sounds like you have good luck with both. What are your reasons for prefering FASST? From the stuff I have read I agree with you but just wondering your reasons.

Thanks,
Tony
HogCrewChief is offline Find More Posts by HogCrewChief
Old Feb 02, 2010, 06:35 PM
Crazy Heli Technogeek
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2004
4,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougV View Post
Hi Kai,

JMHO, I think that the issues you were having was more related to the performance (or lack of) from the AR6100 than the RF link. But any way that's just my opinion.

Hey, did you configured a model with that 8FG yet? don't let that IPOD wheel get to you, it took me 10 minutes to get the hang of it.

Regards,
Doug.
I agree with you about most of the issues I'm seeing being a deficiency in the AR6100 series primarily, specifically in the environments I fly in (as well, it's only my opinion ). They work fine for me outdoors where the RF can disperse, I think it's just as simple as them getting "confused" in 2.4 noisy environments.

Since I only ever went DX7 because I couldn't stay on 72mhz anymore, I am ready to move on and up to a TX that has at least the features my original 9CHP has .

Buying all new DSM2 replacements for my AR6100's doesn't appeal to me (one of those "why should I have to" situations ), I might as well go to the system I want to anyways (going x9503 would have gained me nothing than more features). That and my recent bad experience with trying to go AR6110 and having it fail on me for something that I believe should have been caught in their QA process, giggle it a bit and it power cycles, no matter the power source (have another friend with an AR6100E with a similar problem, his was a connection in the RX that he was able to fix).

I'm still at work, so I haven't gotten a chance to do anything other than play with the radio, but I'm already getting used to the touch pad and mostly liking it . I do wish the TX had an optional setting to lock the touchpad automatically on powerup, but that's a minor complaint (my palm bumps it when I'm holding the TX comfortably, but it isn't a big deal to 1sec press the S1 to lock the touchpad).

It's also weird getting used to programming with just one hand, I'm used to pulling my left hand down to hit controls on both sides of the screen (how cool would it have been if they had gone twin touch pads ).

I'm going to swing by a local hobby shop on the way home and see if they have R6106HF's in stock (tower was out when I ordered).

I actually plan on setting up my primary Ricco SE on it tonight regardless, and leaving my backup Ricco on my DX7 for now, the two helis are nearly identical configuration (only difference between them are the motors, but the power between them is extremely close), so it will be really interesting to fly them back to back to compare feel.

-Kai

P.S. I love the second home screen with the big timers
Old Feb 02, 2010, 07:11 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai_Shiden View Post
P.S. I love the second home screen with the big timers
Almost worth the price of admission
I'm one of those old coots that wears glasses only for reading only (arms are too short) I love the idea of actually being able to check my remaining time while flying. When you use timers, it's amazing how many fewer dead sticks you have and how much longer your lipos will last in the electrics, gee Dad no puffed lipo
Best of luck with the new radio. You sound almost as excited as little Ralph getting his Red Ryder BB gun with the compass in the stock! Just don't shoot your eye out kid
Regards,
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Feb 02, 2010, 07:23 PM
Terryville,CT (USA)
Joined Mar 2006
417 Posts
What is the deal with the home screen with the big timers? Also, I read that this radio has 8 proportional and 2 on/off switches. What is the purpose of the on/off switch and would it be used for on airplanes? Are the on/off switches assignable?
Old Feb 02, 2010, 07:28 PM
United States, FL, Miramar
Joined Dec 2007
1,245 Posts
You press the the dial once and you can see the timers real big

With the 2 digital channels you can use: Retracts, Lights, bombs, bomb bay doors, on-board glo system, landing gear doors, scale details, pilot heads, canopies, pop-out ladders, folding wings, beer can opener for the pilot.

Doug.
DougV is offline Find More Posts by DougV
Last edited by DougV; Feb 02, 2010 at 07:46 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2010, 07:29 PM
Terryville,CT (USA)
Joined Mar 2006
417 Posts
Thanks. Doug I am going to send you a PM.
Old Feb 03, 2010, 06:00 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,778 Posts
Quote:
Hi RC Man,

Ok, that's interesting. I use both systems and prefer FASST, but I’ve never heard about issues with the DSM2 link, I know about the lock-out/brown-outs with the batteries and or receivers, but never with the RF link.

Can you please elaborate on how you determined that it was LINK related? It will be good info.

Regards,
Doug.
I think that most of the problems are related to brown out and ESD on helicopters. Sometimes Spektrum receivers will totally lock up and you have to cycle power to get them to start working again. For some reason it seams that helicopters have a more sever environment when it comes to radios. Same helicopters with FASST are rock solid.

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Last edited by RC Man; Feb 03, 2010 at 06:09 AM.
Old Feb 03, 2010, 09:59 AM
AMA# SIMAGES
Hudson Valley
Joined Dec 2006
2,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwings View Post
Just an FYI to any future 8FG buyers.....I noticed that the latest MAN magazine has an ad for Futaba purchase of a FASST radio system and for $10 more you get a R617FS receiver over the counter on the spot. Sounds like a good deal!!!!I just got approval from my accountant to pursue a radio purchase. Just have to get to the nearest hobby store to handle one first.
Quote:
And if you're Tower Hobbies club member, you can use code #014E7 for $60 discount and free shipping. Doug
I was going to wait until this summer to purchase a T10CHG however; yesterday I could not pass up the 8FGH Rx Combo deal with the Extra R617FS Rx offer! And yes as a member, I used the $60.00 Off coupon #014G7 plus the shipping was waived...... total price $429.

And when I have a need for 10 channels, I'll pickup a R6014HS to take advantage of the 8 fully proportional 2048 step resolution channels and the 2 on/off digital channels.....
simages is online now Find More Posts by simages
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by simages; Feb 03, 2010 at 10:02 AM. Reason: anal retentive correction
Old Feb 03, 2010, 11:23 AM
Crazy Heli Technogeek
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2004
4,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
I think that most of the problems are related to brown out and ESD on helicopters. Sometimes Spektrum receivers will totally lock up and you have to cycle power to get them to start working again. For some reason it seams that helicopters have a more sever environment when it comes to radios. Same helicopters with FASST are rock solid.

I very much agree with that assessment of what's more normal, however my circumstance is unique, as I'm running an aluminum framed LAheli Ricco, with shaft drive tail (no belt), with a 50% oversized switching BEC (checked draw with a servosense, and with my eagletree), so both ESD and brownouts are already ruled out of my equation (RF and EMF are what's left over, and I'll be honest it is a small heli, packed very tight, so EMF might be an issue).

I apologize to those Spektrum users who thought I was just banging away at Spektrum, I thought I was making it clear that my circumstances are clearly in the minority with the RF noisy indoor environment I fly in, and with how crowded the air is when I'm willing to go up and fly.

While I believe that the AR6100's are the majority of my problem, if they can't reject extra noise without overloading their processor then IMO it is still in a way an RF noise issue (in the way that I care about, if it causes my aircraft to crash and spending money on new RXs is the only way to resolve it ). My setups fly great outdoors and when there aren't a lot of radios on in the hangar, but increase that number enough and it starts having lag issues (and eventually locks out).

I have 6 AR6100's of various software versions, funny enough my oldest ones have been the most reliable when the hangar is crowded. I presume that the later firmware has more "bloat" load on the processor so experience the issues sooner. I only have 2 other DSM2 RX's, so switching/upgrading now gradually seemed to be a more logical choice to me than buying all new Spektrum RXs for my models (that and the 8FG is IMO, FREAKING AWESOME!!! ).

-Kai

P.S. Whoever said the manual sucks on the 8FG was right though, but I played around enough with the TX last night programming my Ricco to figure out the unclear segments (flight condition delay and the gyro setting options are killer, if a bit unclear in the manual ).
Old Feb 03, 2010, 05:29 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,778 Posts
Need Acro setup advice

I fly mainly helicopters but am trying to set up an airplane and need some advice.

1. What does the Motor and Idle Down menus due. I tinkered with them but it does not seam to have any effect on the throttle servo. What are they supposed to be used for?

2. Is it possible to have multi throttle curves or is that only a helicopter function. Can I use mixers to due the same thing?

RC Man is offline Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Feb 03, 2010, 09:59 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
806 Posts
Quote:
I fly mainly helicopters but am trying to set up an airplane and need some advice.

1. What does the Motor and Idle Down menus due. I tinkered with them but it does not seam to have any effect on the throttle servo. What are they supposed to be used for?

2. Is it possible to have multi throttle curves or is that only a helicopter function. Can I use mixers to due the same thing?

RC Man,

I fly mainly planes (both glow and electric) and dabble with helis. I do not have the 8FG (yet) but have read through the manual. The idle down menu will likely be more specific to glow or gas powered planes. It allows you to set a switch to lower the idle a bit more for landing approaches as the engine will idle a little higher coming in than when idling on the ground. This avoids having to fumble with the trim while trying to land in order to slow the engine down without over trimming and killing the engine on approach . It also allows a toggle to cut the throttle completely without having to use the throttle trim to shut the engine off....closes the carb that last bit to restrict air flow. This is a nice feature when you have digital trims, as you do not get the same reference by touch compared to the slider trim like on some of the older radios or the JR which do not use the digital trim on throttle. Hope this makes sense.....and anyone using the feature, please chime in if I am off track.

As for Q#2 I do not know.

Well just gave it some thought - not sure why on a plane you want anything other than a linear throttle control. Would be interested to know your reasoning for needing it.

I think you would set the throttle and idle down this way:

- set up your servo and throws so that you open and close fully with the stick to both extremes without binding. You will likely want to ensure trim down all the way on close does not bind...so adjust as required. This will ensure that if you do use trim to shut engine off, you do not have too much trim throw and cause binding by over trimming.

- once you are happy with the throw and no binding, trim back to where you would get a decent idle on the ground

- go into the "throttle cut" menu, select your switch and set the travel to close the carb but not bind.
This would be your throttle cut to shut the engine off.

For the Idle down, you will likely need to fly the plane to know how much is required to bring the idle down for landing, or use the menu setting while idling on ground to bring the idle down a bit more than what you have it trimmed for to run reliably on the ground. Each engine is different, so it may take some tweaking to get it bang on. Should be pretty much same process to set the idle down as described above only not close all the way.

Once programmed, basically what you should see when you move the throttle stick down all the way, the carb would remain open slightly to give you a good idle. Hit your idle down switch you programmed and if you put in a travel amount (%), you should see the carb close a bit further. Hit the throttle cut switch you programmed, and the carb should close completely provided you entered a travel amount (%). Flip switches back so throttle is partially open and stick is down all the way. Then close the throttle via the trim and ensure it closes but there is no binding. This will ensure you can still shut down without having to rely on the switches....just in case.

BTW - These switches will only activate while the throttle is in the low stick position so to avoid accidentally flipping the switch and killing the engine in flight.

Hope that helps. Multiple edits to try to get it as clear as possible.
rcwings is offline Find More Posts by rcwings
Last edited by rcwings; Feb 03, 2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2010, 11:30 PM
Joined Sep 2003
1,412 Posts
Quote:

And idle up mean 3d in heli to have equal possitive pitch as negative pitch most people setup their possitive more then negative anyways idle up is to do aerobatic in helis, and idle down is normal flying wtihout inverting and such. Trottle hold, brings urI motor to idle in helis, trottle hold brings ur trottle low so the plane wont move yet still running. Idle up and down is especially made for helicopter since you are force to have it to do 3d.
jcervantes11 is offline Find More Posts by jcervantes11
Old Feb 03, 2010, 11:32 PM
Joined Sep 2003
1,412 Posts
Also in idle up trottle curve would be a v like 100 75 50 75 100 but this is for helis. For planes well like heli mode and plane you can customize how you want it to act.
jcervantes11 is offline Find More Posts by jcervantes11