HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 10, 2009, 08:02 AM
Florida
Joined Nov 2004
6,614 Posts
You know if that one is as fast as the 10C, it just might be worth trying.
Greybird is offline Find More Posts by Greybird
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2009, 08:40 AM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMayberry
As per the origional post... Anyone? I'm anyone. Have a good reason? I did,showing that a similar priced radio offers many more features and functionality as well as lower cost of outfitting models.

Mike.
Mike. you know full well you are not "anyone" in the sense of the online forums. You are a vendor who came into a thread about a competitor's radio and directed people towards your product.

I thought that was against RCG policy, but apparently I am wrong about that. Clearly people appreciate you pointing them to a cheaper alternative, so I'll just let it be.
Silent-AV8R is online now Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Old Aug 10, 2009, 09:19 PM
Joined Feb 2007
13 Posts
Take a look at this:

http://www.futabarc.com/radios/feature-compare.html
cvause is offline Find More Posts by cvause
Old Aug 11, 2009, 03:04 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,354 Posts
Do any other brands besides Futaba that use SD cards?
RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Aug 20, 2009, 05:45 AM
United States, FL, Miramar
Joined Dec 2007
1,232 Posts
Check out the software on the new 8FG, similar to my 12FG.
http://www.rcmania.hk/?c=article&d=view&id=275

Doug.
DougV is offline Find More Posts by DougV
Old Aug 20, 2009, 09:43 AM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,156 Posts
Very clever how they hid the slider controls
Doug,
Thanks for posting the link!
I like the 10C a lot, but for the money this would be a great replacement for my 9Cs sometime down the road.
I really like the idea of packaging it with the 8 channel receiver, they should do the same with the 10C, How many people are actually using the extra 2 on/off channels.
I prefer the SD memory card over the Campac, even though it means redoing my setups, temporary pain, longtime gain
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Aug 28, 2009, 02:18 PM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
I stand corrected, The 8FGA DOES have proportional sliders and sailplane programming!

Wow...

There's alot of good gear coming out now. All 'clean-sheet' digital designs from the ground up:

Airtronics SD-10G

Hitec Aurora 9

and now Futaba with the 8FG
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 28, 2009, 09:01 PM
RC pilot,AMA Member.
Northeast PA
Joined Sep 2007
1,176 Posts
Spektrum has been doing these clean sheet Digital designs for about 3 years...
Honestly though,You get a lot more radio in the Aroura,Mikes comment would really save the OP,I have handled the Hitec and browsed through its screens...Punishing him would be like a cop pulling over a guy (for speeding) that has a huge dragon chasing him...
The 8fg does look a little bland in its design for 2/3 the price of my laptop they better make it look less like a toy... and I'm waiting for apple to sue them...Its a good idea...but it does not belong to Futaba.
sonicjet is offline Find More Posts by sonicjet
Old Aug 29, 2009, 12:12 AM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicjet
Spektrum has been doing these clean sheet Digital designs for about 3 years...
Honestly though,You get a lot more radio in the Aroura,Mikes comment would really save the OP,I have handled the Hitec and browsed through its screens...Punishing him would be like a cop pulling over a guy (for speeding) that has a huge dragon chasing him...
The 8fg does look a little bland in its design for 2/3 the price of my laptop they better make it look less like a toy... and I'm waiting for apple to sue them...Its a good idea...but it does not belong to Futaba.

Nope, not quite.

Legacy Radios converted both cosmetically and internally to use DSS - 2.4GHz tech:

Spektrum DX6 - rebadged and retrofitted JR SX600
Spektrum DX7 - rebadged and retrofitted JR 7202
JR 9303 2.4 - retrofitted JR X9303

---------------------------------------

Futaba 6EX - retrofitted 6EA
Futaba 7C - retrofitted 7CAP

Futaba 10C - Probably last 'legacy' radio designed originally for 72MHz use. Altered last minute with FASST branding before hitting store shelves.

Rest of current Futaba lineup are retrofits via modules

----------------------------------------

Airtronics RDS8000 FHSS - retrofitted RD8000

Big thing about the above 2.4GHz radios is that NONE of them will hang level with a neckstrap without a strap relocation clamp.

The clean sheet 2.4GHz designs: DX5, DX6i, SD-10G and now the 8FG are made to naturally balance without the 72MHz 'fishing pole.'

Something as small as that means alot to some when it comes to flying comfort. Especially folks who stay up for an hour or even more. (Sailplane pilots, XC guys, etc.)

Me, I'm excited to soon be able to purchase a 100% clean-sheet new-generation 2.4 radio that has not only the technology we've all come to love, but the ergonomics we've come to expect.

-S
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 29, 2009, 12:35 AM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
There was an earlier thread about this radio too. I might end up having to get it...
Wrend is offline Find More Posts by Wrend
Old Aug 29, 2009, 05:17 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,354 Posts
Why does no one else use the SD data storage cards?
RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Aug 29, 2009, 07:28 AM
RC pilot,AMA Member.
Northeast PA
Joined Sep 2007
1,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogChief
Nope, not quite.

Legacy Radios converted both cosmetically and internally to use DSS - 2.4GHz tech:

Spektrum DX6 - rebadged and retrofitted JR SX600
Spektrum DX7 - rebadged and retrofitted JR 7202
JR 9303 2.4 - retrofitted JR X9303

---------------------------------------

Futaba 6EX - retrofitted 6EA
Futaba 7C - retrofitted 7CAP

Futaba 10C - Probably last 'legacy' radio designed originally for 72MHz use. Altered last minute with FASST branding before hitting store shelves.

Rest of current Futaba lineup are retrofits via modules

Airtronics RDS8000 FHSS - retrofitted RD8000

Big thing about the above 2.4GHz radios is that NONE of them will hang level with a neckstrap without a strap relocation clamp.

The clean sheet 2.4GHz designs: DX5, DX6i, SD-10G and now the 8FG are made to naturally balance without the 72MHz 'fishing pole.'

Something as small as that means alot to some when it comes to flying comfort. Especially folks who stay up for an hour or even more. (Sailplane pilots, XC guys, etc.)

Me, I'm excited to soon be able to purchase a 100% clean-sheet new-generation 2.4 radio that has not only the technology we've all come to love, but the ergonomics we've come to expect.

-S
...I was talking about the DX6i...was that 07 or 06...hmmm...my mind sometimes goes blank.
Quote:
Why does no one else use the SD data storage cards?
Because only .5% of all modelers need 1024 model memorys,For the average user its a bit of a gimmick,and they try to force you to buy the SD card from Tower(Hobbico/Futaba's pet store.) by giving the radio a small internal capacity, in fact...anyone notice how the radios page does not specify model memory...Does it have any?!
sonicjet is offline Find More Posts by sonicjet
Old Aug 29, 2009, 09:33 AM
United States, FL, Miramar
Joined Dec 2007
1,232 Posts
The SDCard is not just for model memory. It's more so we can update the radio at home and so we can have copies of the models. Very nice feature if you ask me.

Doug.
DougV is offline Find More Posts by DougV
Old Aug 29, 2009, 09:45 AM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,007 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicjet
Because only .5% of all modelers need 1024 model memorys,For the average user its a bit of a gimmick,and they try to force you to buy the SD card from Tower(Hobbico/Futaba's pet store.) by giving the radio a small internal capacity, in fact...anyone notice how the radios page does not specify model memory...Does it have any?!
The 8FG holds 20 models internally. Then you have to add a $15 2GB card which is readily available at any Walmart, Best Buy, Staples... Heck even my local grocery store has SD cards in the checkout line.

.5% of all modelers NEED 1000 model memories? I challenge you to find one. The point is, IF you support SD cards, then you support all sizes... which is 32MB to 2GB.

I loved the fact that Futaba included an SD card slot on the 12FG and that was a big part of the deciding factor in my purchase.

It's great that they're passing some of these features down to the less expensive radios.

-Jay
CyberJay is offline Find More Posts by CyberJay
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Parkzone 51" Sport Cub
Old Aug 29, 2009, 01:30 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
Yeah, the SD card seems like a very convenient way to go to me too. I have an SD jump drive like converter that lets me plug them right into my USB port. You can get SD cards up to 32 GB (or more) now too; more room than anyone would need for their radio.
Wrend is offline Find More Posts by Wrend