HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 01, 2011, 10:42 AM
Diverted by planks
South Florida
Joined Dec 2010
5,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougV View Post
Futaba has just released more new software for the 8FG.

1) Model Quick Select Screen
Select up to 4 models from a special home screen

2) Model Select Screen
Optional special power up screen to select the active model from

3) Timer Alarms
The timer alarms can now be turn on or off from the System menu

4) Battery Low Voltage Alarm
The 8FG Low Voltage Alarm can now be configured for 6 cell NiCd or NiMH: 6.8v, 2S LiFe: 6.0-6.2 v, 2S LiPo: 7.2- 7.4 v.

5) Servo Test
The servo test function will no longer operate when the Throttle Cut is on, or when Throttle Hold is on. This will prevent any unwanted movement of the throttle control

6) Power Mode Screen
The Power Mode Screen can now be quickly accessed during power up by holding the RTN button down while turning on the transmitter. This allows quick access to the Range Check feature as well as the RF on/off feature.

7) Motor Stick Position Warning (airplane/glider)
This warning can now be turned off when the throttle stick is used for non-throttle purposes.

8) Governor Function (helicopter only)
This provides automatic reset of throttle endpoints for a Futaba Governor. The system will prompt to set the endpoints to 100/155 when using a Futaba governor or to 100/135 when a governor is not being used.

Doug.
No freakin' way!!!!!!

Hats off to whoever made this call -- Seems SW updates, whether they are for browsers, or for operating systems or whatever never fix what *I* have problems with, but this one is an arrow through the heart of the short list of *very* minor issues I had with this radio.

Specifically, four of those things are 'nits' I personally had already experienced and did not like about this otherwise superb Swiss-army-knife of a radio. And the others would likely have bugged me some day, when I become advanced enough to use a governor, glider-specific controls, etc.

Amazing.

This just renewed my faith in and allegiance to Futaba -- they clearly are listening to the voice of the customer!
tracknoob is offline Find More Posts by tracknoob
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2011, 10:47 AM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
803 Posts
Quote:
Hey guys... FYI: from Steve.

Futaba has just released more new software for the 8FG. You can download the latest update free from http://www.futabarc.com/software-updates.html

Here is a list of what is included:

2) Model Select Screen

3) Timer Alarms

The 8FG Low Voltage Alarm can now be configured for 6 cell NiCd or NiMH: 6.8v,
2S LiFe: 6.0-6.2 v, 2S LiPo: 7.2- 7.4 v.

5) Servo Test
The servo test function will no longer operate when the Throttle Cut is on, or when Throttle Hold is on. This will prevent any unwanted movement of the throttle control

6) Power Mode Screen
The Power Mode Screen can now be quickly accessed during power up by holding the RTN button down while turning on the transmitter. This allows quick access to the Range Check feature as well as the RF on/off feature.

This warning can now be turned off when the throttle stick is used for non-throttle purposes.

This provides automatic reset of throttle endpoints for a Futaba Governor. The system will prompt to set the endpoints to 100/155 when using a Futaba governor or to 100/135 when a governor is not being used.

Doug.
Cool. Thanks for the highlights Doug!
rcwings is offline Find More Posts by rcwings
Old Sep 01, 2011, 11:37 AM
Sponsored by Team de la Peņa
Miramar, FL
Joined Aug 2008
2,575 Posts
Quote:

Futaba has just released more new software for the 8FG. You can download the latest update free from http://www.futabarc.com/software-updates.html

2) Model Select Screen

3) Timer Alarms

The 8FG Low Voltage Alarm can now be configured for 6 cell NiCd or NiMH: 6.8v,
2S LiFe: 6.0-6.2 v, 2S LiPo: 7.2- 7.4 v.

5) Servo Test

6) Power Mode Screen

Doug.
Thanks Doug,

Still no servo slow I see

- Birger
bdelapen is offline Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 01, 2011, 01:27 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,530 Posts
Thanks for the update tip !

I never updated B4 as it came with the latest.

But it was pretty easy to do and I didn't loose any of my programming either.

Wooowhooo !

Bob
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Sep 01, 2011, 02:09 PM
Sandy Springs, GA
Joined Jul 2008
504 Posts
Quote:

6) Power Mode Screen

Doug.
Interesting on the Power Mode Screen. This is how it now works on my system and has since the beginning. In fact I used this method just today at the field to range check my 8FG and GP RV-4. I have always done it this way because I got in the habit of doing it this way with my 7C Fasst system. It seems it has always been there but just not documented.

Bruce
landeck is offline Find More Posts by landeck
Old Sep 01, 2011, 02:10 PM
3D Legion: "for we are many"
United States, CO, Highlands Ranch
Joined Sep 2003
2,870 Posts
Intresting that they have LiPo voltage on there because when I called to ask they said not to use a LiPo.
aerosheldon is offline Find More Posts by aerosheldon
Old Sep 01, 2011, 02:27 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
803 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by landeck View Post
Interesting on the Power Mode Screen. This is how it now works on my system and has since the beginning. In fact I used this method just today at the field to range check my 8FG and GP RV-4. I have always done it this way because I got in the habit of doing it this way with my 7C Fasst system. It seems it has always been there but just not documented.

Bruce
Yes this feature has always been there, the enhancement is that when in this mode/screen, the model name is now displayed.
rcwings is offline Find More Posts by rcwings
Old Sep 01, 2011, 03:58 PM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,530 Posts
A LOT of good will "Could" be afforded to us if the manufacturers would just
put LIPOS in the tx's in the 1st place !

They are IN everything else we use.
The charging and monitoring chips are cheap and readily available.

If they can figure out FASST and DSMX they MOST ASSUREDLY can figure out LIPO's

What is stopping them ?

A few after market battery sales ?

Cheeez N Rice !!!!

Just DO IT ! PA LEEZ !
Old Sep 01, 2011, 04:04 PM
Fit to CFIT
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,541 Posts
It's pretty simple. Americans will not pay the extra money for a Lipo and will sue Futaba into oblivion if we so much as drop the lipo on our toes and bruise them. Meanwhile, the rest of the world actually cares about the environment so they restrict the use of nasty Nickel-based batteries.
vespa is offline Find More Posts by vespa
Old Sep 01, 2011, 04:19 PM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,530 Posts
I'm hacked off re NiMh batteries altogether ! for many reasons.

NiCd is sooo yesterday.

I use Lipos in ALL my other TX's and will start using them in my t8fg very soon.
Old Sep 01, 2011, 04:21 PM
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Hadsten
Joined Jul 2010
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay View Post
A LOT of good will "Could" be afforded to us if the manufacturers would just
put LIPOS in the tx's in the 1st place !
But well they are! Here in Europe, Futaba/Robbe is selling the T8FG with an original 2800mAh Li-Ion battery and 8.4V charger. I believe the battery has built in protection circuitry
Tomve is offline Find More Posts by Tomve
Old Sep 01, 2011, 04:29 PM
CNC Cutter
Joined Dec 2005
8,530 Posts
I just found these GOOD FITTING 2800 lipos at Leader for $13
http://www.leaderhobby.com/product.asp?ID=9394001224906

HOW are the EU guys charging their TX lipo paks ?

Is Futaba supporting the charging function in EU as well ?

USA problem - I'd guess then its the Importer !

How do Dinosaurs live with themselves ?
Old Sep 01, 2011, 05:03 PM
Sweden
Joined Sep 2007
266 Posts
I got my T8FG Super today bought in Europe. Came with a 2800 mAh LiPo. Included is also a regular wall plug charger that you plug into the TX as normal. Puts out 500 mAh.

I have to say I really like this TX! And I have just barely scratched the surface of what it can do. I had 4 flights with it today and itīs awesome!
Freddan is offline Find More Posts by Freddan
Old Sep 01, 2011, 06:12 PM
Auckland
Joined Mar 2010
285 Posts
Hello all
I have had this lovely Tx for just over a month now, and thanks for the info re updating -- really simple and all went successfully. The attached PDF info explained it all, and the new model select is much less cumbersome.
Some observations:
I moved from the A9 for various reasons, including the cheaper Frsky FASST compatible receivers.(Frsky are developing a really good track record, so I feel pretty confidant with their equipment)
*compared to the A9
1)ergonomics are way better (smaller hands)
2)I find the programming a whole lot easier (when I got used to it). The touch screen should make things much simpler, but as a few folk here have noticed, this is not always the case.
3)battery life much better. For some ridiculous reason I seem to be getting a whole lot more time then the 4 hrs so far.
4)the clean lines are just that much more sophisticated in my opinion.
5)switch quality just that much better and the stiffer sticks fantastic.
6) Planes that I know well from the A9, are just so much easier to fly. I struggle with knife edges at times, and without realising it, with 8FG these are happening easily without thinking.

So all in all, another happy flyer.
unhinged is offline Find More Posts by unhinged
Old Sep 01, 2011, 06:28 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
Didn't see this one coming ahead of time, but then I haven't been surfing around the web as much lately. Too busy at work.

They just keep making this radio better, and better... and better.

Wrend is offline Find More Posts by Wrend