Relion > Lipo
jholen is offline Find More Posts by jholen
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 07, 2011, 12:39 AM
Sink Stinks
Orange County, CA
Joined Aug 2004
4,555 Posts
The Relion cells are great, I've used them for years in giant scale planes and helis. Once warning, DO NOT LEAVE them ON. Once dead they are dead. End of story. But other than that they are robust cells, that you can trust and charge in the TX. They do have a 1C charge limit on them, but 2600 mAh should get the normal human through an entire day if not full weekend of flying. Plus they hold their charge between use with very little charge loss.
Silent-AV8R is offline Find More Posts by Silent-AV8R
Old Jun 07, 2011, 12:47 AM
Sponsored by Team de la Peņa
United States, FL, Pembroke Pines
Joined Aug 2008
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougV View Post
I'm planning on getting this one soon: http://www.rcaccessory.com/pe2600tx-2S.aspx

Doug.
I have two of these. Love them. When they get down to 7.2v - 7.0v I swap one out for the other and then take the spent one, charge it at my next charge session and put it back into my bat box so that it's ready to go. I only have to do this every 8 - 10 flight session or so.

- Birger
bdelapen is offline Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 07, 2011, 04:48 AM
Geelong, Australia
Joined Oct 2006
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmHolt View Post
In response to Aussie_flyer

Having never used a JR 10X I am not in a position to make a comparison but can comment on some of your specific questions.

The 8FG has a good range of dedicated mixes, five programmable mixes and the hugely flexible Function Menu which allows you to allocate any function to any channel with any control and trim of your choice. Inevitably some people will come up with things that the radio cannot do but, in terms of programmability, it should more than meet the needs you outline. Because of its flexibility it is often possible to emulate features for which there is no obvious dedicated provision, though this can require a bit of ingenuity. e.g. reduced servo speed for flap deployment.

There are five flight modes (Conditions) in glider mode but, curiously, not in Airplane mode. However, if you want to use the Flight Conditions, you can simply program your power model in glider mode and allocate a throttle in the Function Menu. You lose some of the minor dedicated mixes such as throttle cut but these can generally be replaced via program mixes if required.

Programming is very straightforward though the manual is absolutely dreadful. On almost every page it repeats in monotonous detail instructions for accessing each feature but offers almost no explanation of the purpose of these features. To a newcomer to R/C it must be very daunting but a modeller of your experience should pick it up pretty quickly.

Multi engines are simple to set up as you can allocate the same throttle stick to several channels but use a different trim lever for each. I would use the two dials (LD and RD) as the trims for each engine on a twin. You can, of course, also set the end points and sub-trims independently for each throttle servo.

As for the stick gimbals, they felt a bit light-weight at first but I quickly got used to them and the transmitter is probably the most comfortable to use that I have ever owned.
Thanks for your info,
some more on my rationale,
Some more info too on my choice process.

I have even looked at the Hitec Module which is due in Australia shortly for the JR, but I also fly petrol, and the recent Hitec/Optic kill issue reported all over the forums has really made me go for the Futaba 2.4 ghz system,
so it's down to "Which model Tranny?".

Plus, I want to get away from a module (no particular reason).
There are "runoirs", the 12FG is due to be replaced, but don't know much else.
aussie_flyer is offline Find More Posts by aussie_flyer
Old Jun 07, 2011, 11:19 AM
who dares wins
London,England
Joined Apr 2005
1,853 Posts
Hi Aussie Flyer

I've got 7 planes flying with R617FS futaba receivers, pattern, 3d and edf, I have not had a single glitch since I switched about 3 years ago. Before that I would have at least a few every time I went to the flying field, and a few of those were not handy to say the least.

Another big plus of Futaba is no 'brownout' that JR/Spektrum users talk about, apparently the Futaba RX can operate down as low as 1.7 volts im told.

I'd imagine the 18MZ will be the first dedicated telemetry radio available to buy, if your thinking along telemetry lines when you mention the replacement of current radios. With the keenly priced 8fg now being 12 proportional channel capable, it makes me wonder what the future (FASSTEST) futaba radio lineup will look like
like2fly! is offline Find More Posts by like2fly!
Old Jun 07, 2011, 12:39 PM
United States, WV, Princeton
Joined Jul 2003
527 Posts
Never quite understood the telemetry thinking. Other giving an alarm if something is outside of a defined parameter, I can't look at the screen long enough to even check my timer.

If you need a copilot, telemetry might as well be a second unit.
clytle374 is offline Find More Posts by clytle374
Last edited by clytle374; Jun 07, 2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old Jun 07, 2011, 05:10 PM
War is over (if you want it)
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,665 Posts
Yes Futaba receivers will run on extremely low voltage and have a near-instant reboot in the event you manage to go below that. I have somehow managed to run the batteries down on a slope plane twice(!) such that it began acting weird in the air (double-centering). Both times I landed successfully and found that the battery was ~3V with only 3 or 4 of the 6 analog servos still working. I expect it's not possible to brown out a Futaba RX simply by loading servos with a dead batt since even basic analog servos (HS-81) will quit before the RX.

Which brings me to the often misunderstood telemetry. It's not supposed to be a dashboard that you use to fly by instrument. It's for occasional real-time checking of important things like the launch height of a sailplane to help improve your technique. It's for logging info about your flights for later evaluation (top speed, stall speed, sink rate, rpm, current, etc.). And most of all, it's to provide the essential (see story above) low battery alarm!
vespa is offline Find More Posts by vespa
Old Jun 07, 2011, 05:33 PM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
I never had a signal glitch nor a brown out of any kind using my Futaba systems in many many planes and helis for years now. Wondering if it ever happens (which I doubt) will the led be blinking like Spektrum receivers which tells the rx lost a signal/glitched or rebooted? Blinking LED for my fellow flyers using Spektrum is not an unusual thing.

Just curious......
SalamSyed is offline Find More Posts by SalamSyed
Old Jun 07, 2011, 05:42 PM
War is over (if you want it)
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,665 Posts
No. Futaba receivers stupidly do not provide any indication of weak/lost packets -- a critically valuable feature for dealing with sensitive 2.4G antenna installations. Of course telemetry could tell you this in real-time by beeping your transmitter so you would not only be able to judge your install and test your range, but also detect antenna damage before it's too late.
vespa is offline Find More Posts by vespa
Old Jun 07, 2011, 05:52 PM
Fly Low-Fly 3D-Fly Often
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Oct 2009
5,566 Posts
Ahhh... okay. I guess Futaba is not much concerned about the radio link like others, so never bothered to integrate such a feature.
SalamSyed is offline Find More Posts by SalamSyed
Old Jun 07, 2011, 06:35 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
838 Posts
Been using my 8FG for over a year now in both electric and glow and has been glitch free!!! Even purchased one of the Orange FASST compatible units to see for myself, and it too is rock solid. I test flew a buddies glow Bipe with Spectrum on the weekend, and I swear it experienced a sudden glitch. We sort of shrugged it off, and I did not want to push the usual razzing my buddy of Futaba vs Spectrum.

On another note - spent a good part of last night trying to reprogram a couple planes that are still on my old JR radio.......and I am glad I made the switch to Futaba as could have done it in 10 minutes on the 8FG without referencing any notes or manual like I had to with the JR. Don't get me wrong, I really like my old JR radio as it has been good to me and was a difficult choice to make to go with Futaba. I just find the Futaba programming much more intuitive and configuring to be a breeze.
rcwings is online now Find More Posts by rcwings
Old Jun 07, 2011, 07:56 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,468 Posts
I couldn't be happier with my 8fg. Best dang radio I have bought!!!!
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Jun 07, 2011, 09:35 PM
Pittsburgh Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Mar 2004
1,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
I couldn't be happier with my 8fg. Best dang radio I have bought!!!!
I second that............
air mail rcg is offline Find More Posts by air mail rcg
Old Jun 07, 2011, 11:25 PM
too cheap to be a Plus user
USA, WA, Richland
Joined Nov 2009
1,287 Posts
+1, I like the 8FG so much that I'm thinking about buying another so that I have a spare Tx.

Doug B.
dougbo is online now Find More Posts by dougbo
Old Jun 08, 2011, 01:26 PM
Australia
Joined Oct 2010
145 Posts
+1 too. I love my 8FG
GoneFusion is offline Find More Posts by GoneFusion