HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2009, 12:10 AM
Rsetiegerd Uesr
USA, AR, Cave Springs
Joined Apr 2005
3,052 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Wesley View Post
I'm not a wealthy fellow, just a a guy that wants most reliable system and I can buy for under $500. Is this the one?

I currently use a 9303 and I love it, but I need to switch to 2.4, and I don't want to use Spektrum.

Is the 8FG compatable with the older 2.4 receivers like the R617FS?
http://2.4gigahertz.com/receivers/index.html

The chart at the bottom of this page indicates the 8FG will work with ALL air FASST receivers.

I don't feel qualified to answer your first question.. But I do feel confident that you will be happy with this radio... I love my 12FG but I do not need everything it does. 8FG probably fits my needs better, but I'm not changing now.

-Jay
CyberJay is offline Find More Posts by CyberJay
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2009, 07:08 AM
Faster!
United States, NV, Sparks
Joined Oct 2004
1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberJay View Post
http://2.4gigahertz.com/receivers/index.html

The chart at the bottom of this page indicates the 8FG will work with ALL air FASST receivers.

I don't feel qualified to answer your first question.. But I do feel confident that you will be happy with this radio... I love my 12FG but I do not need everything it does. 8FG probably fits my needs better, but I'm not changing now.

-Jay
Good, thank you for getting that information, its good to know that I can use a selection of Rx's, especially when i find good deals on them used here on RCG.

I'm looking at my switch to 2.4 as at lest a 10 year "investment", if you can call it that.

Another gentleman gave me the Aurora pitch, but I just can't get excited about Hitec products anymore. There was a time they lead the parkflyer/electric movement with the HS-55 and HS-81s, but since then they've been surpased in both quality as well as value. I remember all the hits I took with my Optic outfitted with the Sprectrum Modual. I then switched to the 9303 using the same receivers and the hits went away. Maybe it was just a coinicedence, but I know what I saw, and I haven't lost a bird to a hit since.

If anyone else wants to chime in and let me know if this is "the one" for under $500, lets here from ya!

-Joshua
Joshua Wesley is offline Find More Posts by Joshua Wesley
Old Dec 02, 2009, 08:56 AM
United States, FL, Miramar
Joined Dec 2007
1,242 Posts
Joshua,

If you like the 9303, you will love the options/ flexibility you'll get with the Futaba radios/programing.

But if you really want to stay with the 9303 then you can use this module http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXMV8&P=0 and use all FASST receivers (air)

Or just get the 8FG, its a very nice radio.

Doug.
DougV is offline Find More Posts by DougV
Last edited by DougV; Dec 02, 2009 at 09:04 AM.
Old Dec 02, 2009, 01:11 PM
United States, NY, Medford
Joined Oct 2008
386 Posts
Futaba 8FG or 10C

I need to upgrade my transmitter. I have decided to stay with Futaba due to the reliability of their FAAST. I currently own the 6EX 2.4 that I have owed for 2 years. It has been a great radio but, I have now outgrown it's features. Now I need help in choosing from the New 8FG or the 10CAG 2.4. I have read both specs and, they are both great. I think this will be the last transmitter I would buy. Please! do not tell me I should go for the 12C or the 14Z, I do not want to spend all that money! I have 5 R617FS recievers that I think would work with both transmitters I like. Which one to choose, with the reason why!

Thanks
pryor808 is offline Find More Posts by pryor808
Last edited by pryor808; Dec 02, 2009 at 01:29 PM. Reason: ADDED AG to the 10C
Old Dec 02, 2009, 01:46 PM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,206 Posts
I'll make case for the 8FG.
Let me first say that I already have a 9C and FASST module, I plan on getting the 8FG for next flying season.
First, the 8FG is less expensive than the 10C, true it only comes with an 8 channel receiver, but for me that's not a bad thing.
The 8FG can be upgraded via the SD card, which also gives you virtually unlimited model memory capacity.
The 8FG is an all new design for 2.4Ghz, AFAIK it is the first 2.4Ghz radio that balances correctly with a neck strap.
You can't go wrong with either radio and your R617FS receivers will work fine, as will any (even the old R606FS) FASST air receiver will work with either radio.
For me there is the inconvenience of having to reprogram all my model in the 8FG. I think this is a small price to pay for the features that the 8FG bring to the table, like the ability to assign functions to any channel, rather than being locked into the fixed assignment of the four primary flight controls. JR does this and calls it servo sync because it allows you to have dual elevator, or aileron servos on sequential channels.
Good luck,
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Dec 02, 2009, 03:34 PM
USA, CA, Merced
Joined Dec 2007
504 Posts
the 8FG has more(effectively unlimited) model memories through it's use of an SD card, the 10C required CAMPAC modules for expansion, and the 8FG also has the possibility of firmware upgrade through the SD slot as well.

other differences are;

Hardware:
the 8FG has quad bearing gimbals, the 10C is bushed(big deal imo)

the 8FG has 6x3-pos and 2x2-pos (1 momentary, 1 toggle) with 2 knobs and 2 sliders

the 10C, which has 2x3-pos and 6x2-pos(1 momentary, 5 toggle) with 3 knobs and 2 sliders

as mentioned, the 8fg balances correctly on the neckstrap, the 10C would require an adapter to do so (not a big deal imo)
Software:
the 8FG has complete channel assignability, the 10C doesn't (big deal imo)

the 10C has 7pt curve definition. the 8FG has 5pt curve definition

the 10C has 8 mixes, 4 linear and 4 curve. the 8FG has 5mixes, all curve defined.

the 8FG has support for analog (aka stick) switching, the 10C doesn't

the 10C has support for logical switches, the 8FG supports it only for condition switching
the 8FG has charging and buddy boxing requirements alike to the 12FG, they both use a 7.2v battery instead of a 9.6v and have a different charge plug to prevent accidents.

buddy boxing the 8FG or 12FG is somewhat non-ordinary, you need a special cable to use the 8FG or 12FG(7.2v) as the instructor to a 9.6v radio. you can(must) use a normal buddy cable to use the FGs as student units. but at least the 8FG and 12FG support channel reordering, so cross-brand buddy boxing doesn't require special electronics to reorder the pulsetrain (which is what the horizon JR->Fut unit does)

as for a final decision and supporting argument : I would get a 10C modular version, I think being able to plug in a spektrum module for a BnF goody, or a hitec AFHSS module, or a 72mhz Module is a nice set of options to have, and I think the 10C has a better mix of features for a sport pilot. (buy used and save! :-D)

if you're a hardcore heli flyer with no intention of using the radio for planes or gliders, then the 8FG is probably a better option, but only in that specific instance IMO.

and, to reiterate my earlier post, I can't whole-heartedly recommend either the 10C or the 8FG over the SD-10G or A9 (with preference for the SD-10G in many cases), unless you're dead-set on FASST or you intend to purchase a Futaba pro radio in the future and intend the 8fg or 10c as a stepping stone/ future 2nd radio.

and just to future proof this post, if futaba ever adds acro flight modes, full logical switching, more p-mixes, or finer curve definition to the 8FG through software updates, that would significantly affect my recommendations.
DannyZRC is offline Find More Posts by DannyZRC
Old Dec 02, 2009, 05:02 PM
Wind Happens
So California
Joined Feb 2009
88 Posts
bigslopegrin is offline Find More Posts by bigslopegrin
Last edited by bigslopegrin; Jan 08, 2010 at 03:55 PM.
Old Dec 02, 2009, 05:59 PM
USA, CA, Merced
Joined Dec 2007
504 Posts
the sd-10g has one extra 3-pot switch and 2 momentaries that are up on the inside shoulder of the top of the TX and nearly flush, I don't really think it can be fairly labelled a porcupine in comparison to any other TX, as the configuration is entirely conventional and similar.

as far as glider mixing: the SD-10G has : more points to define curves, more included mixes, and the same number of p-mixes and flight conditions.

the only notable difference I can see is that the 8FG uses the futaba pro level scheme for rates, which means you get a certain number of alternate rates, which you then assign to a control (ail/elev/rudd/etc), and enable by some switch. you get 5 such alternate rates(on any control), in addition to the 3 base control rates of the flight condition

the SD-10G uses a more conventional schema of 3 rates (the base for the condition and 2 alternates) multipled by the 3 axis, giving you 3 base + 6 alternate rates (2 per axis)

unless I'm missing something major, and I'm open to that fact since I'm not an expert level sailplane radio programmer, I don't see how one could make the argument that the 8FG is a better glider radio than an SD-10G, but I can easily see the reverse argument because of the 2 additional proportional channels and extra momentary switches.
Old Dec 02, 2009, 06:15 PM
Faster!
United States, NV, Sparks
Joined Oct 2004
1,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougV View Post
Joshua,

But if you really want to stay with the 9303 then you can use this module http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXMV8&P=0 and use all FASST receivers (air)

Or just get the 8FG, its a very nice radio.

Doug.

No way! That modual is so cool! I've got to rethink this. Is the response time of the servos a factor of the 2.4g receivers, or the newer transmitters? Seems like my fathers 2.4 is far quicker to respond to my inputs than the 72mhz.

-Joshua
Joshua Wesley is offline Find More Posts by Joshua Wesley
Old Dec 02, 2009, 06:25 PM
Wind Happens
So California
Joined Feb 2009
88 Posts
bigslopegrin is offline Find More Posts by bigslopegrin
Last edited by bigslopegrin; Jan 08, 2010 at 03:54 PM.
Old Dec 02, 2009, 06:50 PM
USA, CA, Merced
Joined Dec 2007
504 Posts
goodness, I'm very embarassed to say that I misread that post as a statement that the 8FG had superior mixing options, which isn't what you said.

sorry to have misread you!
Old Dec 02, 2009, 07:52 PM
United States, NY, Medford
Joined Oct 2008
386 Posts
8FG or 10CAG

DannyZRC,

You have concluded that the 10C Modular Version would be your choice as you wrote:

As for a final decision and supporting argument : I would get a 10C modular version, I think being able to plug in a spektrum module for a BnF goody, or a hitec AFHSS module, or a 72mhz Module is a nice set of options to have, and I think the 10C has a better mix of features for a sport pilot.

But, I would not need to use a Spectrum Module or any other brand at that. Would you still reccomend a 10CAG. I can get a great deal on the transmitter only. It's all I need.

Paul
pryor808 is offline Find More Posts by pryor808
Old Dec 02, 2009, 08:00 PM
USA, CA, Merced
Joined Dec 2007
504 Posts
I think the 10CAG isn't as good value as it's predecessor the 10CAP, but all of the programming points remain. I think the modular capability represents a tangible advantage that the G versions lack, but I would still recommend the 10CAG over the 8FG, but by a less clear margin.
Old Dec 03, 2009, 09:34 AM
The Northeast Kingdom, Vermont
Joined Jun 2004
5,206 Posts
Hi Danny,
I appreciate the point about the modular flexibility, but in my case I already have a 9C with FASST and Spektrum modules, which I intend to keep as a backup and for the BNF stuff.
I'm really leaning towards the 8FG, but have to actually get one in my hands for the final decision
Pete
pilotpete2 is offline Find More Posts by pilotpete2
Old Dec 03, 2009, 10:12 AM
Joined Dec 2006
833 Posts
I have the 10C modular version. If it was between the 8fg and the 10C non-modular version, I would get the 8fg. It has better gimbals, more 3-pos switches, and larger memory.

If you have to choose between the 10C modular version and the 8fg, I would go with the 10 modular. I fly planes but recently picked up a spektrum modual to fly the BnF stuff. Very fun. I got a MSR and I am having a blast flying inside on windy days! The other ultra micro planes are on my Christmas list!
Mera'din is offline Find More Posts by Mera'din