Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 22, 2011, 11:34 PM
Joined Dec 2010
44 Posts
Thanks for replying, Vespa. The Gaui's gyro has two remote-controllable items: a toggle between Hover and Cruise (thus my use of a switch on the 8FG) and the gain setting that ranges from 0 to 100%.

I don't understand your suggestion to "add 50". To put my question another way, is there a way to configure a trim slider to range from 0 to 100 instead of plus or minus a midpoint? To an old audio guy this is like trying to use a pan-pot to adjust volume!

Good suggestion about the throttle trim, provided it can be used to control the gain properly. BTW, the Gaui requires the radio to be configured for an Airplane so if the radio has some sort of built-in gyro control I don't know how to access it.

Any elaboration will be much appreciated.
twalp is offline Find More Posts by twalp
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 23, 2011, 12:24 AM
Fit to CFIT
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,505 Posts
Twalp,

Some things (e.g. rudder) are defined as -100% 0% +100%. Others, like flaps are defined only as 0% 100%. Either way the TX outputs the same signal - only the number you see on the screen is different. So 0% flaps is equal to -100% rudder, 50% flaps is equal to 0% rudder, etc. It's just shifting/redefining the scale.

In the function menu define your switch channel as AUX1 or similar and define the gain channel as a gyro. Here you can also set the trim tab as the control but it's easier to get it setup first on a knob/slider. Then in your gyro menu you should see the control go from 0-100%.

All this is assuming a single simple gain. I don't know your gyro but some use 0-50% as rate mode and 50-100% as heading hold. In that case choose AVCS as the gyro type and it will disguise all that complexity for you. Otherwise choose "standard" gyro and you'll have a simple 0-100% gain range.

Use the servo monitor screen to see what it's doing. If you want 40-60% gain it should appear as 10% above or below neutral for "standard" gyros or 70-80% above for HH. I'm guessing this is a quadrotor and I know nothing about Gaui gyros either way but I would bet that the gain is simple 0-100% (not HH/AVCS style) and that the switch enables the accelerometer.

Of course you can leave the channel named AUX3 or Flap1 or whatever, it will still work exactly the same, but calling it a gyro can help with the math and helps with tuning. For example you can "hard-code" the gain to be 47% and then set the throttle trim or slider to add/remove 9% to that. This is handy as you can make fine adjustments for wind, weight, or aerobatic mood.

Edit: I just looked at my radio and found that the nice gyro menu only exists in "Heli" modes. The glider gyro menu sucks. For that reason I would suggest setting up a quadrotor as a "Heli" and just choose a swash type that has no mixing.
vespa is online now Find More Posts by vespa
Last edited by vespa; Jan 23, 2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 03:33 AM
numnutchris
Joined Sep 2009
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwings View Post
Hey Birger,

When setting up the 8FG for use with these receivers, are you supposed to configure to Multi-ch mode or 7-ch mode? The instructions are not clear with the compatibility of these receivers.

Marko
They work in both modes, of course, as they are compatible with "all" TX:es, well I can only confirm 6, 7, 8 and 10 (incl G resp. TM-10). Available channels depend of mode (and TX) - dont put any servos in unused CHs. Disable FS (in Tx). Also note if Rx is in HS or Normal mode, power it up (without Link, TX off) and check the speed of the status LED; we got some in normal and some in HS by default and analog servos arent supposed to be used in HS mode...

(The Rx automatically sets protocol/nr. of channels when binding, either 7ch or multich, if you change protocol in 8FG you have to re-bind)

Edit: Forgot we got some with the orange shell around christmas and they were "not futaba compatible" - the futaba/hitec slot/notch is missing; either have to work the shell, remove it (and shrinkwrap as with early version), or work the servo connectors.
numnutchris is offline Find More Posts by numnutchris
Last edited by numnutchris; Jan 23, 2011 at 07:20 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 07:48 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,413 Posts
I burnt up my hitec hs65mgs by putting my receiver in HS mode by accident.
losifanatic is online now Find More Posts by losifanatic
Old Jan 23, 2011, 08:50 AM
Joined Jul 2010
17 Posts
Funjet Setup

Can somoene please give me the way to program the 8g for the funjet or any other plane that has just 2 ail that are used for ail and elev? Been all over and can not find. I can find bits but not all inclusive setttings. Thanks in advance.

mike
mshick68 is offline Find More Posts by mshick68
Old Jan 23, 2011, 09:05 AM
Sponsored by Team de la Peņa
Miramar, FL
Joined Aug 2008
2,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshick68 View Post
Can somoene please give me the way to program the 8g for the funjet or any other plane that has just 2 ail that are used for ail and elev? Been all over and can not find. I can find bits but not all inclusive setttings. Thanks in advance.

mike
Hi Mike,

Wing type is "Flying Wing", 2 Ailerons no flaps.
Tail type "Normal" (though it really doesn't matter).

- Birger
bdelapen is offline Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2011, 09:07 AM
Sponsored by Team de la Peņa
Miramar, FL
Joined Aug 2008
2,566 Posts
Quote:

mike
For more information see page 54 in the manual. Specifically the first picture in the second section (Tailless wing).

- Birger
bdelapen is offline Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:07 AM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by numnutchris View Post
They work in both modes, of course, as they are compatible with "all" TX:es, well I can only confirm 6, 7, 8 and 10 (incl G resp. TM-10). Available channels depend of mode (and TX) - dont put any servos in unused CHs. Disable FS (in Tx). Also note if Rx is in HS or Normal mode, power it up (without Link, TX off) and check the speed of the status LED; we got some in normal and some in HS by default and analog servos arent supposed to be used in HS mode...

(The Rx automatically sets protocol/nr. of channels when binding, either 7ch or multich, if you change protocol in 8FG you have to re-bind)

Edit: Forgot we got some with the orange shell around christmas and they were "not futaba compatible" - the futaba/hitec slot/notch is missing; either have to work the shell, remove it (and shrinkwrap as with early version), or work the servo connectors.
Thank you numnutchris.
rcwings is online now Find More Posts by rcwings
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:21 AM
numnutchris
Joined Sep 2009
412 Posts
Quote:

mike
Did you really search in this thread for FunJet? See post 1201:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1201

After choosing model type you can look at the servo menu to see how the servos work, before making any changes to the mix or servo directions.
numnutchris is offline Find More Posts by numnutchris
Last edited by numnutchris; Jan 23, 2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 12:50 PM
Fit to CFIT
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,505 Posts
Quote:
I burnt up my hitec hs65mgs by putting my receiver in HS mode by accident.
What?!! Really? I've tried every kind of servo I can find and the only trouble I have seen is with some really really old (1980's) or crappy (HS-55) servos the center may be off, they may jitter, and/or at one extreme of travel they go crazy. The 65 is a good modern servo, I can't believe it would not be compatible. Can you elaborate?
Old Jan 23, 2011, 01:05 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,413 Posts
I had had my reciver set up on my brothers radio b/c I forgot to bring my radio to fly with my brother(You know you always forget to bring somthing) So the next day I was at home and set it back up on my radio. I rebinded it and didnt know anything about HS mode. So I accidently put it in there. I got some weird jitters??? I was liek OK what the heck. I unplugged the battery let it sit for a moment. and then hooked it back up. Jiters went away. SO I took off and flew. All was good for about the first min or so. Then my plane started acting up really bad. Plane crashed and went to go find out why. Well my 3hs65mg servos didnt work. My one hs5065servo was still working OK. I brouight everything inside to find out what happened. I hooked up another hs65 and it was jittering like the last ones did. I unplugged it and hooked up another servo(hs5245) it worked fine. Was kind of boggled??? So I then hooked up the servos to another reciver to see if that was the issues. Well the new hs65 didnt jitter. The digital servos worked to. I thought the the reciver was bad. Thats when I noticed the light on it was different. I then read the receiver manual about HS mode and found that was the issues.

So all in all 3 hs65mgs died. Apperently it burned up the board in it. I took the gears out of them for spares
Old Jan 23, 2011, 01:28 PM
Fit to CFIT
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,505 Posts
Wow! Good to know. I'd guess that the servos were jittering in the air and simply overheated. What voltage was this at?
Old Jan 23, 2011, 01:29 PM
USA, KS, Derby
Joined Mar 2003
1,473 Posts
As what I gathered HS mode is for digital servo and running any analog servo in digital mode will burn the servo. So I think that explains why it burnt your HS65 servos.
ricoalonso is offline Find More Posts by ricoalonso
Old Jan 23, 2011, 01:34 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,413 Posts
I believe it was 5.5volts none adjustable
Old Jan 23, 2011, 01:36 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricoalonso View Post
As what I gathered HS mode is for digital servo and running any analog servo in digital mode will burn the servo. So I think that explains why it burnt your HS65 servos.
I buy only digital servos now . So I dont have to worry about it again and I get to use the HS mode