HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 21, 2011, 09:55 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Oct 2007
16,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrend View Post
You couldn't with some of the previous updates, so you might not be able to.
Thats scary.

I think I got a good deal on my 8fg. Its coming with a SB reciver too. I got it for $404 plus $3 shipping!
losifanatic is offline Find More Posts by losifanatic
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2011, 12:32 AM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
Thats scary.

I think I got a good deal on my 8fg. Its coming with a SB reciver too. I got it for $404 plus $3 shipping!
That sound like a pretty good deal! Hope you like it as much as I like mine.
rcwings is offline Find More Posts by rcwings
Old Jan 22, 2011, 12:54 AM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
Welcome to the 8FG owners' club.
Wrend is offline Find More Posts by Wrend
Old Jan 22, 2011, 07:50 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,468 Posts
Thanks, Very excited about it!
Old Jan 22, 2011, 02:31 PM
myp
Joined Oct 2007
1,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by losifanatic View Post
Thats scary.

That's a great deal. Where did you get it?
myp is offline Find More Posts by myp
Old Jan 22, 2011, 06:48 PM
Joined Dec 2010
44 Posts
Need help translating recommended setting to 8FG?

I want to use an 8FG to control a Gaui 330X quadrocopter. One of the recommended settings for the quad is to control the gyro's gain from the transmitter using Gear channel 5.

I've assigned switch SF and the trim slider LS to this function. I can see they control the gyro. But...

When looking at the 8FG's Servo display the trim slider adjusts plus or minus "50". I don't understand how to translate this to instructions like "adjust gain between 40% and 60%". The latter refers to a linear adjustment from 0 to 100% (I assume) but the 8FG's trim adjustment is plus or minus some mid-point value.

See, I'm confused!
twalp is offline Find More Posts by twalp
Old Jan 22, 2011, 07:12 PM
Sippin the Koolaid!
Joined Oct 2007
16,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by myp View Post
That's a great deal. Where did you get it?
http://shop.tomsrc.com/index.php?cPath=21
Old Jan 22, 2011, 07:45 PM
War is over (if you want it)
Thousand Oaks, CA
Joined Mar 2004
2,665 Posts
twalp, add "50" to your numbers to make sense of it. I don't follow your plan of using a switch and slider for the gain though -- what does the switch do?

Another way to set it up is to rename it "gyro" and then use the gyro menu. Then you will see it in the 0-100% form you like. Another tip is to use the throttle trim tab to adjust your gyro gain -- this way it always stays where you left it.
vespa is offline Find More Posts by vespa
Old Jan 22, 2011, 08:28 PM
Foam is where the heart is
Australia, NSW, Como
Joined Aug 2010
2,280 Posts
Hi,
I'm in the market for a new radio, earlier than I expected.
My first radio was a DX6i which I thought would do me for at least a couple of years, not just 3 months.

Now I'm in the market for a second first radio but wondering if I should go upmarket a little and get at least an 8 channel (NOT A DXi8).
My choice would be between this and the Aurora 9.
I must admit I like the look of the Aurora and its large display but am also swayed by Futaba's reputation for reliability.

The one thing that does put me off somewhat, and many others too, is the price of receivers. I'll be needing at 1/2 dozen for the changeover.
I am interested on people's thoughts on the Frsky receivers for parkfliers and foamies.
brett.c is offline Find More Posts by brett.c
Old Jan 22, 2011, 09:14 PM
Sponsored by Team de la Peņa
United States, FL, Pembroke Pines
Joined Aug 2008
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett.c View Post
Hi,
I'm in the market for a new radio, earlier than I expected.
My first radio was a DX6i which I thought would do me for at least a couple of years, not just 3 months.

Now I'm in the market for a second first radio but wondering if I should go upmarket a little and get at least an 8 channel (NOT A DXi8).
My choice would be between this and the Aurora 9.
I must admit I like the look of the Aurora and its large display but am also swayed by Futaba's reputation for reliability.

The one thing that does put me off somewhat, and many others too, is the price of receivers. I'll be needing at 1/2 dozen for the changeover.
I am interested on people's thoughts on the Frsky receivers for parkfliers and foamies.
I have 7 planes with this receiver:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14300

Including a 6 servo e-retract Parkzone P-47 as well as a Parkzone Habu that I fly very hard (3600KV motor). I have had no issues at all with these receivers, no glitching and no range issues so from me they get two thumbs up.

That being said, I do have genuine Futaba receivers in planes like my 130MPH Fun Jet, my VooDoo Speed 400, my 70mm composite EDF's, my 26cc Extra 330 (e-conversion) and my 1/4 scale Monocoupe.

Although they would probably fly all my planes fine I have kept them out of anything above 100MPH and anything above $500 all in cost. This is just my personal preference.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

- Birger
bdelapen is online now Find More Posts by bdelapen
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 22, 2011, 09:49 PM
Foam is where the heart is
Australia, NSW, Como
Joined Aug 2010
2,280 Posts
Thankyou for your reply and your common sense approach.

I've been using the HK DSM2 receivers for my smaller parkies without any issues, except for when the transmitter randomly decides to put the elevator to full up. At $7.95 a pop they are sure cheap.

If and when I get my DX6i back, and if they fix it (I'm guessing they'll say there's nothing wrong with it) then I might just keep it for my smaller planes and upgrade to Futaba for things like my EZ* and future planes.
brett.c is offline Find More Posts by brett.c
Old Jan 22, 2011, 09:51 PM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdelapen View Post
I have 7 planes with this receiver:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14300

Including a 6 servo e-retract Parkzone P-47 as well as a Parkzone Habu that I fly very hard (3600KV motor). I have had no issues at all with these receivers, no glitching and no range issues so from me they get two thumbs up.

That being said, I do have genuine Futaba receivers in planes like my 130MPH Fun Jet, my VooDoo Speed 400, my 70mm composite EDF's, my 26cc Extra 330 (e-conversion) and my 1/4 scale Monocoupe.

Although they would probably fly all my planes fine I have kept them out of anything above 100MPH and anything above $500 all in cost. This is just my personal preference.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

- Birger
Hey Birger,

When setting up the 8FG for use with these receivers, are you supposed to configure to Multi-ch mode or 7-ch mode? The instructions are not clear with the compatibility of these receivers.

Marko
Last edited by rcwings; Jan 22, 2011 at 09:59 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 12:07 AM
Joined Aug 2008
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwings View Post
Hey Birger,

When setting up the 8FG for use with these receivers, are you supposed to configure to Multi-ch mode or 7-ch mode? The instructions are not clear with the compatibility of these receivers.

Marko
I hear they work on both but I have not tried them yet as I have not had the need for that 8th channel so far. They also have a High Speed setting but again, I have not tried that either as I have not had the need.

- Birger
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2011, 12:08 AM
Joined Aug 2008
2,618 Posts
Quote:
I hear they work on both but I have not tried them yet as I have not had the need for that 8th channel so far. They also have a High Speed setting but again, I have not tried that either as I have not had the need.

- Birger
What I'm trying to say is that currently I have all of them on 7-channel mode.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 23, 2011, 12:14 AM
North Simcoe Flyers
Midland, Ontario, Canada
Joined May 2007
837 Posts
Quote:
What I'm trying to say is that currently I have all of them on 7-channel mode.
OK thanks.