to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 03, 2012, 04:29 AM
United States, CA, Elk Grove
Joined Dec 2011
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLife View Post
Has anyone checked this out yet?
I was going to about a month ago since I was in the area, but by the time the job ended it started raining with some heavy winds. So I decided to just go home. I might be able to check it out this Friday.

*crosses fingers*
Alpha_Geist is offline Find More Posts by Alpha_Geist
Old Apr 03, 2012, 11:10 AM
Foam flogger
Roseville, CA
Joined Apr 2009
1,144 Posts
Wind has been bad for weeks now. Forecast looks like 10mph days for a while to come. Anyone know a good sloping hill nearby?
Belem is offline Find More Posts by Belem
Old Apr 03, 2012, 07:42 PM
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Nov 2011
93 Posts
Time to break out the kites. I flew one of my drones this morning, from the Vinyard site. Kinda windy (forgot my new wind-sock) great for hand launches but not much when it came time to land. Between the wind and my bad trim, my video was preety useless. I'm waiting for some good sun and light winds so i can 'drone" the railyards...
DTFB Aerowerks is offline Find More Posts by DTFB Aerowerks
Old Apr 04, 2012, 11:48 AM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,513 Posts
Belem... Folsom Dike 8 is still around, but the parking area has been occupied by construction work. I can't think of a better place to slope in Sac though... might be worth the walk if you're going to spend a day sloping.

Normally wind doesn't bother me. It changes things up and keeps flying interesting. OTOH last week I could have used less wind to trim my new heli. I was antsy to get the maiden in, and the big winds nearly scared me off. It was impossible to trim with any precision, but fortunately the 450 was way more stable than what I'm used to so it went well. When I hovered it the next evening in no wind, I found my ele/ail trims were a little off... around 15 clicks each, LOL!

Anyhow, looks like the wind is going to cooperate this week, and Sunday (2-5mph/73F) is looking to be our first kick butt flying Sunday of the year!

Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:29 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2009
47 Posts
Hey All

It was great meeting you. This is Jeff Looking forward to flying with you all. Thanks for the tips and Adam sorry about your Parkzone!!!! talk later. Jeff
RCGIJOE09 is offline Find More Posts by RCGIJOE09
Old Apr 22, 2012, 09:46 PM
New Beeeeee
Joined Apr 2011
1,037 Posts
Hi Jeff!

This is Ruben, Welcome and glad to have you!
RUBNorris is online now Find More Posts by RUBNorris
Old Apr 22, 2012, 11:33 PM
Joined Dec 2011
347 Posts
I'm glad you were able to make it out today! It's great seeing new faces here. We all look forward to flying with you. Hopefully next weekend?

Thanks about the mustang. It sure was fast while it lasted. LOL It's all part of the hobby. Next time I'll be sure to gain more altitude before trying evil kenevil stunts. Heheheh
Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:04 AM
I wanna fly like this
Joined Jan 2011
171 Posts
Adam, sorry about the pony. Just wish you'd planted it near my missing Twinax. LOL!!

Jeff, great to meet you and look forward to flying with you in the future. Also, check out this other place we "Pirates" hang out.

www.parkflysac.com

Bob
HighLife is offline Find More Posts by HighLife
Old Apr 30, 2012, 11:08 PM
I wanna fly like this
Joined Jan 2011
171 Posts
I picked up a GWS Formosa airframe at RC Country's swap meet for $20. I used 9g servos for the tail feathers and fitted 2 9g, one for each aileron. Get up and go is provided by an eflite Power 10 on 3S. This sucker scoots along well. Like it's on rails with unlimited vertical. Think I'll get another and fit it with flaps. Landings are very hot.
Old May 02, 2012, 08:58 PM
Joined Dec 2011
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLife View Post
I picked up a GWS Formosa airframe at RC Country's swap meet for $20. I used 9g servos for the tail feathers and fitted 2 9g, one for each aileron. Get up and go is provided by an eflite Power 10 on 3S. This sucker scoots along well. Like it's on rails with unlimited vertical. Think I'll get another and fit it with flaps. Landings are very hot.
I've heard people programing spoilerons on some of the PZ warbirds. I haven't tried it yet, but that might be a possible alternative before trying flaps. Seems like a possible downside is lack of roll to fine tune landings with the spoilerons deployed though.
Old May 02, 2012, 11:00 PM
I wanna fly like this
Joined Jan 2011
171 Posts
Flaperons? Possibly. Not sure yet.
Old May 19, 2012, 11:32 AM
I wanna fly like this
Joined Jan 2011
171 Posts
Swap meet 5-20-2012 @ Hobbytown USA from 8am-noon. Get there early! They will be setting up around 6am. Northeast corner of E. Bidwell and Broadstone Parkway in the Broadstone Plaza.
Old May 20, 2012, 10:22 PM
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Nov 2011
93 Posts
E-Clpse!

How's about that Annular Eclipse that happened tonight!?! I wanted to fly during it but my signals were scrambled! I'm not sayin' it was some supernatural, extraterrestrial interference or anything; well hell, it could'a been that last glass of wine I had; But I'm here to tell ya my plane was grounded during the whole darned thing.
DTFB Aerowerks is offline Find More Posts by DTFB Aerowerks
Old May 21, 2012, 12:06 AM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,513 Posts
What the!!!

Call it what you want, but I was flying at Grantline today, and at about 5:30p today my Eclipse was involved in a WOT head on collision with my buddy's AT-6 funfighter. With the scale of the tiny planes and closure speed involved (over 200mph), there was little either of us could have done to avoid this freak accident. I was coming down the front straight, left to right, about 60' up WOT as usual, then all I saw was a yellow streak from the corner of my eye... and BOOM!!! I was in disbelief when heard the loud pop, followed a micro second later with a cloud of parts confetti scattering 100+ of yards across "the hole". The whole thing looked like a Patriot missile intercept. Besides not having this event on video , I couldn't have asked for a better ending for my beloved little racer... front row seats to what was by far the most spectacular midair Brian or I have ever seen.

There were other good hard crashes too... my 450 heli bent both shafts, and Jason's swift hit good enough to break lots of foam. We watched the eclipse as we packed up to leave. It made for some cool shadow effects and rare hues of light, and there was some dark energy around us today too. There were some photographers out there capturing the moment. Wish I had my Nikon.

Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite