Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 08, 2012, 06:12 PM
United States, CA, Roseville
Joined Feb 2012
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylow2011 View Post
yes, there is water and also looks like a nice runway at the end of Vineyard Rd too. See photo :-)
That water's in a gated community and I doubt they'll be very welcoming...
You could walk in from the field, I guess, do some touch and goes on the pond, then beat feet before you get tossed.
There is some pavement there at the end of Vineyard and some mown grass areas as well. The mown areas are okay for my belly-sliders but seems too rough for wheels. I've spoken to one homeowner and so far they're mildly intrigued, not irritated. I wonder how they'd react if a bunch of fliers showed up at once, looking like an "Occupy The Sky" rally?
Drone Driver is offline Find More Posts by Drone Driver
Last edited by Drone Driver; Mar 08, 2012 at 06:13 PM. Reason: corected that speling
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2012, 06:51 PM
Foam flogger
Roseville, CA
Joined Apr 2009
1,144 Posts
Yeah, I eyed that pond while they were building but haven't tried to get in since they put up the gate and guard box.
Belem is offline Find More Posts by Belem
Old Mar 09, 2012, 03:59 PM
United States, CA, Elk Grove
Joined Dec 2011
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylow2011 View Post
yes, there is water and also looks like a nice runway at the end of Vineyard Rd too. See photo :-)
What about the elbow where Springhill Dr. and Bridgestone Crescent Rd. meet in Roseville. It's off of Walgera Rd and pretty close to Vineyard Rd too. I noticed some ATV tracks/wheelies in the dirt while checking out that spot on google maps. Looks like an even larger area to fly than at the end of Vineyard Rd. Looks like it is perfect for belly landers.
Alpha_Geist is offline Find More Posts by Alpha_Geist
Old Mar 09, 2012, 06:55 PM
I wanna fly like this
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2011
171 Posts
Or maybe that stretch of the old Walerga just to the west. That old roadway runs north/south and would make a dandy runway.
HighLife is offline Find More Posts by HighLife
Old Mar 09, 2012, 07:00 PM
Joined Nov 2011
93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_Geist View Post
What about the elbow where Springhill Dr. and Bridgestone Crescent Rd. meet in Roseville. It's off of Walgera Rd and pretty close to Vineyard Rd too. I noticed some ATV tracks/wheelies in the dirt while checking out that spot on google maps. Looks like an even larger area to fly than at the end of Vineyard Rd. Looks like it is perfect for belly landers.
The area west of Walegra Rd and south of Baseline is marked "no trespassing." There are also a lot of parking restrictions in that area and it appears to be the center of the star thistle universe. By the way, star thistle WILL wrap around a windmilling prop shaft.
DTFB Aerowerks is offline Find More Posts by DTFB Aerowerks
Old Mar 10, 2012, 12:03 AM
Joined Dec 2011
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTFB Aerowerks View Post
The area west of Walegra Rd and south of Baseline is marked "no trespassing." There are also a lot of parking restrictions in that area and it appears to be the center of the star thistle universe. By the way, star thistle WILL wrap around a windmilling prop shaft.
Damn
Old Mar 10, 2012, 12:44 AM
I wanna fly like this
Joined Jan 2011
171 Posts
"it appears to be the center of the star thistle universe. By the way, star thistle WILL wrap around a windmilling prop shaft"

And it WILL cut the hell out of monokote or any other covering.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 06:39 PM
Joined Mar 2006
49 Posts
you guys could try here
http://maps.google.com/?ll=38.758601...52314&t=h&z=15
I have been there a few times with my super cub and corsair. nice wide street that is blocked off for almost 800'. just has houses down the east side and a few lamp posts down the east side. plenty wide though.

Edit. sorry, it is at the top of the map at the end of market. just north of the spot on walerga just mentioned.
twig8 is offline Find More Posts by twig8
Old Mar 10, 2012, 08:48 PM
Joined Dec 2011
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twig8 View Post
you guys could try here
http://maps.google.com/?ll=38.758601...52314&t=h&z=15
I have been there a few times with my super cub and corsair. nice wide street that is blocked off for almost 800'. just has houses down the east side and a few lamp posts down the east side. plenty wide though.

Edit. sorry, it is at the top of the map at the end of market. just north of the spot on walerga just mentioned.
I see it! That looks like a very nice spot to fly. There aren't any NO TRESPASSING signs or curious police/citizens poking about in that area? That street (end of Market St) is super wide. Looks like I have a nice place to take off and land my Jug and T-28.

With such a long dead end, where to park? lol
Last edited by Alpha_Geist; Mar 10, 2012 at 08:48 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 11, 2012, 12:45 AM
I wanna fly like this
Joined Jan 2011
171 Posts
Looks like a possibility. Runs North/South...good. NO MEDIAN....BONUS!!!!!
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:30 PM
Joined Mar 2006
49 Posts
The only problems I have there is there is occasionally a breeze from the west that creates an updraft by the k-rail where i usually park, but not a problem at the far end. That and the random dog walkers in the early am and in the evening. Don't think I have ever seem a no trespassing sign there. (years of doing construction work makes me ignore them anyways)
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:32 PM
Joined Mar 2006
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_Geist View Post
I see it! That looks like a very nice spot to fly. There aren't any NO TRESPASSING signs or curious police/citizens poking about in that area? That street (end of Market St) is super wide. Looks like I have a nice place to take off and land my Jug and T-28.

With such a long dead end, where to park? lol
Nice and wide indeed. My parkzone corsiar only needs the one side of the street to land.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 01:48 PM
Joined Nov 2011
93 Posts
Quote:
The only problems I have there is there is occasionally a breeze from the west that creates an updraft by the k-rail where i usually park, but not a problem at the far end. That and the random dog walkers in the early am and in the evening. Don't think I have ever seem a no trespassing sign there. (years of doing construction work makes me ignore them anyways)
How's about the barbed-wire fence that borders the East and South edges of the street? I ALWAYS land where I plan, but if someone else gacks it, they're goin' over the wire to fetch their plane. I know from sad experience (a Judge lectured me from his bench) that here in CA, if it's not public land and its not your land and you don't have expressed permission to be there, you're trespassing. Most of the time a little harmless trespass isn't a big deal to anybody, but imagine the day when you crash your plane, get cut on the barbed-wire AND get cited for trespassing. Oh, and then it starts to rain...
Guess I'd beter go take another Prozac.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:06 PM
Joined Mar 2006
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTFB Aerowerks View Post
How's about the barbed-wire fence that borders the East and South edges of the street? I ALWAYS land where I plan, but if someone else gacks it, they're goin' over the wire to fetch their plane. I know from sad experience (a Judge lectured me from his bench) that here in CA, if it's not public land and its not your land and you don't have expressed permission to be there, you're trespassing. Most of the time a little harmless trespass isn't a big deal to anybody, but imagine the day when you crash your plane, get cut on the barbed-wire AND get cited for trespassing. Oh, and then it starts to rain...
Guess I'd beter go take another Prozac.
I cant say either way about going over the fence to fetch a plane, but I know for a fact i have seen people walking their dogs out the dirt road that heads west from there. So I don't imagine there would be to much trouble.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:52 PM
Joined Nov 2011
93 Posts
Quote:
I cant say either way about going over the fence to fetch a plane, but I know for a fact i have seen people walking their dogs out the dirt road that heads west from there. So I don't imagine there would be to much trouble.
Good, because that's a nice looking piece of asphalt!