HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2011, 03:24 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined May 2009
718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gent96 View Post
Flying tommorrow, 30 July 2011 at 8AM in Grant. Boyet and I are sure; Jay, Dan and Doc: tentative. All others, where are you, guys?! LOL. C U Der!
How was flying today? Just got back in town.

Is anyone flying at Grant Line around tommorow? Just wondering, going to meet Rob out there but we may just go to Granite Park if no one else is planning on flying at Grant Line.
ender707 is offline Find More Posts by ender707
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2011, 11:24 AM
KJ6RCJ
United States, CA, Elk Grove
Joined May 2010
406 Posts
Hi Ender! Boyet and Doc flew their helis on saturday morning. Jay went in late but still managed to fly his foamy F16 EDF (the pilot ejected early in the flight, lol). I flew my Skywalker.

On sunday morning, Jay and I tested the FPV system that I installed on the SW. Jay was with the goggles and I was flying it Line Of Sight but I lost control of the SW like the controls just stuck. It inadvertedly crashed, nose- dived full throttle about 200 meters away in the field, lol. Must be the interferences of the mix of 900mhz FPV system, the Ardupilot Mega with GPS and the 2.4G Spektrum system. All equipment are good to go, the Skywalker just thrashed its nose and motor mount, repairable with hot water and glue. Gotta have a go again this sunday. I will reroute all the wires and range-test it.

Let's fly this sunday morning! The heat of summer is dwindling down so I believe it'll be comfortable.

Jay, let's test the system again this coming sunday. Cross fingers there'll be no more crashes, lol!
gent96 is offline Find More Posts by gent96
Old Aug 01, 2011, 04:55 PM
New Beeeeee
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Apr 2011
1,072 Posts
Ok in elk grove. Bouncing ground is what I call it. Cuz that what happens when I crash.
Whitelock  parkway &. Franklin high Rd.  
The soccer field 
RUBNorris is offline Find More Posts by RUBNorris
Old Aug 01, 2011, 05:36 PM
KJ6RCJ
Joined May 2010
406 Posts
While biking last week, I saw a guy flying his electric heli at on the open field behind the Stonelake apartments. Nice area to fly there. Isn't Bartholomew Sports complex busy on sundays? I guess there are kids who play soccer on sundays, if I'm right.
Old Aug 01, 2011, 10:26 PM
New Beeeeee
Joined Apr 2011
1,072 Posts
here the picture of the park
Last edited by RUBNorris; Aug 01, 2011 at 10:27 PM. Reason: upload fail
Old Aug 04, 2011, 06:53 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined May 2009
718 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gent96 View Post
Hi Ender! Boyet and Doc flew their helis on saturday morning. Jay went in late but still managed to fly his foamy F16 EDF (the pilot ejected early in the flight, lol). I flew my Skywalker.

On sunday morning, Jay and I tested the FPV system that I installed on the SW. Jay was with the goggles and I was flying it Line Of Sight but I lost control of the SW like the controls just stuck. It inadvertedly crashed, nose- dived full throttle about 200 meters away in the field, lol. Must be the interferences of the mix of 900mhz FPV system, the Ardupilot Mega with GPS and the 2.4G Spektrum system. All equipment are good to go, the Skywalker just thrashed its nose and motor mount, repairable with hot water and glue. Gotta have a go again this sunday. I will reroute all the wires and range-test it.

Let's fly this sunday morning! The heat of summer is dwindling down so I believe it'll be comfortable.

Jay, let's test the system again this coming sunday. Cross fingers there'll be no more crashes, lol!
Awesome, cant wait to see the FPV setup. Sunday around 10 or 11 am is when I plan to fly, but what time are you guys going to go? I know you guys go much earlier than that some days.

Here are some pics mu wife took of Shorukens heli and my Stryker at Granite Park last week.
Old Aug 06, 2011, 03:00 PM
Joined Aug 2011
594 Posts
FPV Pilots in Sacramento?

I'm ready to make the leap into FPV and do some park flying. My goal is to build a nicely specced EZ Flyer style pusher with OSD, p/t camera etc. I have no RC flying or building experience but plenty of PC Flight Sim time back in the day and I'm very good with interfacing video and computers.

I've got a decent budget set aside and realistic expectations (I think). I'm interested in hooking up with FPV pilots in the Sacramento area to start the learning process. Are there any regular meets in the area where I can admire your fabulous rigs and learn from your experiences? I'm based in Folsom. Also, any stores that specialize in FPV planes?
Markran is offline Find More Posts by Markran
Last edited by Markran; Aug 06, 2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old Aug 06, 2011, 09:15 PM
KJ6RCJ
Joined May 2010
406 Posts
Flying tommorrow at 10ish. I'm still a noob into FPV so my setup will be at best, clumsy and amateurish, lol. Jay had the opportunity of peering into the goggles before my plane crashed, lol. Hopefully tommorrow, there'll be no crashes.

Markran, I don't know of any FPV meets here in Sacramento area. As far as FPV specialty stores are concerned, there are many online such as Hobby Wireless, Readymade RC and Range Video. Check them out as they also offer FPV planes.
Old Aug 08, 2011, 02:24 AM
Joined Aug 2011
594 Posts
Gent,

Sorry, I already had plans or I would have driven over and joined you guys. I hope the flights were, um, uneventful...

I spent some more time tonight researching and learning. Boy there is a huge amount to know and I"m still feeling a little upside down and underwater in the FPV knowledge pool. I think I'm going to order a SkySurfer (Bixler) RTF (brushless) tomorrow to start getting my feet wet flying something (non-FPV) by next weekend. The Sky Walker looked neat but it seems to be out of stock everywhere and it's only available as a kit. I'm not sure I know enough to be ordering kits direct from China.

Once I get a feel for looping the SkyS around the local soccer field, maybe I'll feel more confident in graduating to cameras, VTx, VRx, antennas, headsets, etc. This hobby is really challenging. If FPV wasn't so damn cool, I'm sure no one would ever climb this learning 'cliff' (it can't seriously be called a learning 'curve' when it's this steep).
Markran is offline Find More Posts by Markran
Old Aug 13, 2011, 11:00 AM
New Beeeeee
Joined Apr 2011
1,072 Posts
I'm gonna fly tomorrow Sunday by the unfinished mall if anyone feels like flying. Im gonna try my 58" slow fly fpv extra 300 slim(trainer) out there about 7or8am gonna sneak out while my house is sleeping still.

Ruben
Old Aug 13, 2011, 02:30 PM
New Beeeeee
Joined Apr 2011
1,072 Posts
Hi guys,
been flying around the block in a large open lots so i can repair fast. Found this nice soccer park (shot with the beast)

here are some pictures of my 36" PDF 300
E-flight 480
11x8 prop
40A plush
HK mg 12g x hextronic mg 12g

58" PDF 300 turned into a glider-ISH (soon to be a FPV)
E-flight power 25
12x6
HK 50-60A W/add on BEC
12g mg carrona x4
Large CF rods on belly and wing
made smaller ALerons 2"X14" for slow turns
Elivator is cut down to
cost about $35 to made Body

Moded Beast New brick mod W/ Ap05 motor 180Mah Hypos (mine is a lil' heavy)
Old Aug 14, 2011, 01:02 PM
Sacramento, Ca
Joined Feb 2003
338 Posts
Where's all the grass!!?? Looks like they harvested no place to belly land now
Shoruk3n is offline Find More Posts by Shoruk3n
Old Aug 14, 2011, 01:41 PM
New Beeeeee
Joined Apr 2011
1,072 Posts
I had to find some patches. I got a good belly flop on the dirt, need some hot glue.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 04:50 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined May 2009
718 Posts
Shoruken and I went out to Grant Line around 11am, it did not look too good for belly landing so we went over to granite park.

It would be cool to get a couple more guys out there one weekend, the grass is really nice for belly landers, but no runway for gear planes...

Got some close ups of the F-22 today:
Old Aug 14, 2011, 05:54 PM
New Beeeeee
Joined Apr 2011
1,072 Posts
Oh nice! I'd shoot for Sunday? I'm done to fly.