HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2010, 07:30 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined May 2009
718 Posts
Jay,

Good news, I got the HK-450 back together. I ordered the inexpensive metal head/tail combo from Hobbypartz.com, put it on, and the blades tracked right out of the box! Its nicer than the HK part, and comes with pre-set links for the head which was surprising.

The Bad news (Mostly for me ) is that I will be out of the loop for the next few weeks on a "Work Trip" to Wisconsin

See you guys on the tail end of August
ender707 is offline Find More Posts by ender707
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2010, 09:25 PM
United States, CA, Elk Grove
Joined Jun 2010
132 Posts
Looking good there Eric,

Those blades and the rotor head looks really nice on it

Have a good trip bro.. we shall see you when you come back than
Jayshergill is offline Find More Posts by Jayshergill
Old Jul 31, 2010, 11:13 PM
KJ6RCJ
Joined May 2010
406 Posts
Eric,

Cool! Now we have helis! I am also awaiting parts for my EXI 450. I had a blade strike when one of the plastic washout links snapped last week I was practicing hovering when for no apparent reason, the chopper and I went face-to-face. I jerked back on the elevator and the rest is history . When this is all ready, Jay's gonna teach me . Good luck on your trip.

Hey Jay! You flying tommorrow, bro? Let's see each other then.

Gent
gent96 is offline Find More Posts by gent96
Old Aug 01, 2010, 02:45 AM
Joined Jun 2010
132 Posts
Hey Gent, I'll try to be there if my dad don't take the car.. let me know what time are you coming out. Let's fly buddy...
Last edited by Jayshergill; Aug 01, 2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old Aug 01, 2010, 04:29 PM
KJ6RCJ
Joined May 2010
406 Posts
Jay, I was at the flying area this morning (1000H-1100H). I called you twice, guess you still have your cracked fone . Anyways, I was alone in there save for some mating birds . I put a gyro on my scratch built plane just for the heck of it. Well, I put the gyro on its side on the roll axis; however, its face was towards the nose of the plane so I think I got it reversed. Gyro simply reinforced the roll of the right aileron (gyro was connected to the 'rons thru a y-connector). I guess, I wil be reinstalling it with the face backwards (think of its orientation when placed on the block of a 450- class heli). Guys, any inputs on this?

Windy this morning so I wasn't able to maximize. Next time, it'll be fun.

Later,

Gent
Old Aug 01, 2010, 05:49 PM
Joined Jun 2010
132 Posts
Hey Gent,

Sorry man I couldn't come out I had no car I had all of my batts charged up to fly it this morning with you.

I've seen gyro on the ducted fan jets for the roll axis. I think on yours you should be able to reverse it by a switch instead of the physically changing the orientation of the gyro.
Also you may have to play the sensitivity/gain on it depending on how much of an input you want on it.

Fun stuff I'll hook up with you next time.

Jay
Old Aug 04, 2010, 06:26 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2009
47 Posts
Hello all

Hey Guys

New To this RCgroup but not new to flying!!! I'm the Jeff that ENDER707 Mention in the earlier Post with the SuperCub!!! I'm looking forward to meeting most of you that live in the Sacramento Area!!!! Jeff
RCGIJOE09 is offline Find More Posts by RCGIJOE09
Old Aug 05, 2010, 01:35 AM
Sacramento, CA
Joined May 2009
718 Posts
I got a little bit of flying in while camping the past couple days prior to the work trip. Here is some HK-450 FPV, the area was a little tight, so I couldnt move around to quick, but that happens when you fly in the woods!

HK 450 MT with FPV Keychain Spy Cam (7 min 45 sec)
Old Aug 05, 2010, 01:56 AM
KJ6RCJ
Joined May 2010
406 Posts
Eric,

Nice vid with your HK450, bro. What'a your throttle curve on this? I've tested my clone in the garage awhile ago and when I hover, the bird starts to shake. Research says maybe a low headspeed is to blame. I am new to CCPM birds so my motor is just an Align 430L (?) with 3150kv. What do you think?

Jay,

Any inputs on the issue of my clone shaking? The tail is solid but the bird is shaking, like nodding up and down, LOL. BTW, I put another gyro (pitch axis) on the scratch built, aside from the other gyro on the roll axis. Unfortunately, the roll axis gyro over corrected, sending the plane down, LOL. I was hoping that the plane will be super stable for FPV. Gotta repair the nose.

Jeff,

Welcome to the group. We fly on sundays, mostly around 10AM- 12PM. Hoping to meet with you.

Later,

Gent
Old Aug 05, 2010, 02:42 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined May 2009
718 Posts
Low headspeed does cause stability issues like a "slow" wobble or bobbing effect. My motor is a 3700kv with an 11t pinion. The 3150kv motor should be able to spin it fast enough with maybe*** a 12t or 13t, but the 450 threads would be a good place to look in to that, I am by no means an expert on helis!!!

My throttle curve is 0-75-75-75 (75% throttle gives me my minimum headspeed for good stability). The pitch curve is very mild, but I do not know the values, I adjust it after making changes to the head to give me tame up and down movement, and smooth hovering with the throttle stick between 1/2 and 3/4. (I am not doing 3D, so this works for me quite well as a sport flying/hovering setup)
Old Aug 05, 2010, 07:48 PM
Joined Jun 2010
132 Posts
welcome to the group Jeff...

Nice video Eric heli looks good nice and stable.

Gent you definitely need good head speed but the problem could be simple as blades are too tight. They might be out of track and not balanced also check for main shaft and spindle make sure they are not bent.

Remove the blades and spin the head by itself and check if its true when spinning.
Old Aug 06, 2010, 01:10 AM
KJ6RCJ
Joined May 2010
406 Posts
Jay & Eric,

I bumped up the headspeed so the heli is now solid, no more shakes. Thanks for the info. I need to brush up on the programming of the Pitch and Throttle curves. This is so foreign, LOL.

Gent
Old Aug 06, 2010, 03:06 PM
Joined Jun 2010
132 Posts
Good know your heli is good to go Gent. So when are you going to bring it by and fly it. Ready to do some tick tocks... lol...
Old Aug 06, 2010, 08:36 PM
KJ6RCJ
Joined May 2010
406 Posts
We can fly on sunday, Jay. I can do tic- tocs and piro flips now- on the sim, LOL! My knees are shaking bad everytime the clone lifts off to about 28" of air . I've got three crashes under my belt already. Bent spindle, broken blades, bent flybar, bent tail boom. Helis do have many parts, so when they crash, I replace many parts, too. Good for you, Jay. You fly your Raptor great. Much more for Boyet crazy 3D, LOL.
Old Aug 07, 2010, 11:52 PM
KJ6RCJ
Joined May 2010
406 Posts
I'll be at Grant tommorrow, between 10AM-12PM.