HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 08, 2009, 08:07 PM
Spain / Argentina
Joined Mar 2007
186 Posts
Discussion
Green Laser to Activate dogfight sensors.

I put to my Easystar a Green Laser 50mW.
The objetive is to test the Laser in flight to use it at Dog Fight Combat in a future.

Exist in the toys store http://www.lasershots.com/systemt/tpack.gif laser sensors tha we can use to detect the shots. Those sensors habe a beepers conected to know when the laser do fire.

This is my first test.
SETUP:
The laser is conected to the engine battery by a "anyvolt" mini DC-DC to get 4.3 Volts.
The consume is 300mA. To turn on/off use a RC rele connected to a free channel.
I put a beeper to listen the when the laser is ON

Flight test: The laser is amazingly visible with the FPV camera in the night.
The laser is more visible if the laser is parallel with the observer. ( see pic)
The laser is not very visible perpendicular to the observer. ( see pic)
Experience:
Is very Easy do marksmanship at night flights To do markiship at the day,, is nessesary ajust the laser previusly.
The Easystar seems a UFO with the light and the laser shooting anywhere

I leave some pictures here. I lost the video record becouse I dindt close my DVD disc when I landed

Sergio!

Note: The direct shot to the eyes can hurt irreversibly, so avoid fire over populated areas.

Note2: See your local laser regulations. I dont live in USA

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited 10 August 2009

As far as I know, I am the first to try this device in flight. So, as any beginning, is necessary spend time and $ to get the results that you find.

I only want share the information and the experience that I obtained with this test with you:

1) If you are thinking in amazing laser lights show, forget it. The laser is only visible if you are in parallel position with the beam, otherwise you do not see anything.

2) The beam divergence dissipates the energy, so when you flight over 100 mts altitude, you get a beam diameter big ( 30 - 40 cm in my test ). The energy was less than a laser discoteque.

3) The green laser is very visible from the onboard camera.

The next steps is test the lasers sensors and to know which is the lowest power to activate them at a distance of at least 50 meters.

OT: I want to clarify something wrong was said in this thread:
All the Laser has an Infrared beam. All. If you see in youtube, etc green laser burning things, that is becouse of the infrared component is inst filtered.
So, is false that the infrared laser are harmless. The infrared component is the most dangerous becouse it can burn. So, the good quality lasers pointer must have a good infrared filter.

The green laser born from a powerfull infrared laser that passes through a glass and this glass becomes the 20 % of the infrared beam in a green laser. The rest of the infrared laser must be filtered. Some low quality laser pointers hasnt a good filter so, those lasers can burn things.
The infrared beam that isnt filtered dissipates with more angle than visible green beam. So, in few meters the infrared energy hasn the energy to burn.
Of course,, the final energy depends of the power of the laser but this is the basic concept.

So, aboid high energy Infrared lasers becouse they can burn and you cant see it to detect it.

In USA are permitted only laser with -5mW.

Well,, I wanted share my test and my information and I think that we will find the most safe and useful laser to activate the laser sensors ito do a safe dogfight modality.

That was only a test done in a secure and controlled conditions.

Best Regards.
Sergio

Note: I will edit the firts post whith this information.
sergio00 is offline Find More Posts by sergio00
Last edited by sergio00; Aug 10, 2009 at 05:34 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2009, 08:35 PM
Senior Gravity Checker
Tampa, Florida
Joined Mar 2001
1,051 Posts
I'm not trying to be the safety police but at night your iris is most open. This green laser is not really in a controlled position. 'nuff said.

I cannot see any benefit over a high output LED. If you really want to go crazy you could rig a xenon strobe or a discharge lamp with a step up power supply.

-Ken
kist2001 is offline Find More Posts by kist2001
Old Aug 08, 2009, 08:45 PM
Spain / Argentina
Joined Mar 2007
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kist2001
I'm not trying to be the safety police but at night your iris is most open. This green laser is not really in a controlled position. 'nuff said.

I cannot see any benefit over a high output LED. If you really want to go crazy you could rig a xenon strobe or a discharge lamp with a step up power supply.

-Ken
If you and your mate are using FPV googles at the same time,, your eyes are safe. Like I put in my post,, avoid shot over populates areas,,, In the middle of the country and the pilots using the google,, all is OK.
Like all RC activities, is nescesary responsibility of course and I am agree.

Sergio
Last edited by sergio00; Aug 08, 2009 at 08:59 PM.
Old Aug 08, 2009, 10:07 PM
No guts no glory
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2007
1,677 Posts
green lasers are the freakin devil... they blind the hell out of you from miles away, unless you are in the middle of the woods and there are no cars around id never turn one onboard a RC plane
pratorian is offline Find More Posts by pratorian
Old Aug 08, 2009, 10:26 PM
Spain / Argentina
Joined Mar 2007
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pratorian
green lasers are the freakin devil... they blind the hell out of you from miles away, unless you are in the middle of the woods and there are no cars around id never turn one onboard a RC plane
http://es.justin.tv/pratorian are over populates areas,,, That should never be done.
I only fly over desert areas or country areas. Never over HOuses or roads like your videos
Old Aug 08, 2009, 10:29 PM
No guts no glory
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2007
1,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergio00

no joke sergio give it a try 50mw is a lot of power heh green lasers are becoming a real concern for airlines, kids (and retards) aim them at airliners on final trying to blind the pilots
Old Aug 08, 2009, 10:35 PM
Spain / Argentina
Joined Mar 2007
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pratorian
no joke sergio give it a try 50mw is a lot of power heh green lasers are becoming a real concern for airlines, kids (and retards) aim them at airliners on final trying to blind the pilots
before give lessons, your first dont must fly over populated areas,, thas is really dangerous.
http://es.justin.tv/pratorian

I am responsible and only flight over desert or countrys. Alwais over federative field. Nobody in Kms. Nor people,, nor cows.

So,, there i can use my green laser responsibly. Nore people,, nor cows,, nor dogs,,.
I will continue my tests there to find the most effective and secure FPV dogfight systems

Best regards
Last edited by sergio00; Aug 08, 2009 at 10:46 PM.
Old Aug 08, 2009, 11:28 PM
No guts no glory
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2007
1,677 Posts
go for it you can fire rockets and drop bombs from your easystar and fly it 30 miles away if you are in a safe place and think its safe sergio, I guess you didnt get what I was trying to say.

a 50mw green laser will blind someone in an instant so having it onboard a rc plane can be really hazardous if you are near any road or airport or w/e if you live in the middle of nowhere go for it

I'm not giving lessons to anyone, and IMO flying with a green laser onboard poses a bigger hazard than my easystar flying above my town lol
Old Aug 08, 2009, 11:30 PM
Torrance
Joined Feb 2005
1,409 Posts
I think your starting to tread in dangerous waters, by mounting that High output laser on a FPV/UAV.

We're already under investigation by who knows how many parranoid groups ready to lobby Washington for complete clamp down on this hobby, don't * * it up for the rest of us.

I'm all for in flight air to air combat, but lasers should not be involved. if you want you can use Infared laser diodes, they are picked up easily by our cameras, or try building BB gun or airsoft guns for combat purpose.

Just use you brain on this, you have to realize America is full of parranoid people just looking for someone to attack, so they can feel better about National security, we don't need this right now.
JustinONE is offline Find More Posts by JustinONE
Old Aug 08, 2009, 11:54 PM
No guts no glory
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2007
1,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinONE
I think your starting to tread in dangerous waters, by mounting that High output laser on a FPV/UAV.

We're already under investigation by who knows how many parranoid groups ready to lobby Washington for complete clamp down on this hobby, don't * * it up for the rest of us.

I'm all for in flight air to air combat, but lasers should not be involved. if you want you can use Infared laser diodes, they are picked up easily by our cameras, or try building BB gun or airsoft guns for combat purpose.

Just use you brain on this, you have to realize America is full of parranoid people just looking for someone to attack, so they can feel better about National security, we don't need this right now.

Sergio is not in America so IMO he can do whatever he wants Let's not get into paranoia once again... Washington watching us blah blah lol I just wanted to warn people about green lasers because they are really cool but really bad at blinding people for a few minutes something you dont want happening to you when you are driving a car or flying a plane, I have a 50mw and 100mw green laser nice for pointing at the stars but I wouldnt fit one of them on my easystar
Old Aug 09, 2009, 12:25 AM
Near Saint Louis MO. (IL Side)
Joined Aug 2009
534 Posts
I have a mental image of sergio flying with a friend "dog fighting" in a remote area... I dont think with the video goggles and the remoteness of what he is doing, he has a chance to harm anyone with a 50mW laser... although potentially dangerous, I would rate it's risk factor somewhere near... oh lets say, flying a remote control plane in first person view... I mean come on, if a LiPo goes bad in one of these, its basically a guided missle.. so I say, lets see some shots of this in action sergio! I think it'll look cool...

P.S. On a plane, this thing wouldn't be focused enough on a single position to do any real damage ever... even to a human eye... but yes, I know, it has the POTENTIAL to blind someone if even flashed for 1/1000th of a second... then again, 1amp is more than enough to kill someone too... but they use many more in the electric chair, cause chances are, 1 amp is gonna make you say, "Ow, stop pricking me..."
jsullivan05 is offline Find More Posts by jsullivan05
Old Aug 09, 2009, 12:38 AM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,981 Posts
I don't agree with that kind of test. I agree with Pratorian on that.

Also, did you think of poor birds that will come in peace to meet the new kid in town when they will saw your plane, aif you made them blind, you will start a war between them and us...
VRflyer is offline Find More Posts by VRflyer
Old Aug 09, 2009, 12:40 AM
No guts no glory
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2007
1,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsullivan05
P.S. On a plane, this thing wouldn't be focused enough on a single position to do any real damage ever... even to a human eye...

the concern is not damage to the human eye, its blinding someone driving his car or something like that and causing an accident.

several pilots have been blinded by idiots using green lasers on airliners from several miles away on the ground when the planes are on final, the problem is not the potential damage to the pilots' eyes its the potential damage caused by a plane with 2 blind pilots at the wheel lol
Old Aug 09, 2009, 12:41 AM
No guts no glory
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2007
1,677 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRflyer

Also, did you think of poor birds that will come in peace to meet the new kid in town when they will saw your plane, aif you made them blind, you will start a war between them and us...

lol yea we definitely dont want to be at war with the birds
Old Aug 09, 2009, 12:55 AM
Near Saint Louis MO. (IL Side)
Joined Aug 2009
534 Posts
Again, it's on a model RC Airplane, I don't think that it's anymore dangerous to Driver/Pilots than the act of FPV Piloting itself, think about it, how long could you hold a green light on one spot if you TRIED to in an RC plane?... let alone if you are looping and twirling about trying to dogfight... again, the most dangerous part of this is the fact that he is dogfighting and most likely not paying attention to his surroundings (the drawback to FPV), I see a dented cardoor or something along those lines when him and his buddy are zipping around overhead trying to out maneuver eachother...

Also, I hardly think the 10-20$ green laser he is mounting on there has the ability to hold its focal point past 50 meters... unless he is buying a $1000 laser...
^^^ Means it wont blind anyone, just annoy them in the SLIM chance it shines in someones eyes
jsullivan05 is offline Find More Posts by jsullivan05