Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 08, 2009, 08:31 AM
Registered User Wannabe
Southwest Mississippi, USA
Joined Jan 2008
1,529 Posts
Discussion
remote glow adapter recommendations

Well, I finally get my BH P-40C totally completed - or so I think. I've flown it about 5 or 6 times but never with decent retracts - I've been waiting for my lado retracts for months and finally got them in and installed.

Anyway, I go out to fly the plane and cant start the engine (saito 100). I finally figure out that my glow plug must not be getting heat. I am able to get the the remote to make connection at the plug and get it started - but I'm only able to do this once. I have remove the cowl and try to clean the plug etc but cant get a consistent connection. I can start the engine fine with the remote and cowl off but I don't want to fly it without the cowl.

The remote I have is a sullivan brand and looks just like this one except that the wires are yellow and black. Mine lasted about 6 flights and maybe 10 to 25 starts. I would like something better. Recommendations?

I was looking at this one .
rodneygt is online now Find More Posts by rodneygt
Last edited by rodneygt; Aug 08, 2009 at 08:37 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 08, 2009, 07:10 PM
I'd rather be flying...
Chicagoland
Joined Nov 2007
324 Posts
I have a dubro one similar to that and I haven't had any problems with it.
in2glow1229 is offline Find More Posts by in2glow1229
Old Aug 08, 2009, 07:59 PM
That's gonna' leave a mark!!
Imperial, Sask.
Joined Apr 2007
201 Posts
I am using a couple of these Hanger 9 Extensions, they work great, probably available from Horizon Hobby down in the good old U.S.A.

Cheers
Curt

http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...rod_id=HAN3025
chuebner is offline Find More Posts by chuebner
Last edited by chuebner; Aug 08, 2009 at 08:15 PM.
Old Aug 08, 2009, 08:00 PM
Registered User Wannabe
Joined Jan 2008
1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by in2glow1229
I have a dubro one similar to that and I haven't had any problems with it.
Similar to the sullivan one that I'm having problems with or the dubro on that I'm thinking about getting?
Old Aug 08, 2009, 08:46 PM
AMA # L576
United States, OR, North Bend
Joined Sep 2006
2,225 Posts
I have the Dubro one and I have had nothing but problems with it. I ended up just drilling another hole in the cowl to hook my regular glow driver up normally.
vhoward1122 is offline Find More Posts by vhoward1122
Old Aug 08, 2009, 08:56 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
all of the remote glow adapters I have tried have had issues with the connector at the glow plug.

The most successful one I used was just twisting some solid copper wire onto the post of the glow plug and sliding small silicone fuel tubing over the portion ot the wire that wnated to contact the engine.

the rest of the various adapter kits have worked fine... as long as the glow plug connector stayed connected without shorting.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Aug 08, 2009, 09:05 PM
Registered User Wannabe
Joined Jan 2008
1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhoward1122
I have the Dubro one and I have had nothing but problems with it. I ended up just drilling another hole in the cowl to hook my regular glow driver up normally.
I have an inverted saito 100. I have a cooling hole cut sort of below the plug but my standard reach glow driver won't reach it with the cowl on. I'll measure but I'm not sure if a long one will either. Even if it would reach, it would be sort of a pain to get on/off but buying a long reach glow stick may be the best thing to do - if it will reach.
Old Aug 08, 2009, 09:06 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Hello,

I have installed the Century CN2222 on my Skybolt.
It works fine with a rubber dust cap on the glowplug and the simulated glow
connection installed on the side of the fuselage 9 inches behind the prop.

I cannot see how that could eventually fail. It is only an electrical connection.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 08, 2009, 09:07 PM
Registered User Wannabe
Joined Jan 2008
1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhhuber506771
all of the remote glow adapters I have tried have had issues with the connector at the glow plug.

The most successful one I used was just twisting some solid copper wire onto the post of the glow plug and sliding small silicone fuel tubing over the portion ot the wire that wnated to contact the engine.

the rest of the various adapter kits have worked fine... as long as the glow plug connector stayed connected without shorting.
Good idea. I may try that.
Old Aug 09, 2009, 12:27 AM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
works better for some plugs than others...
You need 2 "barbs" on the center post so you can twist the wire tight between them.

Some plugs only have a ball shape tip and the center post goes smoothly into the plug from there. With those its hard to keep from shorting to ground with the twisted wire.

I really like Hanger 9's mini mono jack connection from ignitor to airplane.
too bad thier glow plug boot tends to have the wire come loose. Its very easy to connect and the boot stays on well.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Aug 09, 2009, 06:57 AM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
I run the Sullivan one on helis and haven't had any problems. The contact is pretty positive with that design. As long as the spring is working.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Aug 09, 2009, 07:07 AM
Registered User Wannabe
Joined Jan 2008
1,529 Posts
Quote:
works better for some plugs than others...
You need 2 "barbs" on the center post so you can twist the wire tight between them.

Some plugs only have a ball shape tip and the center post goes smoothly into the plug from there. With those its hard to keep from shorting to ground with the twisted wire. . .
I run the o.s. F plug in my saitos.
Old Aug 09, 2009, 10:39 AM
I'd rather be flying...
Chicagoland
Joined Nov 2007
324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneygt
Similar to the sullivan one that I'm having problems with or the dubro on that I'm thinking about getting?
The dubro your thinking about getting
in2glow1229 is offline Find More Posts by in2glow1229
Old Aug 09, 2009, 02:54 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,182 Posts
I had problems also with both the DuBro and Sullivan remote-glow devices. What seemed to be the best way to deal with it was too...

#1. Shorten the wires as much as possible.. no extra whatsoever...

#2. Use a FULLY charged igniter, as a partially charged, or weak ingniter only adds to a problem(it doesn't take much power when hooked direct, but if a weak igniter is used it just won't push through the wiring ..

I think the wiring gets hot before the energy reaches the plug..and the plug is the last thing that gets hot.... thats where I think most of the energy goes... I remember how hot the wires used to get when starting the .049's using those clips.. and we used the big 1.5v huge batteries... but if the clip was left on it.. the wires got hot..
The thing is.. that little single cell barely has enough power to glow the element in the plug when hooked direct..which is all you need to start an engine.. but put some wires between it and the plug... hmm.. I'm just sayin'

If you hook glow-plug clip(remember those things with wires?) direct to a power-panel(12v source stepped to 1.5-2.0v), with an a volt/amp adjustment... turn that up... you will start your engine. That was my experience.... but I could be wrong is this case.. but thats my 2cents.
I hope you get it worked out.. this is just food for thought...

PS... That is one fine P-40!!! Very very nice.
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant
Old Aug 09, 2009, 04:24 PM
London, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2006
1,491 Posts
Quote:

Just came to mind, i wonder if using a wheel collar around the end of the plug would hold the wire on better than fuel tubing?
Wayne V is offline Find More Posts by Wayne V