Old Aug 07, 2009, 03:39 PM
Mike Brinker
SouthEast Michigan
Joined May 2008
537 Posts
Build Log
Mike's - Rittinger P-51 Build-Along

Completed Project - Mike's P-51B made from Mark Rittinger Plans

If you have ever considered building your own plane but weren't sure how to go about doing it, this is the thread for you. I completed building a P-51 Mustang from Mark Rittinger plans. This is my first scratch built "solo" project. I know, "another P-51"....... BUT, this one is going to be a "BUILD-ALONG". That means I plan on setting this project up so others can build along at their own pace. I am doing this because I know that there are many visitors (Lurkers) to the forums who would love to build their own plane but don't think they have the skill set necessary. I was/am one of those guys until I got a lot of help learning how to build my first scratch build warbird ..... a P-47 thunderbolt.... see the thread here if you like:

This build will include a lot of pictures and instructions. It will be a 42" wingspan Mustang that will use a brushless motor and fly on 2200 mAH & up batteries. It will be a 3 channel plane but you can add rudder if you like.... No landing gear on my bird, but you can add your own if you like. I will be posting some of the details for your build including how to get the plans, canopy, foam core wings, a lumber list, all of the electronics needed and any other special supplies like music wire, hinges, covering etc... So, by the time Thanksgiving rolls around, you will be able to put some of these items on your Christmas list.

Mike's P-51B Searching for Targets of Opportunity

One important note.... even though we will be using a "foam core" wing, don't let this scare you off! I have arranged to have the cores cut and sanded so all you would have to do is sheet the wings..... it doesn't get any easier. No Hotwire, Fiberglas, or any complicated building techniques.... According to others who have built this plane, it is a easy & quick build. I have personally flown Mark's plane made from these plans and it flys great! The next post after this one will hold the index for the build. Each of the steps will be linked from the front page (second post). If anyone has built and flown a P-51 built from Mark Rittingers plans, post your pics and let other see what she looks like. Mark's plane is like 8 years old and still flying great.

Mike
tr6world is offline Find More Posts by tr6world
Last edited by tr6world; Oct 27, 2013 at 07:40 AM. Reason: updating project
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2009, 04:00 PM
Fly it like U stole it
Champaign, Il
Joined Mar 2008
2,386 Posts
Awesome timing! I am starting my build also when the weather turns. Its not the P-51 but Marks P-40. The airframe will be different but I plan on watching and learning as you progress anyway. Now I will just sit back and watch

Matt
Pickle72 is offline Find More Posts by Pickle72
Old Aug 07, 2009, 04:16 PM
Southgate, MI
Joined Feb 2008
30 Posts
I've been thinking about building my own airplane but I just don't have the skill set to do so. This would be a great way for me to learn some building and modeling techniques.
It said you're 22 miles from me so I assume you're in the Detroit or Toledo area. I'm from Southgate just south of Detroit so maybe we could get together and fly once the birds are completed!
Look forward to your future posts
Ken
kenthedragon is offline Find More Posts by kenthedragon
Old Aug 07, 2009, 04:34 PM
ARFs make me BARF
United States, MI, Roseville
Joined Dec 2000
8,516 Posts
Mike, the unidentified P51 was my prototype, initially built at 50". Turned out to be a bit much for the Magnetic Mayhem setup at that time, so I went to 42" and had great results....
Mark
mrittinger is offline Find More Posts by mrittinger
Old Aug 08, 2009, 12:59 PM
Mike Brinker
SouthEast Michigan
Joined May 2008
537 Posts
Hi Ken,
yep, should be a real good experience for you. When we finish the build we will definitely go flying...... I saw your video you made..... nice job. Where is that parking lot you were flying at? It looked big but I didn't see a store? I fly over in Roseville, MI.

Mike
Old Aug 08, 2009, 01:12 PM
Mike Brinker
SouthEast Michigan
Joined May 2008
537 Posts
Plans for the build

OK, if you are interested in building the plane you are going to need plans. It would be a good idea to get them first and look them over to get an idea of how this is all going to work. Don't worry, we will do this in baby steps.

Plans can be purchased for $23 through Mark Rittinger. Send a Private Message to mrittinger and ask Mark for a set of plans. He will reply with instructions for the purchase.

Information on where to get the foam wing cores will be posted soon.

Mike
Old Aug 10, 2009, 07:52 AM
Lawton/Fort Sill, OK
Joined Sep 2002
1,952 Posts
OK I am here we can build now.
Coop is offline Find More Posts by Coop
Old Aug 10, 2009, 08:29 AM
ARFs make me BARF
Joined Dec 2000
8,516 Posts
Still hear the "King Of Battle" down there at Sill? I was on the 8" guns...

I might join in on this build as well. I like this one, Race 45. No scoop, moved to the wing like Corsair.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 08:39 AM
Lawton/Fort Sill, OK
Joined Sep 2002
1,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrittinger
Still hear the "King Of Battle" down there at Sill? I was on the 8" guns...

I might join in on this build as well. I like this one, Race 45. No scoop, moved to the wing like Corsair.
Always mrrittinger. It starts at o-darkthirty and finishes at o-darkthirty.
Coop is offline Find More Posts by Coop
Old Aug 10, 2009, 09:14 AM
Southgate, MI
Joined Feb 2008
30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tr6world
Hi Ken,
yep, should be a real good experience for you. When we finish the build we will definitely go flying...... I saw your video you made..... nice job. Where is that parking lot you were flying at? It looked big but I didn't see a store? I fly over in Roseville, MI.

Mike
Thanks Mike, it was the first video I edited and put music too and was surprised it turned out decent.
The parking lot is huge with almost no obstructions, about 8 light poles or so.
It is an overflow parking lot for the MJR movie theater in Southgate that never sees any cars, maybe a handful on Christmas day.
kenthedragon is offline Find More Posts by kenthedragon
Old Aug 10, 2009, 05:57 PM
ARFs make me BARF
Joined Dec 2000
8,516 Posts
This might be cool too, Piper Enforcer...
Old Aug 10, 2009, 06:26 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
United States, KY, Sturgis
Joined Jul 2007
2,469 Posts
The Enforcer is definitely a neat looking plane and would make a good subject.

Tony
tpfing is offline Find More Posts by tpfing
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2009, 07:53 PM
ARFs make me BARF
Joined Dec 2000
8,516 Posts
Plus, the tail surfaces were enlarged, and the tail lengthened by 19"....great proportions for a sport scale model.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 10:12 PM
Mike Brinker
SouthEast Michigan
Joined May 2008
537 Posts
Lumber List

Alright, The following is a pretty comprehensive list of the lumber & misc. parts you will need to complete this bird. There are a few things like push rods that are not included on the list because each builder may want to use different type mateials.... ie.. balsa pushrods vs. plastic...... "z" bent wire connectors to the servo arms or plastic clevis connectors..... etc..

The Lumber:

4 - 1/16 X 4 X 48 balsa for the wing sheeting
1 - 1/8 X 4 X 48 balsa for the stabilizer, elevator & formers.
2 - 1/8 X 1/2 X 36 for the leading edge
1 - 1/2 X 3/4 X 8 balsa block for wingtips
1 - 1/2" nylon mesh tape to reinforce the two wing half's
1- 1/16 X 4 X 36 used to sheet the hatch, aileron facings, hath floor, hand hold
2 - 3/32 X 6 X 36 balsa for the fuselage sides
1 - 3/32 X 3 X 36 doublers for the fuselage
2 - 1/4 X 36 for stringers & vertical doublers
1 - 1 X 3 X 36 balsa blocks used for the intake scoop and part of the nose
1 - 1/2 X 36 triangle stock used for the bottom side/corners of the fuselage
1 - 1/8 X 6 X 12 aircraft grade plywood (very important you use "aircraft grade" plywood)

Misc. Other hardware:

3 or 4 servo horns used for rudder (if you decide you want a usable rudder)
1/8" music wire
3/32 X 36 for tork rods used for ailerons (if you decide to use conceal your aileron servos & push rods.
1/8" tubing for the tork rods.
9" WWII canopy by SIG
2 1/2" spinner
Velcro
Heat sensitive covering
various glues including CA, wood glue(alphatic), 5 minute epoxy and contact cement(Dave Brown Southern's Sorghum) to sheet the wings.

This list is not a "Complete" list, but it covers just about everything. There will be other little details like what to use to hinge your control surfaces......

The foam core wings are being cut and shipped today or tomorrow. I should have them by weekend and will provide the info about the foam core wings.

More to follow.........
Mike
Last edited by tr6world; Aug 11, 2009 at 08:58 AM.