HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Martin Y, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 07, 2009, 02:43 PM
The Fixer
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Jan 2009
3,780 Posts
Discussion
Me

Started doing heli's 1986. Without any help. First one is a Shuttle, old sucker but still going. Stopped flying in 93. New one is a Blade 400 3D. This got me back into the hobby in 08 as something to do in the winter in a warehouse I work at. Got first plane this year (09) in March. Started flying it in May, never flown planes before. Now outfitted with osd and fpv gear. Test everything on ground to over 5 1/2 kilometers. Should be more fun in the air going to distance, When I get the nerve to go that far.
I should also say here is a FPV(sort of) setup from 1991 (
First test video part 1 from 1991 (7 min 29 sec)
) this is a part video of it. Using a home made transmitter. It could fit in a matchbox. Used 471 MHZ UHF ch 15. Not being used here at the time so I figured good freq. Camera was cut off a JVC VHS camcorder. Used tape drive to record on. Made heli weigh in at 8 pounds but it flew. Did pretty good, had to stop it's development. Had other things to take care of, being 30 there were skirts to chase and something called work. Seeing this FPV stuff on line made me get back in. Here is part II, yea I know it looks like c...p, you know. I thought I'd put it up anyway.

Here is my Vimeo Spot to see all my video's. http://vimeo.com/user1681096

Part 2 from 1991 (9 min 25 sec)

Plane - Multiplex Twinstar II.
Going to build another one later. My own design is coming.
Radio - DX6i (the one that came with the Blade 400) No control problems.
Radio has been modded with RP-SMA pigtail so I can use any wifi
antenna. I use either a 3dbi duck or 9dbi patch. going to make
another one a little differant.
I do have a Hawking HSB2 500mw wifi power amp.
This improves range a lot. Not telling don't ask(maybe a bit dodgy to use)
Rx - AR6200 system.
Going to see if I can change the antenna's for something better.
Motors - Eflight 370's
Batteries - All 3S lipo's 2200, 3850 or a 7000(need to cut a bit to fit, weight's in at 440 grams)
CC Thunderbird ESC's either dual 18A's or single 36A Both ways work
Camera's - KX191, GoPro HD
OSD - RV version 3 now
Antenna Tracking & Telemetry - waiting for RV to release it.
Video TX - 900mhz 500mw with home made and tuned 1/2 wave antenna
Runs cooler then ones that come with system
Video RX's - One using 3 dbi duck, home made 1/2 wave or 11dbi yagi. 2nd not in use yet . I have idea for my own tracking system.
Display - Either a 5" or 26" LCD. Have goggles haven't tried yet.
Recorder - Sony VRD-MC6 DVD recorder.

Dec 21/10 Picked up a few new planes over the last couple of weeks/months. Now I have another Twin* and a Globalhawk. Plus a scratch built. I have an idea for something really wild if I can get the wings right.

Sept 12 Got back from the Sainte-Julie meeting and Biquad performed better then I thought. Very Good reception from behind. Works as good as my 9db Yagi (From Behind). It is now in another pair of hands for reviewing/testing.

Aug 10/10 Here is a couple of pictures of a 910mhz Bi-Quad I made. Will do a how-to later on. So far it works not to bad.

June 7 - Didn't like the way the cameras looked on the plane. So I moved things around a little plus it made it easier to balance. Not pretty but it works.....for now. And I dont see the nose in the GoPro.

May 26/10 - Just did a little conversion to the TSII. It now carries the KX-191 and the HD hero.

April 16/10All my New stuff has arrived. - Thomas's LRS system and the IR sensors for the autopilot
Martin Y is online now Find More Posts by Martin Y
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Martin Y; May 30, 2011 at 08:11 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2014, 09:20 AM
Team Basement RC
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jul 2004
430 Posts
Jezz Martin! You had HAIR!!!!!!!!
max1 is offline Find More Posts by max1
Old Mar 17, 2014, 01:51 PM
The Fixer
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Jan 2009