HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 26, 2011, 11:31 PM
Joined May 2009
12 Posts
Hi Alan, do you know if connecting an xgyro head tracker to aurora9 is possible? I heard a rumor the channels 1 to 4 rectriction was eliminated on the last aurora firmware upgrade... but havent confirmed. If yes, could you gi ve me some guidelines on how to solder the 9 pin adaptor to stereo plug to work with it?
superfer93 is offline Find More Posts by superfer93
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2011, 12:18 AM
Joined Aug 2002
5,809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfer93 View Post
Hi Alan, do you know if connecting an xgyro head tracker to aurora9 is possible? I heard a rumor the channels 1 to 4 rectriction was eliminated on the last aurora firmware upgrade... but havent confirmed. If yes, could you gi ve me some guidelines on how to solder the 9 pin adaptor to stereo plug to work with it?
V1.08 had no change to buddy system, as per post #01 this thread:
Aurora 9 - Trainer - Selective all 9Ch Pass-Through & RSSI Information On wish list[/url], if and When implementation is confirmed will be promptly advised.

Alan T.
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 07:51 AM
Fast and low...
Joined Apr 2009
837 Posts
Is there any specific part number for the 3.2mm TRS plug from Digikey, Mouser, Farnell/Newark, etc?
aa78 is offline Find More Posts by aa78
Old Apr 27, 2011, 04:13 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa78 View Post
Is there any specific part number for the 3.2mm TRS plug from Digikey, Mouser, Farnell/Newark, etc?
The Aurora trainer plugs/sockets (also used on other electronic products ex Korea) are not available from local electronics distributors, and cost to import a few plugs ex Korea electronics distributors would be little different to buying the Hitec cable.
The named businesses are not represented this country, their inventories not held.

Alan T.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 10:27 AM
Joined Jan 2004
172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
The Aurora trainer plugs/sockets (also used on other electronic products ex Korea) are not available from local electronics distributors, and cost to import a few plugs ex Korea electronics distributors would be little different to buying the Hitec cable.
The named businesses are not represented this country, their inventories not held.

Alan T.
I wonder why Hitec would have approved such a plug being that it's not readily available world wide?
mtnlvr is offline Find More Posts by mtnlvr
Old Apr 28, 2011, 02:23 PM
Fast and low...
Joined Apr 2009
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlvr View Post
I wonder why Hitec would have approved such a plug being that it's not readily available world wide?
Its a questionable decision. The A9, being Hitec's flagship radio, has some glaring feature omissions found even in the previously equivalent 8FG. The new 8FG Super does leave the A9 behind in a few features; channel count and superior trainer system implementation being just a few of them. Ofcourse, the 8FG Super does not yet have support for telemetry so there is a plus point... till telemetry is implemented for it.

Anyway, if one desires to do so, it shouldn't be too difficult to replace the socket in the A9 itself to take a 3.5mm stereo plug.
aa78 is offline Find More Posts by aa78
Last edited by aa78; Apr 28, 2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old Apr 28, 2011, 04:26 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,809 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnlvr View Post
Manufacturers select the most suitable for design and assembly needs. Unfortunately, for USA residents, USA appears to be the only country that has not caught up with the rest of the world and moved solely to metric in all measurements. Only reason those plugs are not sold loose here is it is not cost efficient.

Alan T.
PS: The mini square plugs used on Futaba TX for same trainer/slave purpose are available loose here but not in USA.
(if two required, it is just as cheap to buy the ready made Futaba cable").
Old Apr 28, 2011, 05:41 PM
Joined Jan 2004
172 Posts
So how is it so difficult of a thing when pretty much all mp3 players use 1/8" jacks and home theater Rx's use 1/4" jacks?
mtnlvr is offline Find More Posts by mtnlvr
Old May 05, 2011, 11:21 AM
sbc
Singapore
Joined Jul 2005
62 Posts
Actually 1/8in is 3.175mm. So could it be that the 3.2mm stereo plug AT is talking about is actually 1/8in plug?

The 1/8in is also commonly referred to as 3.5mm stereo

There are only 3 sizes of stereo plugs - 1/4in, 3.5mm and 2.5mm

I compared the original Hitec 3.2mm to a 3.5mm stereo plug, they are of the same diameter.

All these are making me confused...
sbc is offline Find More Posts by sbc
Old Oct 06, 2011, 08:40 PM
good listener
Haltom City TX
Joined May 2008
88 Posts
AT, first thank you for all the help you give to our community. I have two A9s and want to transfer models from one to the other. Does the cable set #58321 provide me with the correct stereo cable to do this? Thanks, again.

Bill
bgw45 is offline Find More Posts by bgw45
Old Oct 06, 2011, 10:23 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,809 Posts
Aurora 9 Data Transfer AP<>A9 or PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgw45 View Post
AT, first thank you for all the help you give to our community. I have two A9s and want to transfer models from one to the other. Does the cable set #58321 provide me with the correct stereo cable to do this? Thanks, again. Bill
Yes, use the same Cable as used for trainer function,
#58320 (or in the full trainer cord package #58321) to transfer between A9.
. Use the cable supplied with the HPP-22 for transfer of data to from a PC.
as in post #1:
9. Transfer Model File A9<>A9<>PC .
. Insert cable, switch TX On. Do NOT touch the "Transmit - "Yes" or "No" buttons on Initial Screen,
simply wait for a few moments more and the "[MULTI - I/O]" Icon will appear below the "Hitec" logo
on right lower corner of screen. Select [Data Tran], prompts appear on screen as demonstrated:
. Hitec Aurora Data Transfer - Video .
. Manual page 24, copy attached, also refers.

. Problem? - Ensure none of the following have been used in the Model Name: \ / : * ? " < > |
This as Windows does not recognise those characters for file names and file will not transfer to your PC.

Data Transfer to/from PC:

HPP-22 - How To Install & Use Instruction.
When program is running and Transmitter< Aurora is selected in menu, click on icon "HPP-22 Mode"
bottom left of screen and follow the on screen prompts.

Alan T.
(PS: Your kind words are appreciated.)
Last edited by A.T.; Oct 06, 2011 at 10:33 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 06:35 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,809 Posts
Further to Transmitter Battery Pack Requirements for the three types of Hitec Trainer Cords
- the earlier now locked thread, post 3, quoted below, related to the then only cable available, #58310 with 6 Pin DIN plugs either end.
Designed pre computerised transmitters, this did supply sufficient power for the earlier Tx, but only partially powered up relative computerised Hitec transmitters which require a battery in slave, as below, but which remain turned off.
[posts #5 re channel assignments & #7 re slave units may also assist]

The new Combo package #58320, with stereo cable in middle, can only transfer PPM in, PPM out & Ground (earth) - no power.
Pictures of the current three trainer cables are attached for reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T.. View Post
Hi Steve, perhaps in USA issue TX. If the battery is disconnected/removed from computer TX issued in Australasia and Europe, results vary.
Charger "I have 2 hitec Tx's with the same crystal......." Which Hitec TX are they, some results below.

Eclipse to Eclipse - Battery must be connected in slave otherwise no screen and slave commands cannot then be matched to master nor RF when master trainer switch pulled on.

However, slave must not be turned on as it powers up when buddy cord is connected and master turned on.
Eclipse to Optic 6 - Optic 6 light turns on but no screen and slave cannot then be set up to match the master. Battery must be left in Optic but do not turn slave on as slave powers up when Master switched on.
Eclipse & Optic 6 to Prism 7, Flash 4 or 5, battery must remain in slave so as to access screen and output but again do not turn slave on.
Eclipse, Optic 6 & Prism to Laser 4 & 6 or Focus 4 & 6. Laser or Focus battery may be removed - Focus battery indicator and other functions operate normally when Master TX turned on. Laser visual and audio indicators and other functions power up and operate normally when Master TX is turned on.
Flash 4 or 5 to Flash will not buddy without battery in slave and in some combinations, the slave TX must also be turned on - always remove xtal from slave in these instances.
Optic 6 to Optic 6 - Blue indicator will light up on slave without battery but no display and no output. Battery must remain connected in slave but leave slave switched off.
Prism to Prism - as above, battery must remain in slave but slave not turned on. Prism as master with Eclipse, Optic & Flash, battery required in slave but leave slave switched off.
Eclipse, Optic, Prism & Flash 5 to non computer TX - no battery required in slave but the old Focus and similar TX can not be set up to match parameters and trims many now program into their Optic and Eclipse systems such as Flapperons and/or Aileron Differential. IMO, best value slave is now an Optic 6.
Hitec - Futaba computer TX - battery must be left in slave Futaba TX but slave must not be turned on.
See also Mike Mayberry's post of 13Nov2002 to be read in conjunction with Important Information Regarding Trainer cord compatibility . [.pdf copy attached]

When setting up a trainer system, suggest instructor first fly and trim aircraft with the Master TX. Then ensure the student radio is adjusted so the trims and servo reversing are the same as the Master with all control surfaces remaining in same position when the Trainer Switch on Master is pulled on. i.e. trim (flight) will remain constant.
If Master trim is changed in flight, student should be advised to adjust same trim so plane holds course when control transferred.

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Alan T.
Last edited by A.T.; Apr 30, 2013 at 09:40 PM. Reason: attach .additional jpg
Old Apr 18, 2012, 01:00 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
3,980 Posts
I am a little puzzled with the wiring for a home-made simulator cable. I think the dongle for these flight simulators assume the input coming in on both the tip and (maybe) the ring also. The sleeve should always be the ground/shield.

In this case, I don't need to cross the tip and ring wires, do I? In fact, I think just using a mono plug at the dongle end would work just as well, wouldn't it? Only the PPM out signal from the tip of the A9 jack needs to be connected to both the tip and the ring on the dongle plug. Am I correct, or am I missing something?

Please remember I am NOT making a student/master cable, just a cable to plug into one of those simulator dongles.

chewy
chewytm is online now Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Apr 18, 2012, 06:01 AM
Joined Aug 2002
5,809 Posts
Hitec 7.2v Transmitter Simulator function Set-up

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewytm View Post
I am a little puzzled with the wiring for a home-made simulator cable. I think the dongle for these flight simulators assume the input coming in on both the tip and (maybe) the ring also. The sleeve should always be the ground/shield. In this case, I don't need to cross the tip and ring wires, do I? In fact, I think just using a mono plug at the dongle end would work just as well, wouldn't it? Only the PPM out signal from the tip of the A9 jack needs to be connected to both the tip and the ring on the dongle plug. Am I correct, or am I missing something?Please remember I am NOT making a student/master cable, just a cable to plug into one of those simulator dongles. chewy
In which case, please refer to:
Aurora 9 - Simulator function Set-up includes Eclipse 7 Pro, Optic 6 Sport etc.
and the schematics in attached instruction sheet, relative extract copied here.

ex Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, AFHSS Spectra Modules, Optima Transceivers, Minima Receivers
& Telemetry
- FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Last edited by A.T.; Apr 19, 2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:19 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
3,980 Posts
Do you mean 3.2mm diam. instead of 2.3mm diam as shown in your drawing?

So I only need to connect up the tip, right? Will there be any problem if I use s stereo plug and connect the tip to both the ring and tip of the simulator side?

Thanks for the info

chewy
chewytm is online now Find More Posts by chewytm