Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 08, 2010, 04:55 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Sep 2010
49 Posts
Alan,

I just acquired a new Optic 6, on 2.4ghz, to buddy with my Aurora.. It's mode 1 and my Aurora 9 is mode 2... using the Optic 6 as Master I set everything up so the Exp/DR/EPA/ThrottleCut was the same or close enough, basically no movement of servo's when switching between Master/Student.. not a peep.

Occasionally when flipping the switch to give Student control, one or more of the servo's will swipe quickly to one end point then back to center... I can't imagine this being a good thing to happen whilst flying!, ie: full up elevator combined with throttle fully closed or rudder to one side..

I purchased the "Full trainer cord package", I'm using as follows:

Optic 6 -> Master DIN -> stereo cable -> Aurora 9

Optic 6 is set to PPM mode.

Both are Spectra 2.4ghz, I DID leave the A9's module installed.. could this be interfering somehow? I wouldn't think so.. I'll take the module out and try to replicate as I'll be taking it out for flying so I don't take up 2 of the 20 2.4ghz transmitter keys at our club.

EDIT: I've now read the part that states A9 doesn't xmit in Pupil mode.. so that's not it.

Any ideas?
inertia8 is offline Find More Posts by inertia8
Last edited by inertia8; Oct 08, 2010 at 05:12 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2010, 05:49 AM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inertia8 View Post
Alan,
I just acquired a new Optic 6, on 2.4ghz, to buddy with my Aurora.. It's mode 1 and my Aurora 9 is mode 2... using the Optic 6 as Master I set everything up so the Exp/DR/EPA/ThrottleCut was the same or close enough, basically no movement of servo's when switching between Master/Student.. not a peep. Occasionally when flipping the switch to give Student control, one or more of the servo's will swipe quickly to one end point then back to center... I can't imagine this being a good thing to happen whilst flying!, ie: full up elevator combined with throttle fully closed or rudder to one side..
I purchased the "Full trainer cord package", I'm using as follows:
Optic 6 -> Master DIN -> stereo cable -> Aurora 9 Optic 6 is set to PPM mode. Both are Spectra 2.4ghz, I DID leave the A9's module installed.. could this be interfering somehow? I wouldn't think so.. I'll take the module out and try to replicate as I'll be taking it out for flying so I don't take up 2 of the 20 2.4ghz transmitter keys at our club.
EDIT: I've now read the part that states A9 doesn't xmit in Pupil mode.. so that's not it. Any ideas?
Have not had similar experience to date, first thoughts:
1. Failsafe settings? can be set via both the Spectra Pro Module and Aurora
This because the Optima will go in/out of failsafe very quickly as transfer is made. (Nothing like the lag experienced with JR PCM systems)
Aurora A9 - Firmware Update V1.07(1) & HPP-22 V1.04 - 01Oct10. (inc PDF update enhancements, inc set failsafe via HPP-22 & how uninstall V1.03 before new install.)
2. Ensure Trainer Lever is released quickly. Have seen some older tutors hook lever with finger, and switch restrained by the finger pressure, rocks on/off as finger is moved backwards to slowly .
3. No Digital servos and Analoque on same "Y" lead or paired.
4. If any extension leads, try swapping them out.
5. Batteries fully charged.
6. " Optic 6 is set to PPM mode." > check shift is "N" same menu.

Hitec Optic 6 & Optic Sport - Manuals, Tutorial & Comparison Charts may assist with the Optic 6

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Last edited by A.T.; Oct 08, 2010 at 05:58 AM.
Old Oct 08, 2010, 07:22 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Sep 2010
49 Posts
Alan,

Thanks for the quick response.

1) Neither of the Optima's have failsafe settings programmed at this stage, I've never set them up in the A9 either.

2) I am switching the trainer lever consistently from one extreme to the other, I've tried to replicate the problem by moving the lever very slowly and it does not consistently replicate.

3) No Y leads, and I'm using the HS5485HB's that come with the A9 Standard package.

4) Only to aileron and that's not currently plugged into a servo.

5) Yes, both Tx's and the Rx battery (6v eneloop).

6) Shift is N, PPM set.

I tried to video the problem and caught it on my phone a few times, though I'll need to edit it as I rambled on and there's about 7mins of useless twiddling the trainer lever and twirling the sticks on each to try and provoke a response.

I even switched out the Optima 7 that came with my Optic 6(no antenna bushing, no firmware update, mfg 09.11) with a new one updated to v2.0...

I still got several glitches with the new and updated Optima, though I believe I could go a whole flight without the problem presenting itself as the problem didn't seem to appear as often..

To clarify the effect of the problem, often there is servo movement anywhere from 1/8th to 100% of travel in one direction then back to center..

I also tried to shield the antenna behind the engine and tried x'mitting from far and near, the glitch was still present when tested from about 6-7ft away.

I'll see if I can fly tomorrow and just make the instructor aware that we might see some interesting transitions of control!
Last edited by inertia8; Oct 08, 2010 at 07:29 AM.
Old Oct 08, 2010, 09:12 AM
Hitec service
San Diego
Joined Nov 2004
687 Posts
On a hunch, please try a different type rx battery other than the eneloop.
NiCad, NiMh, A123
Eneloops work good for transmitters where the load on the battery is not much but seem to fall on their face when used as rx batteries where there is more power demand and load put on them.
BRENDAN LUGO is offline Find More Posts by BRENDAN LUGO
Old Oct 08, 2010, 09:43 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Sep 2010
49 Posts
I will do that tomorrow.

I just spent an hour mucking around, I took out the Spectra module and re-seated it, binded to the A9 and then used A9 as master and Optic 6 as pupil...

I couldn't get the problem to occur with A9 as master.

I switched back to the Optic as master, removed all subtrims and couldn't get the problem to occur, then started mucking around with the normal trims to stop the minor transitions of the servo's between the A9 default 0 trim settings and those of the Optic, however the problem returned and even after setting all trims back to 0.

So I've seen random "spikes"/"glitches" occurring when using Optic 6 as master and A9 as slave, will try and do an extended test of A9 as master tomorrow... I really did want the Optic as master, so I could learn on A9, don't want to go through the hassle of converting the A9 to mode 1 and Optic to mode 2.

I'll also update the module in the Optic to the latest firmware and see if that has any bearing on the problem. I'll also start a fresh model on each Tx with no settings programmed in except servo reverse and EPA on throttle to stop binding...

Could a different Expo setting in each Tx cause something like this to happen? I also noted that if I switch from Optic 6 to A9 then back, then switch the Optic's D/R on, the elevator and rudder surfaces adjust slightly.. even though they're meant to be zero'd... might be chasing circles there.
Old Oct 08, 2010, 08:19 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Sep 2010
49 Posts
Observations from testing it today:

Updated Spectra Module - Problem appears less frequently but still present.
Updated old Optima 7 to 2.0 - No Change.
Rx Battery changed to charged Hitec Nimh pack - No Change, as per Updated Spectra.
Changed model on Optic 6 and reset settings - No Change, as per Updated Spectra.
Changed model on Aurora 9, left defaults - No Change, as per Updated Spectra.
Changed to Optima 9 Rx (2.0) - No Change, as per Updated Spectra.

Used Aurora 9 as Master - Cannot get the glitching to occur... seems error free...

Since re-binding the Optic 6 to Optima 7 the problem has not shown itself in 5mins of testing... will try again before heading to field in 30mins.

The only things left are:
Swap Spectra modules from A9 to Optic 6... I don't think this will solve it..

Plug in 4 analogue servo's and see if they spasm/glitch as per the digital 5485s..

Try and send my Optic 6 back to the shop that I bought it from, swap over for an Optic 6 Sport...
Old Oct 09, 2010, 01:13 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Sep 2010
49 Posts
The instructor wasn't confident enough to use the Optic as master so we just had the plane flying high using the Aurora 9 and handed the tx over whenever things weren't going to plan. The A9 performed flawlessly, brilliant being able to see the voltages on screen .

Unless anyone has more idea's to try.

I'm going to see if I can return the Optic 6 for an Optic 6 Sport, perhaps that will be a better master tx, being newer I would hope it can be the master Tx without glitching. I'll need to convert it to Mode 2 as the instructor is Mode 2 and available regularly, so no real need to cater for a Mode 1 instructor... it'd be nice if the club had their own buddy Tx's...

Anyway failing that, I'll keep confirming that A9 as master tx never glitches when handing over to this Optic 6, then convert the Optic 6 to Mode 2 and use it as a student tx for myself and the instructor can use my A9, not ideal but needs must.
Old Oct 10, 2010, 06:04 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Sep 2010
49 Posts
Decided to try a few more things. I had some hs65mg's so I decided to see if analog servos glitched... unfortunately they do..

Cannot seem to find an easy way to replicate. However The Aurora as master has still not glitched once..

Hoping to try buddy with another Hitec this weekend coming to see if the problem is my Aurora 9 as Student or the Optic 6 as Master..
Last edited by inertia8; Oct 10, 2010 at 09:22 AM.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 02:27 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Sep 2010
49 Posts
Still not solved, tried seeing if it was the module's pin contact with the Optic 6 as this has been reported as an issue, cannot budge the module and it had no effect on glitching the servo's.. might be a FM thing..

I've ended up converting the radio to Mode 2, which still glitches the servo's every now and then when switching between Master/Student.

I am now admitting defeat and have setup the Optic 6 as a Student only Tx with my Aurora9 as Master... I could have done this with a 2nd hand FM Optic or eclipse or even one of those little Futaba buddy box tx's... In my opinion, there's no way the distributor will warranty either Tx for this fault as they won't test it enough to see the problem.. it'd be a waste of my time sending it in.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 09:18 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Sep 2010
49 Posts
The retailer I purchased my Optic from has had a chat to the distributor and apparently there is some form of known issue with the buddy leads between Aurora9...

Anyway, they are going to see if they can put me in direct contact with the distributor and I'll be happy to demonstrate the glitch to them.

Weather permitting I'll be buddy boxing using the Optic as student tomorrow..
Old Oct 16, 2010, 04:02 AM
Australia, VIC, Wonga Park
Joined Jul 2010
9 Posts
G'day Inertia8. I setup my Optic 6 as Master with an Aurora 9 as student today and found exactly the same problem as you. About 1 in 10 times when I switch between student & master 1 or 2 of the servos twitch or go full travel. It seems to happen most when switching back to master control. I really noticed it when the throttle went to full on the bench! Luckily in each case where I had this problem it only lasted for about 1/2 a second and then went back to normal.

I'll be using the master with my friend as the student, and it's my plane (AXN Foamy), so I'm willing to run the gauntlet, but I'll be keen to hear what you find out from the distributor. I'm in Melbourne too and if you want me to join you in a "class action" I'll be happy to!
ldriess is offline Find More Posts by ldriess
Last edited by ldriess; Oct 16, 2010 at 04:05 AM. Reason: Added more detail to explain problem
Old Oct 17, 2010, 03:14 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Sep 2010
49 Posts
Ldriess, thanks for letting me know, I hope to hear from the shop this week and thus start dialogue with the distributor.

I'd like Alan or some others to try flipping from master to student 30-40 times with an Optic 6 as master to see if any glitching is present, perhaps some people are getting away with it and don't know that it could flip out on them without warning??

FYI, the Optic 6 as student was flawless today, I got 4 good flights in, before the instructor had to leave.. no glitches at all.

If I were you I'd consider using the A9 as master, though if you're both different Mode's that is a bit of stuffing around.. I'm having to change the A9 to Mode 1 for next weekend as my Mode 2 instructor (only 1 regularly at the club) is going away for a couple of weeks...

If you have to use Optic as master then I'd recommend only teaching your friend at a decent altitude to be able to correct a full elevator/aileron/rudder deflection.
Old Oct 19, 2010, 02:56 PM
Australia, VIC, Wonga Park
Joined Jul 2010
9 Posts
Both of us are on mode 2, so that makes it easier, but we want to use our own TX's. We're going with your suggestion of keeping a decent altitude. I'm basically training my friend to be my spotter as I learn to fly FPV. Once he's learned to fly the plane well enough I'll make him the master so he can save me if I get out of control on FPV.
ldriess is offline Find More Posts by ldriess
Old Jan 25, 2011, 02:11 AM
Graham Dyer
Johannesburg, South Africa
Joined Jul 2003
698 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
Refer to attached Instructions and those at
Hitec Trainer (Buddy) System Update - New "Stereo Plug" system and how to use.
link broken

should be http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=711661&highlight=optic+sport+buddy
pardus is offline Find More Posts by pardus
Old Jan 25, 2011, 03:10 AM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pardus View Post
link broken

should be http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=711661&highlight=optic+sport+buddy
Tks, corrected.
the link was working last time checked but had since dropped one character - some forum happenings I do not understand..

Alan T.
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.