HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 05, 2009, 04:42 AM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Discussion
Aurora Transmitter Mode & Stick Tension Change.

NB: Do Not Open TX, second picture is for reference only and allay concerns regarding the insertion of a screw driver into TX
=================================================
All screws are JIS - Japanese Industrial Standard as used on all Hitec TX, Servos etc (and by Kyosho, Tamiya kitsets and other major model components ex Asia). Do not use a Philips Screwdriver which may round out the holes...
FWIW if small JIS screwdrivers not available at LHS, (Tamiya package some good tool sets) a flat blade jeweller's screwdriver works much better than screwing the heads out of servo screws with a Philips Screwdriver.
Update 24Mar2010:
. Adjustors marked A, B, E & F, in pictures below, now 1.5mm Cap Screws in lieu of JIS.
. Do not turn any screw right out. Unscrew a little at a time and stop when unscrewing has no further effect on adjustment.
=================================================
Change Mode 2 to Mode 1
Change Mode 1 to Mode 2 ...............= reverse steps 3, 4, 5 & 6 below
1. Remove battery by lifting rear of plug slightly, to release tongue, and slide out.
(not essential but personally recommend disconnecting power source whenever poking metal instruments into any electronic apparatus)
2. Open out rear grips and peel up the two rubber dust covers over the throttle stick tension adjustment screws.
3. Screw down both screws "C" (Adjust ratchet tension as below.)
4. Unscrew both screws "D" (Adjust ratchet as below.)
5. Screw down Rocker Arm hold down screw."A" (embossed on rear cover as "M1/3")
6. Unscrew rocker hold down screw "F" (embossed on rear cover as "M2/4") (until stick spring action operates freely).
7. Replace battery, observing polarity and locating/locking tongue, then battery cover plate.
8. Change Software Mode
a) Aurora Ver. 1.03 (0) [refer - home screen>settings>Info]
as per manual page 63.
b) Aurora Ver. 1.05 (0) [refer - home screen>settings>Info]
as per manual page 63, then return to home Screen.
Select Settings (wrench) > "MDL Type" > "NONE" > "Single Engine" or "Dual Engine" >SET.
a) Switch off to save, or
b) Continue to select other features e.g. "Retracts", "Airbrake", "Fuel Mixture Control" and return to home screen.
c). Second method V1.05 and above: Select new mode under
[System] menu > [Mode] > select new mode > return to [System] menu > [MDL Sel] > [Reset] > Switch off to save.
Unfortunately, this second method also resets any programing already done or transferred in from another model or other Aurora for that model.

To verify Mode Change correct, Turn Aurora TX on with both sticks centered. "Transmit?" appears > "Yes". "[Conditional Warning]" alarm will sound and cease when the controlling throttle stick is lowered to minimum position.

Channel Function Settings for all sticks and functions for each model can be viewed anytime: Home screen, select Settings > "CHANNEL".

================================================== ===

Stick Tension Adjustment
To adjust the tension of the gimble sticks,
1. Open out / Remove the rear rubber grips by lifting a corner and gently pulling up.
2. Center sticks to align screw heads with appropriate holes in TX case.
3. Use a small Phillips head screwdriver to turn the adjustment screw B or E (embossed on rear cover as "J2 & J3") clockwise to increase the spring tension, and counterclockwise to decrease the tension of the spring.
4. Refit the rubber grip pads when finished.

Stick Ratchet Adjustment
Throttle ratchet tension can be adjusted to suit different flying styles.
Some use stiff positive detents in the throttle stick, whilst others prefer a light or smooth action e.g. Helicopter pilots.

1. Peel up the correct rubber dust cover over the throttle stick tension adjustment screws for your mode. ( "C" or "D" see photo).
2. There are two adjustment screws.
................. under "C".............................
Left screw is for Airplane (mode 1)
Right screw is for Helicopter (mode 2)
.................under "D"..............................
Left screw is for Airplane (mode 2)
Right screw is for Helicopter (mode 1)
3. Use a small Phillips head screwdriver to turn the adjustment screw clockwise to increase the ratchet tension, and counterclockwise to decrease the ratchet tension.
(Both screws are hard down ex factory or on Mode Change as above.)
4. To switch from airplane to heli, or heli to airplane, turn the appropriate screw counterclockwise until the stick movement is smooth, then turn the other screw clockwise to apply ratchet pressure and adjust as necessary."
================================================
If ever absolutely necessary to open case:
1. Remove rear grips.
2. Lift rearward edge of side grips. These have a couple of plugs and a small strip of double sided tape at that rearward edge.
Never necessary, so do not remove entire side grip.
(Front edge of side grip is secured with several oblong rubber plugs which are skirted like champagne corks, difficult to re-insert).
================================================
27 March 2010:
. Transmitter Stick Knob Replacements for those who like extra long length sticks when using a tray.

06 August 2010:
. Aurora's will come with sticks that are 5mm shorter
so the lowest setting is -5mm and the max is similar to stock of the original.
This was done to accommodate the Asian market. (incl jpg of tray)

27Dec11:
. Aurora 9 - How Can I Find Out Date of Manufacture??
pertinent extract:
"Original stick length, measuring exposed metal shaft (ex knobs) to plastic socket = 23mm (15/16"),
thus A9 produced since Sep10 exposed metal shaft will measure 18mm.
Length of thread for knob adjustment is 6mm (7/16)"

30 March 2012:
. The mode for each model is set individually so user, as is known to occur quite frequenctly,
may have all Acro & Glider set as Mode 1 and all Heli set as Mode 2.
The next model being programmed will use the current mode setting of the Aurora 9, same as
when a file is transferred in, user must check and tweak mode setting as necessary. Templates:
Aurora 9 - Template Index: Acro, Glider, Helicopter, Rock Crawler, Tanks, Simulator.

more information avaialable under Hitec USA Support Forum Sticky:
Aurora 9, AFHSS Spectra Modules, Optima Transceivers, Minima Receivers
& Telemetry
- FAQ & Undocumented Features
- Mixes, Setups, Tips. {Individual Links often updated}

Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Last edited by A.T.; Sep 02, 2012 at 05:33 PM. Reason: udate an URL.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2009, 09:40 AM
Guz
Gutless wonder
Tempe, AZ
Joined Dec 2005
3,139 Posts
Just what I suspected, they used the MPX Royal Evo/Pro gimbals. Smart, very smart. Shame they didn't also allow for rotation, oh well.
Guz is offline Find More Posts by Guz
Old Mar 15, 2010, 05:03 PM
Joined Aug 2009
6 Posts
How to put a spring on the throttle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
NB: Do Not Open TX, second picture is for reference only and allay concerns regarding the insertion of a screw driver into TX

Change Mode 2 to Mode 1
Change Mode 1 to Mode 2 ...............= reverse steps 3, 4, 5 & 6 below
If ever absolutely necessary to open case:
1. Remove rear grips.
2. Lift rearward edge of side grips. These have a couple of plugs and a small strip of double sided tape at that rearward edge.
Never necessary, so do not remove entire side grip.
(Front edge of side grip is secured with several oblong rubber plugs which are skirted like champagne corks, difficult to re-insert.
Regards
Alan T.
Links[/url]

Hi, I have read the FAQ above, together with the user manual, and could not find how to put the spring on all my commands (J1 to J4) without opening the TX. I guess that when ratchet tension can be adjusted from the outside, adding a spring requires to open the case and perform some mechanical magic, is this correct? In which case, is there any video available on what to do at this end?

The reason is that, on my motor-glider, I need to have the flaps instead of the throttle, hence I need to add the spring on J2 (for my mode) where the throttle used to be; then I'll simply have the throttle on the LS slider.

Many thanks in advance!
Plaisance
Plaisance is offline Find More Posts by Plaisance
Old Mar 15, 2010, 08:28 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaisance View Post
Hi, I have read the FAQ above, together with the user manual, and could not find how to put the spring on all my commands (J1 to J4) without opening the TX. I guess that when ratchet tension can be adjusted from the outside, adding a spring requires to open the case and perform some mechanical magic, is this correct? In which case, is there any video available on what to do at this end? The reason is that, on my motor-glider, I need to have the flaps instead of the throttle, hence I need to add the spring on J2 (for my mode) where the throttle used to be; then I'll simply have the throttle on the LS slider. Many thanks in advance!
Plaisance
As per text and pictures, there is no need to open TX Case. A spring is already in place on both J2 & J3.
Your TX must be on mode 1 as you wish to add a spring movement to J2.
1. Open plug 'C" , as pictured, on the back of TX. Use a small JIS type, or in absolute need a flat blade jeweller's screwdriver and unscrew Acro or Heli or both ratchets a few turns until spring works freely. Do not attempt to unscrew either screw completely out
The second picture depicting the opened back is for reference only.
2. Open side rubber and adjust spring tension to suit through hole "B".
3. Replace rubber caps.

Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 04:43 AM
Joined Aug 2009
6 Posts
Yes it can!

Thanks Alan for your timely answer. Yes, indeed spring movement can be added to J2 without opening the case. The key information, that I was missing, was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.T. View Post
Your TX must be on mode 1 as you wish to add a spring movement to J2
This translates to having to unscrew on "A" (with reference to your picture) in order to engage the spring on J2.
"B" adjusts the spring tension (with no effect until the spring is engaged with unscrewing on "A"), and the unscrewing on both screw on "C" removes the ratchet tension.

Many thanks
Plaisance
Plaisance is offline Find More Posts by Plaisance
Old Sep 03, 2010, 10:02 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Sep 2010
49 Posts
I'd just like to say I found this most helpful in converting from Mode 1 to Mode 2.

I did misread it and the manual and consequently unscrewed the phillips head screw out on "F" thereby making is loose in the case.. removing the battery cover and battery allowed me to shake the screw out, then I had to magnetise my phillips head with a strong magnet and carefully played doctor to put it back in.. very tedious but I wasn't going to open the case if I could avoid it!

I haven't found the right throttle stick tension (without ratchet) for heli and plane balance but I will with time.

Many thanks for this guide, the manual seemed lacking, though if I re-read it now after using this thread, the manual makes sense..
inertia8 is offline Find More Posts by inertia8