HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 03, 2009, 08:05 PM
USA, VA, Williamsburg
Joined Aug 2007
271 Posts
Discussion
Sig clipped wing cub 1/6 scale or not sig?Can anyone ID the kit?

I was at the club this weekend, and was given the clipped cub with radio gear and no motor. It was a crashed plane. The owner had used it an event we had on saturday and it was shot down. Really, shot down by paintball gun. The event was to raise money for CHKD. A few members built foam planes to use. It was fun.

But now I am trying to put the wing back together with scrap balsa and bass wood I have. My yougest son wants to learn to fly it when finished. He is so excited, because I told him that the plane is his. I will be doing about 80% of the work, but the whole idea is to get him hooked on building and flying. It would help if I had the plans for it, but I think I can jerry-rig the broken/missing pieces. Any advise would be helpfull.

An engine, covering, epoxy,and some jerry-riggin, and she will be back in the air!
ejam is offline Find More Posts by ejam
Last edited by ejam; Aug 07, 2009 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Not sure of kit mfg.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2009, 08:40 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,403 Posts
ejam,

Pictures always help. Post with attention to the damaged areas.

I have that kit in the box, thinking about making it electric.

Let me know if you need any pics from the plans.

This plane is not one that presents the easiest learning curve as a first-time trainer, but it can be done. Just takes a little more patience with a good instructor.

EJWash
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1
Old Aug 04, 2009, 12:24 AM
USA, VA, Williamsburg
Joined Aug 2007
271 Posts
I will take pictures tomorrow to show damage. I have all the covering off of wing. If it is posible, could you scan the ribs. Some of the ribs will need to be replaced. If thats not doable, I can break the bank and buy the plans form sig for about 6 bucks. Its always nice getting freebies

The more I think about it, the more I realize that my yungest probable shouldnt learn with it. It will still be his plane. He is the one that made me crap my pants when the instructor told him nose up and he move the stick up. His older brother was yelling ok bring it down!! The oldest has the Aphal 40.

Hope you do a build log with your cub.
Old Aug 04, 2009, 01:38 AM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,403 Posts
First time I’ve seen a plan that didn’t show rib profiles (but I haven’t seen them all) so I scanned the ribs themselves (W-1, W-2, W-3, W-4, W-5). Each rib has a number printed on it, so you should be able to tell which damaged rib you need to replace.

Just to recheck the sizes, the ribs measure (leading to trailing edge):

W-1: 7-15/16”
W-2: 9-9/16”
W-3: 1-3/4”
W-4: 8-9/16”
W-5: 6-1/4”

This will be a fun flyer for your youngsters, and a great way to get into taildraggers.

I won't be building this one for quite a while. Too many to tackle ahead of it.

EJWash
Old Aug 04, 2009, 02:08 AM
USA, VA, Williamsburg
Joined Aug 2007
271 Posts
Thanks man! This should speed things up!
Old Aug 04, 2009, 02:50 AM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,403 Posts
Here's the instruction/build manual. The kit is number is RC-26:

http://www.sigmfg.com/BuildManuals/

EJWash
Old Aug 04, 2009, 03:38 PM
USA, VA, Williamsburg
Joined Aug 2007
271 Posts
Is it 1/6 sig clipped cub?

Now that I have the instructions, it appears I may have a toatly different kit.
I didnt have a measuring tape, but I put the wing up to my son's alpha 40 wing that is 63", and this wing is longer by about 2 to 3 in.
And the fuse doesnt have the wire braces in the windshield area.

I tried to take pictures, but my batteries were dead, that will be a 3 hour charge. So maybe tnight I will have some pictures posted. The wing is built as two peices and glued together. there are bolt holes in rear and two dowels in front to slide in fuse. I will have to try and get more info from the prev. owner. The only thing he told me was it was a sig kit and he built it in 2002.
Old Aug 04, 2009, 07:59 PM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,403 Posts
The Sig Clipped Wing Cub that I have sports a 56" wingspan. The wing is attached with two bolts at the trailing edge, and the leading edge attachment is comprised from steel wire that also serves as cabin braces (see pic of plans).

Hope you get some pics up.

EJWash
Old Aug 05, 2009, 01:01 AM
USA, VA, Williamsburg
Joined Aug 2007
271 Posts
pictures

Here is the clipped cub, I was told that it is a sig, built in 2002. The wing is not finished with repairs, just pushed back together for pic. Any clues on the mfg. and size? Still havent measured it. But wing is longer than my sons Alpha 40 that has a wingspan of 63"
Old Aug 05, 2009, 02:15 AM
AMA 910957
Joined Mar 2008
5,403 Posts
I re-checked the plans for the Sig clipped-wing kit. The pics do not match up. I also checked the Great Planes and Goldberg kits. None of them match the pics you have. Sorry.

Hopefully someone will recognize your plane and be able to give you the help you need.

EJWash
Old Aug 05, 2009, 02:50 AM
USA, VA, Williamsburg
Joined Aug 2007
271 Posts
EJWash1, thanks for you help. I wonder if it could be an older sig kit? Im glad you posted, I was about to buy the sig wing kit for the 1/6 cub!

Well this has become a quest for me, yes I play wow.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 08:56 AM
WOETC
Sydney
Joined Oct 2006
2 Posts
Probably all a bit late but I'm pretty sure what you have is a World Models Clipped Wing Cub - the wheels are a giveaway. http://www.theworldmodels.com/para/p...?airplaneid=70
woetc is offline Find More Posts by woetc
Old Apr 30, 2010, 09:46 PM
Go Fly Something!
Kentucky
Joined Nov 2006
89 Posts
I'll agree with woetc. The wheels are a giveaway....
BountyHunter51 is offline Find More Posts by BountyHunter51
Old Oct 12, 2010, 06:20 PM
Joined Feb 2010
2,171 Posts
i'd bet big money this was a worldmodels / wingsmaker ARF.

did ya get it flying again?
TexasClouds is offline Find More Posts by TexasClouds
Old Oct 13, 2010, 04:00 AM
USA, VA, Williamsburg
Joined Aug 2007
271 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I have put this rebuild on the way-back burner. Will get around to it some day. I have been busy building kits and teaching my sons to fly. So maybe someday, they will build/rebuild. I have another scratch built model that my son bought last year for 30 bucks. He had about 4 flights on it before he had to deadstick it back in, and hit a pole after getting it to the ground. the crash busted the wing light damage to tail. We are almost finished with that plane, dont know the name of the model, but we call it a fun fly.