HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 03, 2009, 03:52 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,204 Posts
Build Log
FlyBoys Models ME-163

Hi Guys,

Since I'm still waiting for my Lado retracts for my P-40 build and that has ground to a screeching halt, I have started a FlyBoys Models ME-163 to take it's place for now. No gear to order and those it does have will fall off !!!

I'm mid build and wanted to share the pics and info I've found so far. There is a great threat over at RCU but you have to search for ME-162 since the thread is mislabeled.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7134453/tm.htm

As always, I have stolen some great ideas from those that have gone before me and can take no credit for a lot of this. I just rearrange the ideas I like into my plane

I've seen two lines of thought on the CG of this plane. One is to fly it with lots of reflex and at the factory setting. The other is a little less reflex and with the CG 1.5 inches rearward of the factory CG. I'm still deciding but at least we know it has a range that's workable and has been flown both ways. Both flyer's report it's a very stable aircraft.

I will be painting it as the Komet with tail number 191904 was painted in it's mid life configuration. http://www.xs4all.nl/~robdebie/me163/berlin025.htm

Except that I'm using a yellow #25 on the rear fuse instead of the white is sported then. When the plane was capture it was recorded as yellow 25 so that's the color I'm going with since I like it better, it'll be easier to see in the air and well.... It's my plane. In looking at the histories of the 163's you'll see lots of pics of the same airframe with various paint jobs. I kinda drives you crazy figuring out what your looking at. The best info for sorting this out can be found here.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~robdebie/me163.htm

So far, my build is pretty standard as far as builds go. Install the servos, hook up push rods and install motor and radio gear. When I pick up my battery's tomorrow I'll do the tray and Velcro. Then it's just adjusting throws and onto the paint work where the fun begins.

My set up is

Scorpion 4025-12
Castle Creations
Dimension Engineering Sport BEC
APC 13x8E Thin Prop

Either TP or Hyperion Battery's to get 4000 to 5000mah in a 6s configuration.

6s to that motor and prop gives about 10lbs of thrust with a pitch speed of 80mph pulling 1253 watts. I may try a APC 12x10E which Scorpion Calc say gives a 99mph with 9lbs of thrust pulling 1399watts.

The reported weight of the 163 is 6lbs so either option should give good results.

I did drill a hole in the front of the skid fairing where the tow hook goes to allow some cooling air to com into the fuse. I also opened the rear of the fuse where the rocket exhausts as a vent. Yes..... I may add a model rocket motor later or some other form of smoke like stuff to create a cool photo op.

Here's some pics I took this morning to show you where I'm at now plus some of a Komet at the Air Force Museum in Dayton, OH.

Enjoy.

Joe

www.thecaterhamproject.com
Joespeeder is offline Find More Posts by Joespeeder
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 03, 2009, 09:11 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,204 Posts
Hi Guys,

Well I blew it. I ran Scorpion Calc with the wrong motor loaded to get the figures I quoted above

Luckily, I have the correct motor in the plane and my set up is correct. However, I won't get the figures I quoted above. Bummer.....

The correct figures are lower. At this point I've confused myself thoroughly so I'll just say I'm going with a known combo.

Sheesh.....

Joe

Old Aug 05, 2009, 02:16 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,204 Posts
Hi Guys,

I'm just back form the hobby shop and picked up a couple of battery's plus odds and ends.

I have revisited the Scorpion motor/prop combo and am now VERY happy that I have the correct motor and understand the set up better. I was getting very confused(not hard to do for me) as YT was showing an APC 13x8E was producing 10lbs of thrust on the 4025-12 and I just couldn't get Scorpion Calc to get anywhere near confirming those numbers. I wanted to match what he was seeing to play with props and see the results.

YT was kind enough to email me and let me know he's running a APC 13x10E. That makes a lot more sense to me. After playing with Scorpion Calc I couldn't find a better sweet spot considering thrust, pitch speed, motor temps, and amp draw. Cool Once again, I just stand on the shoulders of giants.

I'd never have the success I've had returning to flying without these forums.

I also have been looking at battery's. I have a new Hyperion G3 4200 6s plus my standard TP 3s 4200's that my other planes use. In looking at Scorpion Calc and the results YT is getting with this combo it's safe to say I'll be pulling in the neighborhood of 55amps somewhere. YT reports less than 60amps and SC says 46amps. I'll report my numbers when I get the chance to run it up on the watt meter.

My FW-190 gets 8 minute flights on 6s 4200mah packs and it draws a 55amps. So I'm good for the initial flights to see if I want more battery to extend flight times.

After seeing ticketec's video I've decided to go with his CG. His slow speed flight was the key. Really nice. I'm getting about 42mm of travel on my Elevorons. So the reduced Elevator needed at his CG will work out well.

Me 163 komet flight PRAMS (4 min 8 sec)

Here are the numbers Scorpion Calc says I'll see running a 4025-12 on 6s with a 13x10E APC. The 163 should weigh about 6lbs.

Pitch Speed 81.6mph
Trust 130.6 ozf
Temp 108F
Amps 46.55
Watts 1,033watts

Joe

Last edited by Joespeeder; Aug 05, 2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old Aug 07, 2009, 10:16 AM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,204 Posts
Hi Guys,

I'm zeroing in on my dolly set up. I was in the hobby shop staring at bits for over an hour trying to come up with something. I think I'm getting close.

I worked on the battery tray and the balancing a couple of nights ago. I got it close enough that I could start gluing stuff together and I'll be able to fine tune the CG with minor adjustments.

I have to open up the cut outs in my spinner since my prop doesn't quiet fit. I'm using the an 2.5inch Eflite spinner on my Scorpion motor. Looks great but I had to by a bigger Eflite spinner (3inch I think) to get the proper prop adapter and add a new 3mm allen to make it all work. Plus the stock prop adapter washer is just slightly too large and hits the edge of the prop blades. Luckily the washer has a nice tapered edge on the front. I ran that along my dremel to make the angel a little deeper then used the washer backwards so that side is against the prop. Works very well. As I type this I guess I really wanted that spinner to work !!! Lots of little fiddling.

I finished up the battery tray late last night. It's ready to glue into the fuse. I also worked on the dolly a bit. I used some long 3mm bolts that have a smooth non-threated shaft to attach to the dolly. I threaded a nut all the way to the bottom of the threads and then put the bolt into the dolly and secured it with a lock nut. Then I cut the head off the bolt so that I have smooth shafts that presses into the bottom of the 163.

Funny part is the 3mm threaded bolts slid in and out easier in the stock holes then the smooth shafts do. I will open up the holes or put in a brass sleeve into each hole so that the dolly slide off freely before I do the retention rod.

Here are shots of my battery tray and cockpit mod. The tray is set up for two different battery's' currently but could be reconfigured if needed by removing the screws in the square stock. The cockpit "flooring" was just a laser cut plywood open framework covered by shrink covering of some sort. I didn't really want to glue a pilot to covering with no real support. So I removed the covering from the "floor" and replaced it with 1/6 balsa sheet. I tacked it on with thin CA and when I knew it was flat I went around the framework with thin CA to secure it for good.

I trimmed the balsa and sanded the edge to complete the floor. I have a pilot I cut down but he looks too small to me. I'll have to double check his scale. The cockpit will get painted and some small details.

Enjoy

Joe

Old Aug 07, 2009, 02:09 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,204 Posts
Hey Guys,

I found some pics that show the relative size of a pilot in the cockpit here.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~robdebie/me163/wh14-02.htm

http://www.xs4all.nl/~robdebie/me163/ghin05.htm

http://www.xs4all.nl/~robdebie/me163/ye11-01.htm

So I guess I have a pilot about the right size he just needs to be cut down more. Too bad to loose his Iron Cross but you'd never have seen it for real anyway with the special flight suits they wore to fly this thing.

Joe

Old Aug 08, 2009, 09:05 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,204 Posts
Hi Guys,

I got a new HS-65MG servo and glued it into the nose to actuate my wheel dolly catch. I ended up making a simple aluminum tab that a push rod slides through to hold on the dolly. It was the least Rube Goldberg system I could come up with.

I did screw up my battery tray slightly. I should have made the straps secure in the other direction since I have to work around the rudder push rod. That would have made things easier when changing battery's.

I also ground out the cut outs in my spinner so now the prop fits.

For the dolly I made brass tubes that have 3mm threads from a 3mm bolt glued with JB Weld in th e fuse. They just screw into the existing blind nuts. The brass tubes give the 3mm shafts on the dolly s nice metal sleeve to drop from. If things go real bad I can unscrew them and still just bolt the dolly on as FBM intended. I didn't get pics of building those since once they were in I wasn't going to take them out for pics.

Here is a short video of the dolly dropping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRQooS-0H2E

Enjoy.

Joe
Last edited by Joespeeder; Aug 09, 2009 at 12:38 AM.
Old Aug 08, 2009, 11:24 PM
Still AWD, Subaru
St.Louis
Joined Nov 2006
883 Posts
nice work, looks great in the air and your dolly system looks to be perfect. Have you tried it yet?
ShawnM4kq is offline Find More Posts by ShawnM4kq
Old Aug 09, 2009, 06:57 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,204 Posts
Hi ShawnM4kq,

Thanks. That's not mine in the air. I'm still building The dolly came out better than I thought it would. It's still a work in progress.

I put in the 3 inch extensions for my Elevorons and color coded them. That way I don't have to plug into the Rx each time I get the 163 ready to fly.

Opened up a cooling hole in the bottom of the nose and installed screen and put one more cooling hole in the firewall. Then I went to work on the cockpit.

I built a bullet proof windshield, painted the cockpit and installed my Flea driver.

I also pulled the decals to get ready to start the camo paint work. The wing decals come off a little help from heat like you'd expect. However, the decals on the fuse are pained over with clearcoat. So you need to add more heat than normal so they come off cleanly and release at the clear coat edge. after they are off there is a ridge where they use to be. That's ok though since I'll be putting new decals in basically the same positions and once the molting is on you'll never notice.

Here's some pics from today's work.

Joe
Old Aug 10, 2009, 10:13 AM
SDF
Joined Sep 2002
267 Posts
Are these still being sold anywhere?
FOShowNoClass is offline Find More Posts by FOShowNoClass
Old Aug 10, 2009, 11:01 AM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,204 Posts
Hi FOShowNoClass,

I got mine from TexasRC. They may be selling somewhere else also. Not sure.

Here's a couple of pics from late last night. The stock stickers all in a pile of their ARF glory..... and the canopy being glued on with canopy glue. I taped all around and under the where the canopy sits on the fuse. Then I used a good amount of glue since I knew a lot of it would ooze out the bottom.

Once the canopy was in place I taped it down throughly and let it dry over night. This morning I just removed the canopy from the fuse and started removing tape. Once the tape was gone a little clean up of a couple spots of glue drops and it's job done.

I also glued small square reinforcing ply bits behind the four corners of the hatch in the tail, pre-drilled the screw holes and fitted 4 Allen servo screws.

As far as I can tell the major assembly is done. I need to set up throws, rebalance, and look at some addition balsa blocks on the dolly. I think I'll try to get the brown splinter and blue underside and tail base coats on it tonight.

I wont be ready this week for it maiden. Next Tuesday weather permitting it'll fly.

Joe

Old Aug 10, 2009, 11:24 AM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,204 Posts
Hey Guys,

I keep meaning to post these vids..... They take about 19 minutes total but well worth it. Hanna Rietch was considered one of the best test pilots in the world and not only flew the Komet but the maned Buzz Bomb You'll note she's wearing her Iron Crosses in this interview.

I'm sure someone will correct me but I believe she wasn't able to be in the Luftwaffe due to being a women. So she was presented with those crosses by Hitler himself. I have no idea about her political views and hate to guess. She was however a VERY good pilot.

First female test pilot - Hanna Reitsch 1 (9 min 17 sec)

First female test pilot - Hanna Reitsch 2 (9 min 19 sec)

First female test pilot - Hanna Reitsch 3 (2 min 7 sec)

Joe

Old Aug 10, 2009, 11:22 PM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,204 Posts
Hey Guys,

Well tonight was paint night. I got the major paint done. I still need to add the decals, panel lines, and do slight weathering. Well not so much weathering as add texture since the real thing wasn't as smooth as our models. Then dull coat.

I sprayed the brown splinter first. Then the light blue bottom and tail. The I went to work adding the molting. It looks good to me right now. However, when I try to photograph it it looks too thin. I may dust/fog in more green and brown to darken to molting areas. I'll look at it fresh tomorrow and decide.

Enjoy.

Joe

Old Aug 12, 2009, 09:15 AM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,204 Posts
Hey Guys,

Not much to report today since I went flying last night. Flew both the PZ Corsair and my H&M FW-190. Got four flights total and both 190 landings were shiny side up including the taxiing back to the flight line. Funny taxiing back through he grass seems to be the hardest part

Here are some additional pics of the paint and decals to tease you. I ordered the correct wing decals yesterday. Callie took pity on me and got them out in last nights mail so I can complete my Flea for next weeks warbird night. She's so good to work with...

Anther flyer at PMAC is also building a FBH 163. He had it there last night and was getting ready to maiden it. He didn't have any "reflex" dialed in and needed to address his throws and dial in his set up. He is going to reference Dave's set up over at RCU to be sure he's in the ballpark. So it looks like we'll have 2 Komets in the air next week.

More pics later as I continue my detailing.

Oh yea, I have one of the other flyer's bringing his video camera next week so win, lose or draw there will be footage.

Joe

Last edited by Joespeeder; Aug 12, 2009 at 09:38 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 08:14 AM
Davison, MI
Joined Sep 2007
1,204 Posts
Hey Guys,

Here's some shots of the current progress. I have the panel lines 99% done. They still need a light airbrushing and then texturing of the panels.

Looks like paint work will be done tonight.

Joe

www.thecaterhamprojct.com
Old Aug 14, 2009, 01:06 PM
United States, WA, Kapowsin
Joined Jun 2004
461 Posts
Hi Joe: Beautiful looking Komet!! I received mine this week from www.texasrcplanes.com. Your detail is awesome!!! where did you purchase the additional decals? Good luck on the maiden.

2 Thumbs Up!! Joe
Yardbee is online now Find More Posts by Yardbee
Last edited by Yardbee; Aug 14, 2009 at 01:17 PM.