SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 02, 2009, 04:33 AM
Joined Jan 2006
105 Posts
Discussion
H-model ASG 29 1:3 - need info

Hi,

I am looking for info on the H-model ASG 29. I have searched british, german and US forums, but canīt seem to find any reviews or flight reports.

So if you own/know this model please share your experiences on the following subjects:
- Thermal capabilities/handling
- Speed envelope
- Aerobatic capabilities
- Wing flex (does wing tips flex down at high speeds like in the video of the maiden flight of the prototype? Video to be found at www.hmodel.cz )
- Kit quality
- Servos used
- Airfoil, HQ-DS; whatīs the verdict?

This plane is sold by Icare in the US and Lenger/TUN in Europe.
sjaa is offline Find More Posts by sjaa
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2009, 11:13 AM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,967 Posts
The plane is from HF modell (faltusmodell). Soaring USA sells it also. I should come in at near 16 lbs. The one in the pic flew great. You can get some more info here

http://www.faltusmodel.com/en17.htm
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Aug 02, 2009, 11:54 AM
"Fly"Fisherman
Guntersville, AL
Joined Jun 2004
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjaa
Hi,

I am looking for info on the H-model ASG 29. I have searched british, german and US forums, but canīt seem to find any reviews or flight reports.

So if you own/know this model please share your experiences on the following subjects:
- Thermal capabilities/handling
- Speed envelope
- Aerobatic capabilities
- Wing flex (does wing tips flex down at high speeds like in the video of the maiden flight of the prototype? Video to be found at www.hmodel.cz )
- Kit quality
- Servos used
- Airfoil, HQ-DS; whatīs the verdict?

This plane is sold by Icare in the US and Lenger/TUN in Europe.

I have the same questions. It looks like these planes are developed for the GPS triangle race and I've yet to see one really slow down in current videos. Even the new 1:2.5 ASH 31 looks like a racehorse. I've also noticed they don't seem to use flaps on landing. I wonder why? I have heard that H models are very high quality. Radim Horky, or someone in his organization, writes excellent english and generally responds to e-mails. Maybe we should ask him about the HQ-DS, or possibly someone on this forum will chime in. BTW, I think the model from HF that DavidJensen is refering to is 3.5 scale, a different model and maker.
Asher
Asher Carmichael is offline Find More Posts by Asher Carmichael
Old Aug 02, 2009, 12:46 PM
New York
Joined Feb 2002
3,073 Posts
Asher, I have the ASW-28/18 which is the identical model with a somewhat different wing (has flaps). Both are from HF (Faltus): http://www.faltusmodel.com/index.htm. Both are 5 meters.

The quality is good...maybe 8 out of 10. Nicely detailed cockpit, nice retract, good quality glass work. Recesses molded in for MPX connectors. Wings feature main spars that carry through the fuse in a scale like manner. Not easy to insert the pin that locks the two spar stubs together.

I put a motor in the nose of mine, haven't had much air time so I won't comment on how well it flies.

Regards,

Steve
SteveR is offline Find More Posts by SteveR
Old Aug 02, 2009, 12:51 PM
Joined Jan 2006
105 Posts
Thanks both of you.

@david and SteveR: The model I am looking for is the H-model not the HF. The HF is 1:3,6 and is said to be a very good plane as there is a lot of information on the web. I have been told that the HF quality has increased after Patrik Faltus took over the business. Price tag is not bad either If I donīt end up with the ASG itīll probably be the Ventus 2Cx from HF

@SteveR: I think the main differences between the ASG 29 and the ASW 28 is that the ASG has a higher aspect ratio, slightly wider fuselage and flaps.

@asher:
There is some info on tun.ch; they seem to be content with the plane clocked in at 250km/h top speed. I am looking for a versatile plane for both thermals, fast passes and light aerobatics. The two canditates are HF Ventus 2cx (as it has stiff wings) and the ASG in question (with H-model ASH 25 as runners up). All planes available here in norway at a fair price.

I have a friend who flies a 1:2 ASG 29 with the HQ-DS and he is VERY content, both for thermalling capabilities and speed; and he does land with flaps

The little information I have found on the profile family(as I donīt know the thickness and camber used on the ASG) is promising, and in my opinion favors the ASG over the HQ 3.15-3.10 airfoil of the Ventus. The HQ-DS airfoil is designed for "large sailplanes" as stated in Dr. Quabeckīs web site, whatever he means by that
Quote Tony Elliot:
" HQDS - well, the HQDS airfoils were designed essentially to increase the usable flight envelope over previous HQ airfoils. My understanding is that special attention was given to the profile form so that a wider, more usable flight envelope can be achieved with concise use of chamber changing flaps. Hence the term "dynamic". Dynamic in the sense that the envelope of flight can be increased by dynamically altering the wing shape during flight. Not to be confused with the US version of dynamic soaring - totally different beast!! "

I am already familiar with the H-model quality, I have flown their 1:3,75 DG 600 for a couple of seasons. It is very good indeed!

I know the guy that imports the H-model range to Norway and Iīll talk to him as soon as he gets back from vacation. Will post an update as soon as I know more.

But still it is nice with second opinions, so everyone with experience with this sailplane, please share your knowledge...

The 1:2,5 ASH 31Mi looks very nice indeed, but the size and price tag places it out of my league. I heard an estimate of 6500-7300 usd....

Regards,
Jo
Last edited by sjaa; Aug 02, 2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old Aug 02, 2009, 01:49 PM
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
6,953 Posts
Jo

I hope you dont mind me hijacking your thread here, but when I saw you say you flew the H-model DG 600, you got my attention! I have been offered a second-hand one, and I would very much appreciate answers to similar questions you posed in your first post in this thread about that model!

Thanks

Chris
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Aug 02, 2009, 02:07 PM
Joined Jan 2006
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvanscho
Jo

I hope you dont mind me hijacking your thread here, but when I saw you say you flew the H-model DG 600, you got my attention! I have been offered a second-hand one, and I would very much appreciate answers to similar questions you posed in your first post in this thread about that model!

Thanks

Chris
You have a PM
Old Aug 02, 2009, 06:56 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
6,967 Posts
The ASG 29 is the successor to the ASW 28-18. I am only aware of the HF ASG 29 5M. I did not know another one existed. Here is proof that even at 30oz/sq ft these scale ships can fly somewhat slowly

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post12791870
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Last edited by davidjensen; Aug 02, 2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old Aug 03, 2009, 09:56 AM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,696 Posts
Some very very sad news to report this morning, Patrick Faltus sent a message that his father Radomir has passed away, no information yet on the future of HF-Models. Apparently Radomir has been quite ill for awhile. Although I did not know him, it is especially sad to lose a member of the scale soaring fraternity, and a very fine craftsman. My heart goes out to his family.
s2000 is online now Find More Posts by s2000
Old Aug 03, 2009, 10:31 AM
Joined Jan 2006
105 Posts
I am very sad to hear that.
Last edited by sjaa; Aug 03, 2009 at 02:34 PM.
Old Aug 04, 2009, 02:53 PM
Joined Jan 2006
105 Posts
I have spoken with the norwegian importer today, but he couldnīt give much info on the subjects listed in the first post. However heīll connect me with a guy who owns this model, so that way Iīll have a good source for information.

Well, as I am not a very patient person I have sent an E-mail to Hmodel, looking forward to their reply. Will share when the time comes.

If you have knowledge of this model, please donīt hesitate to share......

Regards,
Jo
Last edited by sjaa; Aug 04, 2009 at 03:38 PM.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 02:07 AM
trend
Switzerland, Aargau, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
413 Posts
I fly an ASH29 in triangle races here in Switzerland.
Build quality is excellent and the plane flies well.
Min sink is around 1.2m/s and best glide at around 80km/h with a glide ratio of around 18. I clocked a 247 on its very first flight, you can easily go faster.
I started racing this year (also started with scale models this year, because of the racing, flew TD and a bit of F3F in the states before).
I won the competition in Interlaken with the plane, so I believe I can say this thing goes well.
Radim is a top builder an all around good guy, he flies triangle races, as well.
Beat
Most winning GPS plane is definitely the DG800, insane build quality and stiffness, German engineering...
In my opinion most promising plane and the one I would currently buy is the Antares from Jiri Baudis (maker of the Ceres F3B and among top F3B competitors) with a set of F3B foils.
Both of these have a solid waiting list, I believe it is around a year for the DG800 and about half a year for the Antares. I guess the DG800 will come down due to the Antares.
Check them all out at www.tun.ch
The ASG29 is available at a good price.
All these planes can win competitions, it is, as always, more dependent on the pilot.
Pics and videos of the ASH29 here (manufacturers page) http://www.hmodel.cz/modely_en.html
Beat
trend.ab is offline Find More Posts by trend.ab
Last edited by trend.ab; Aug 15, 2009 at 03:57 AM.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 03:49 AM
Joined Jan 2006
105 Posts
thank you trend.ab.

It sounds very nice indeed. Gratulations with the victory at Interlaken

I have now ordered an ASG with extra carbon D-box, to minimize the wing flex. Sounds like Iīll have a versatile plane with excellent speed capabilities.

I would really appreciate if you could elaborate a bit on landing speed, thermalling capabilities and general stability. There might be some racing at our national meets, but mostly Iīll be thermalling at our local field with some basic aerobatics and low passes after those long satisfying thermal flights

Really canīt wait to get my hands on this one.
Regards,
Jo
Last edited by sjaa; Aug 23, 2009 at 03:55 AM.
Old Aug 15, 2009, 04:06 AM
trend
Switzerland, Aargau, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
413 Posts
Jo
Just edited my previous post with more info, pics and video.
Congrats to your plane!
To your questions.
Landing speed: Just keep speed nicely up as you would do for any scale glider. No bad habits.
Thermaling: I had the flap and midwing ailerons coupled together first with two syncronized servos. I feel that handling in thermals got better when I separated those flaps and fly with three separately moving surfaces each side now.
On aileron, the outer ones moves 100%, the middle one 50%, the inner one 20% (more or less...)
For thermaling, just keep the speed up and stay high...Min sink is at 40km/h, but it stays almost flat up to about 70km/h. So if the thermal is big enough you can fly a bit faster without being punished.
I fly about 5mm snap-flap in all flight modes. Had a chat with Helmut Quabeck, the airfoil designer in Interlaken on this topic. He flies even 7mm, up and down.
2mm reflex for speed, 3mm camber for thermaling. CG about a cm further back then what Radim recommends on his homepage (dont remember the number, anymore).
Beat
trend.ab is offline Find More Posts by trend.ab
Old Aug 21, 2009, 01:40 PM
Joined Jan 2006
105 Posts
Thank you very much trend.ab.
That information is very helpful, and confirmes that I have made the right choice

Really canīt wait to get my hands on this one.

Reards,
Jo