SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:14 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,752 Posts
Not for the faint of heart... 3D printed stanchions in HO scale... all the strength of wet tissue paper!
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:29 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,454 Posts
This is a little OT but it does go with the idea of making/manufacturing your own parts. This is a article on 3-D bending wire (like pushrods, or the parts for a lattice mast). Looks like an interesting idea though. http://www.wired.com/design/2012/10/d-i-wire-bender/
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:57 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,752 Posts
The basic wire/tube bending concept is well known in industry... this is how we make prototype and low run production automotive tube assemblies (like brake lines, A/C pipes, exhaust pipes, etc). Machines are available in various sizes, from full manual to full CNC.

They're a pain when varous bend radii are needed, you need to change out the dies and wipers.
I'd like to do repeatable hand rails, when I need 2 or 3 identical pieces... very hard to do free hand! But for my current project, I'd need 2 radii... the very tight corners, and a big radius sweeper in front of the pilot house.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 12:31 AM
Keep it Simple, Make it Fun!
Wichita, KS
Joined Jul 2007
212 Posts
SO-3 Radar Antenna

Got this part back from Shapeways about a month ago. The fine detail and strong material worked out great. Still need to figure out how to make a screen for the dish.
1Ironhorse is offline Find More Posts by 1Ironhorse
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:53 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,752 Posts
Contact customer service and complain. They like to stuff fragile parts in really stiff plastic bags with no protection.

Part looks good tho! Do you like the surface finish? Try shooting some primer on it...
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:38 PM
Wichita, KS
Joined Jul 2007
212 Posts
When I first took it out of the bag I forgot what I had them print. It was in amoderatly large order of other parts including mufflers and prop shaft struts. I saw it all scrunched over and thought it would never straighten out and be usable, but now it is just what I was expecting. I haven't done any finish yet, but figured priming it as you suggest would help smooth the surface. I'm not looking for a glossy finish, so a little roughness is OK for me.

I've purchased the ELCO drawing CD from PT_BOATS.ORG and have been reviewing drawings. Found all kinds of cool stuff. Only gone completely through Roll 1 of 5 rolls of micro filmed ELCO drawings. Finding that PT-615 is configured considerably different than earlier boats. But, now I have engineering drawings of the parts, so...
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:22 PM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,454 Posts
now the shaft struts are not load bearing are they (more ornamental since the shafts themselves will be fairly stiff)?

How much extra to have them polished?
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Oct 12, 2012, 11:45 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,673 Posts
*sigh* Well, the good ol' days of 3d Printing could very well be over before they even really got started!

‹bertroll firm awarded patent on adding DRM to 3D printing
Patent hoarder Myhrvold & Co. could control nascent field.
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:51 AM
Wichita, KS
Joined Jul 2007
212 Posts
In white Strong & Flexable the center strut is $15.05, polished is $18.44. And I am using this as a structural part, is rather beefey. 3/16 Stainless Steel Shaft, 3/8" hull penetration Tube and oilite bering in the strut.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:11 PM
Wichita, KS
Joined Jul 2007
212 Posts
Same part in Stainless Steel would be $83.44.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 06:48 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,752 Posts
Here's the wheel house and crane control booth for my Sikuliaq, in 1:72 scale. Printed in sintered nylon, pretty reasonable cost. I'll show how I use the parts in the Sikuliaq thread.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:37 PM
United States, OH, Maineville
Joined Oct 2008
311 Posts
Hmmmm--- Would a 3-D printed part qualify as "Scratch built"? Perhaps an interesting point
for those who do judging to ponder. Does scratch building need to be re-defined?
John Fryant is offline Find More Posts by John Fryant
Old Nov 08, 2012, 10:41 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,752 Posts
Yes, according to the NRG...have to look up the exact wording, but parts made by others from your specs for your model are allowed.

See for example: http://shipmodeling.net/vb_forum/scratch.htm
Last edited by patmat2350; Nov 08, 2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 10:34 PM
Nickel Belter
Northern Ontario
Joined Jun 2009
865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig_c View Post
*sigh* Well, the good ol' days of 3d Printing could very well be over before they even really got started!

‹bertroll firm awarded patent on adding DRM to 3D printing
Patent hoarder Myhrvold & Co. could control nascent field.
"Under the system described in the patent, files containing plans for printed objects would be encased in a digital envelope that would check if the original designer had either given permission for the plans to be used or been paid for their product. Software to handle this would be embedded in 3D printers to make sure they couldn't produce unauthorized copies."

Sounds great. This means that people cannot pinch your CAD files and print themselves off products without your approval.

People who put in work to design something, whether it's a printed set of plans or a digital file, deserve to be compensated for their time and effort.
ZZ56 is offline Find More Posts by ZZ56
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:33 AM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,673 Posts
Found out about this just yesterday.... I'm hopefully going to try to make it to either the San Francisco or Sebastopol meetups. Make's 3D Printing Blog

MAKE Magazine
3D Printing Internationl Makers' Meetup an' Discuss
123 locations worldwide

Click here for meetup sites...

Make's 3D Printing Blog

craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Nov 16, 2012 at 01:03 PM.