HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 19, 2011, 07:03 AM
Joined Jul 2008
45 Posts
I got my first 3D printed parts today from Shapeways. It's a liferaft in scale 1:25. I ordered one in "White Strong & Flexible" and one in "White Detail". All in all I am really impressed of this technique although some finish with sandpaper has to be done before painting.

Did anyone try the "White Detail polished"? Slightly more expensive but that should save the sanding...
seegurke is offline Find More Posts by seegurke
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2011, 08:12 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,063 Posts
WSF is porous... it's nylon powder grains melted together- very strong, but gritty & porous.

The various "detail" materials do provide better finish... they are fused from liquid polymer. But the material is weaker, so not very good if you need structural properties.

Designing in a lot of detail in such parts is tempting, but you need to allow for sanding to remove the "strata", so don't go overboard with fine detail!
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Aug 19, 2011, 11:58 AM
GILL
United States, NJ, Hopatcong
Joined Aug 2005
2,518 Posts
Hat Pat, I don't think your secret long-term project is too secret. That looks like a DUCK rear end.
The 3D printing would be the way to go.
GILL RC is offline Find More Posts by GILL RC
Old Aug 20, 2011, 04:12 AM
Joined Jul 2008
45 Posts
Hi Pat!
Yes, you are right, too detailed design doesn't help. The White Detail is slightly better regarding to surface quality and fine details. But looking to the higher price the WSF would be my choice next time.
And for really fine details I will try the frosted materials some day.
seegurke is offline Find More Posts by seegurke
Old Aug 23, 2011, 01:33 AM
Keep it Simple, Make it Fun!
Wichita, KS
Joined Jul 2007
203 Posts
Printed First parts for 1:12 scale PT Boat

I got my 1:12 scale .50 cal Browning Machine Gun bodies in last week from Shapeways. Pat, I went overboard with the details and you are right, they will need some touch-up to make the pretty. I had them made out of Frosted Ultra Detail material. The parts have some printing striations that will need to be removed. The rivits were overkill. I'm making the barrels out of aluminum rod & barrel jackets out of aluminum tube. Need to drill out my tool for the holes in the barrel jacket.

I also had parts for the Mark 17 twin mounts printed. Two of the parts didn't print because I didn't make the wall thickness large enough. I've reworked the CAD models and will resubmit.

I'm reworking my 20mm cannon due to the lessons learned on the .50's. Making sure wall thicknesses are correct and putting holes in solid parts to reduce the amount of material.
1Ironhorse is offline Find More Posts by 1Ironhorse
Last edited by 1Ironhorse; Aug 23, 2011 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Add 20mm cannon
Old Aug 23, 2011, 01:51 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,380 Posts
Ironhorse, there was an article in Fine Scale Modeller (I think) a few years ago that showed how detail .50 mounts (in 1/35 but the idea would me the same), the part that I remember was that he had a jig he made for doing the cooling jackets so the holes were all regularly spaced and evenly distributed. Let me hunt around (and ask a few friends who subscribe), and see if I cannot find it.
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Aug 23, 2011, 09:28 AM
Keep it Simple, Make it Fun!
Wichita, KS
Joined Jul 2007
203 Posts
Barrel Jacket Drilling tool

Fooman,
I have a six sided tool to do the Barrel Jacket drilling all ready to machine out (White object on the right side of the first picture). I just haven't had the time to actually drill out the tool. We are in the process of moving and my tools are packed away so I just haven't gotten to it yet. My computer is much more accessable so I have continued working of the CAD models when I have a few minutes to relax.

I think what you are referring to is from John Drain's PT Boat site. That's the inspiration for the method I plan to use. Just need the time!
1Ironhorse is offline Find More Posts by 1Ironhorse
Old Sep 21, 2011, 02:21 AM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,620 Posts
3D Printer for everyone...

This reminds me of the old, original Macintosh roll out and campaign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Origo Web Site
Hello, I am Origo. I am a 3D printer for ten year olds.

You can draw your very own things in 3Dtin and I値l build them for you in plastic.

Right now, I am just an idea. I will be as easy to use as an Xbox or Wii. I値l be as big as three Xbox 360s and as expensive as three Xbox 360s. I will sit on your desk and quietly build your ideas, drawings and dreams.

There are other 3D printers. But none will be as easy to use as I will. None will be as reliable or work as hard for you. I知 not a kit or an industrial machine. I知 not complicated. I知 an appliance, like a toaster or a microwave. Only I知 purple and make your stuff.

You don稚 have to be ten to use me, but it helps. Sure adults are older and can do lots of different things such as drive a car and use a drill. But, adults aren稚 really good at imagining things. They池e afraid. Afraid of failing, afraid of not making the perfect thing. They see the world as it is, not as it could be. They see what can稚 be done, not what could become. Kids are not afraid. They値l draw anything and everything. They値l make whatever it is they feel like. They値l imagine, dream and create. And that痴 what I値l help you do. You could share me with your brothers, sisters and parents and make together. You could teach them how to make the world as they want it to be. Most of all though, I知 a tool for you.
http://www.origo3dprinting.com/

craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by craig_c; Sep 21, 2011 at 02:44 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 06:13 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,063 Posts
My latest 3D printing installment:

I'm working on upgrades to a certain venerable plastic fireboat kit in 1:87 scale. Given the age of the kit, I shouldn't have been surprised by how many incorrect and out-of-scale details there would be... but fixing it has led me to once again try 3D printed parts.

Shapeways now offers a material which they call "frosted detail"... a clearish solid plastic which is printed at higher resolution than other grades, and which of course costs more. The plastic is supported by a waxy matrix during production. This is mostly removed, but more cleaning with solvents and soap is needed to prepare the parts for paint. This stuff is what gives the parts a wet bumpy look in my photos.
It's also quite brittle, so small details are printed at your own risk!

Parts were researched online and through an out of print book, Ditzel's "Fireboats". I have several boxes of parts on the way from Shapeways; here is the first batch.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 06:55 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,542 Posts
Interesting stuff, Pat. Thanks! I'm waiting to see what it will cost to do parts for a 1:72 Union monitor. Knowing the clean up required, we're leaving off the rivet detail which will be simple to add myself.

On a related note, NPR's Talk of the Nation: Science Friday featured a segment recently on 3D printing. Its worth checking out to see where this technology is headed.

http://www.npr.org/2012/06/22/155582...hape-the-world
herrmill is offline Find More Posts by herrmill
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:50 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
9,827 Posts
There is a local company here in Portland, that says they can cut the lead time for printing down.
http://www.rapidmade.com/

Aimee
Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Aug 15, 2012, 03:11 PM
United States, Death Valley
Joined Aug 2003
3,113 Posts
Pretty neat stuff Pat!

I should learn CAD sometime. I just have like zero patience for it for some reason. I can draft all day long but can't sit for 30 min trying to do cad. Its like I'm trying to learn to walk all over again...
SilentHunter is offline Find More Posts by SilentHunter
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:08 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,063 Posts
Another packet in the mail today.

The model's nozzles are all one size, even though the real boat has three sizes of fire monitors... 2x 2000 GPM, 6x 3000 GPM, and 1x 6000 GPM (huge!).

So I made new ones, along with their yokes and bases (later for those).

The spuds on each end will hopefully let me spin them in the lathe to polish off the jaggies... we'll see...

Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:20 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,380 Posts
Found this link in WIRED this morning and thought it was a pretty cool use for 3-D printed parts (though it is OT a little) http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=WoZ2BgPVtA0#!

Pat, My great great-grand father was skipper of the old ALKI in Seattle, she had a tower like that. Is that what you are building with those parts?
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Aug 16, 2012, 01:51 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,063 Posts
Cool stuff... It's also used to make some complex organic shapes, like implants.
Nope, Firefighter.