HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 29, 2010, 06:19 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,698 Posts
Unbelievable!

Got my 3D printed STAINLESS STEEL struts today. Printed by a computer. Wow.

Actually, stainless steel powder, sintered and infused with a copper binder. And of course the parts have the visible layering... but I'd much rather clean up these rough parts, than try to carve them from blocks of steel!

Not cheap compared to Dumas struts (which wouldn't fit anyway), but a real deal for custom fabricated stainless parts. I'm happy.

In addition to grinding and polishing, I'll ream out the hole for Oilite bearings, and tap the boss for a retaining screw.

p.s: 14 calendar days from placing the order, to box on my doorstep. Free shipping from the Netherlands, and about one Andy Jackson each.

p.p.s: Thinking about printing up forty 20mm Oerlikons for your 1:96 Missouri? Fuhgettaboutit. Minimum printable part thickness is 1mm, and just look at that surface finish! It has its uses, but not for small details.

patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Last edited by patmat2350; Nov 29, 2010 at 07:32 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2010, 07:47 PM
Keep it Simple, Make it Fun!
Wichita, KS
Joined Jul 2007
212 Posts
Wow, looks great! Thanks for forging the way. I've been designing my struts & other parts in anticipation of using the SS pinting process. They will be pricy, but consider the cost of machining, not such a bad deal.
1Ironhorse is offline Find More Posts by 1Ironhorse
Old Nov 29, 2010, 08:28 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,698 Posts
My pleasure.
Here's one rough polished and "machined", fitted with an Oilite bearing for 1/8" stainless shafting.
Old Nov 30, 2010, 12:01 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,861 Posts
Amazing technology. I had heard of plastic 3D printing but now in metal? Oh, the extreme possibilities!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Nov 30, 2010, 12:21 AM
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,342 Posts
Wow!
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Nov 30, 2010, 08:42 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,454 Posts
The finish on the metal parts almost looks like the old sand castings you could buy. Looks like the metal is pretty soft so you can 'mill' it. I know that some places will print objects in a media that can further be used to cast parts in metal.
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Nov 30, 2010, 11:36 PM
Keep it Simple, Make it Fun!
Wichita, KS
Joined Jul 2007
212 Posts
How does the strength of the part seem. What is the thread size of your screw? Do you think a SS printed part would take #4-40 threads without stripping out?
1Ironhorse is offline Find More Posts by 1Ironhorse
Old Dec 01, 2010, 05:44 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,698 Posts
It's VERY strong. Think of a bronze casting sprinkled with stainless steel dust. I actually had a hard time putting in the 6-32 tap, ended up grinding off that feature and through-drilling for smaller screws.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 01:48 AM
Joined Nov 2010
223 Posts
Carbon Fiber Part Printer

"Unbelievable!

Got my 3D printed STAINLESS STEEL struts today. Printed by a computer. Wow."

Thanks for posting this patmat2350
Those parts look great, I recently looked into metal sintering of aluminum but couldnt find a good deal. the picture is an adaptation of Volker Jung's coaxial i drew on CAD and now want to get printed, hoping to get a lower price than Volker Jung offers(10,000$ for the mechanics i believe).

I am starting a project on using carbon fiber .15mm fabric layers with an SLA that prints in .15mm layers, hoping to end up with a Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic printer of sorts, so as to print out Carbon Fiber rc heli parts. My goal is a tensile strength value at least that of aluminum (400MPa), whereas most 3D printed parts only have a tensile strength of less than 100 Mpa. CRFP can be as high as 3000Mpa.
I have found websites with cheap FDM machines that could be modified, but havent found cheap SLA machines yet though.
tiltrotorcoaxial is offline Find More Posts by tiltrotorcoaxial
Last edited by tiltrotorcoaxial; May 17, 2011 at 01:26 AM.
Old May 06, 2011, 05:39 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,698 Posts
Another Project

Working on some axles for a secret long-term project... oh, there IS a propeller involved!

Need three large beam axles with differentials, so I'm building cases around some Traxxas truck difs. There will be a lot more to these.

Designed in CATIA... saved as an STL file... sent to Shapeways, who printed the the trial parts in sintered nylon and got them back to me in 2 weeks.

I didn't realize that the coarse mesh visible in the STL was real geometry... next time, I'll define a finer mesh for smoother surfaces.

But I'm pretty happy.

Old May 06, 2011, 05:52 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,417 Posts
Amazing work Pat.
I wish I better understood the tools you doing your layouts with.
There is so much to "imagine".

Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old May 07, 2011, 08:18 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,454 Posts
Pat, let me guess a DUKW? (from the rear drive train pic above)
As for the faceting, I kind of like it, gives it a different kind of 'intentionally jeweled' look. Nice job on it though
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old May 07, 2011, 08:21 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,698 Posts
Thanks Aimee.

Foo: If it quakws like a dukw...

I found where to set my STL model resolution. There are limits, the file size gets out of hand quickly... in this simple example, my original STL (right) is < 1 MB... the highest res I can save (left) is 5 MB.

I might go with the middle one... 2 MB.
Old May 07, 2011, 10:09 AM
United Kingdom, England, Rochester
Joined Mar 2011
8 Posts
Pat, Correct The quality of the printed part depends on a number of things. Definition of STL file is but one. Material and the settings ont the printer.

I'm in the process of designing a 1/12th scale PIBBER. Its next to impossible to fine 1/12 scale accessories so i have modelled everything in cad 3D and will get much of it printed.
ForkTailedDevil is offline Find More Posts by ForkTailedDevil
Old May 07, 2011, 10:41 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,698 Posts
Just don't set your expectations too high... even the best printing processes available won't match the finish found on a typical molded kit part.

Mixed media can help... maybe print the body of your Ma-Deuce, but make the barrel from tubing...etc.

Shapeways is offering a pretty high-res process now, which is a step in the right direction:
http://www.shapeways.com/materials/frosted_detail: