HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 01, 2009, 09:35 PM
westland Mi
Joined Apr 2007
172 Posts
did I read that right?

A laptop with a 54" screen? Your lap must have got bigger since the last time I saw you.
heavyhauler is offline Find More Posts by heavyhauler
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2009, 10:20 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,238 Posts
Here is a couple pictures of the demo pieces that are programmed into
the techshop machine... And once the support material is removed, the
crescent wrench, and the... uhh.. gear thingy actually work.

I have seen print outs of the granular printers, and it reminds me of
making sand candles at the beach...
Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Aug 01, 2009, 10:56 PM
USA'd ex Brit
Back.. In California
Joined Aug 2006
5,780 Posts
*Sigh*

I know Autocad inside out, backwards and standing on my head... and know the 3D stuff...

But...

Isn't getting a computer to make something from nothing kind of taking the fun out of making something with your hands from brass and wood?...

Sorry, I'm being a Luddite
toesup is offline Find More Posts by toesup
Old Aug 01, 2009, 11:10 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,139 Posts
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Aug 01, 2009, 11:38 PM
USA'd ex Brit
Back.. In California
Joined Aug 2006
5,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
Yes Tom, sometimes it feels just like that...
toesup is offline Find More Posts by toesup
Old Aug 02, 2009, 01:12 AM
Sacramento
Joined Mar 2007
946 Posts
3D Scanner

Check out this www.nextengine.com scanner.Go to Jay Leno's Garage video.
You can scan a 1/6 scale fitting and reduce it to 1/72 scale and get some great detail then have it 3D printed in abs plastic,resized for casting metal shrinkage and cast in your choice of metal.
jaguar75 is offline Find More Posts by jaguar75
Old Aug 02, 2009, 01:31 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,442 Posts
wasn't that the Leno's garage where they made a Crescent wrench (in one printing) and it worked?
I had seen a thing on the tube where they were doing a facial reconstruction of a human skull that was being used as evidence for the manner of death, so they had to scan and make a 3-D model of the piece. The interesting thing was the material they used for the model, paper, layer upon layer of paper. It would use a laser to make a layer it would be glued automatically to the previous layer an next one is cut out, etc.. Very cool never seen a printer like that before, and because of the thickness of the layers there was not that 'pixelated' layered look that plastic and some other mediums can have.
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Aug 02, 2009, 01:44 AM
Sacramento
Joined Mar 2007
946 Posts
3-d

This technology was created for NASA.They used it for making turbine impellar blades.The 3-D printing machine , using an MRI of the patient's damaged skull , would create liquid layers of clear acrylic plastic resin in the exact shape of the skull,where the Leno machine uses abs plastic.The first real use was in the medical field for cranial surgeons for skull reconstruction.They would create the damaged skull in plastic then section it into pieces then reconstruct it.This way the surgical team had a reconstruction plan before going into surgery.
jaguar75 is offline Find More Posts by jaguar75
Old Aug 02, 2009, 06:28 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,391 Posts
Toes- Luddite, yes... get over it.

We're just making use of the latest tools. You use a lathe and a mill instead of hammer-forging iron on an anvil? Shame! Where's the craft? Do you use CA instead of animal hide glue? Lazy! Sandpaper instead of spokeshaves and scrapers? You've lost touch with the required skill sets! ... and you know I could go on and on with this list...

Yes, if it was easy as using a Star Trek replicator, just thinking about what I want and pushing a button, then that would not be craft. But if you see the amount of work that goes into the research, making a usable and representative CAD model, and the finishing, you'll understand that it's still skilled work... just different skills and work.
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Aug 02, 2009, 08:51 AM
Leesburg, VA, USA
Joined Dec 2008
211 Posts
I couldn't agree more with Patmat. There is skill in using the computer or whatever tool you use to make model ships.
admiralbb62 is offline Find More Posts by admiralbb62
Old Aug 02, 2009, 10:35 AM
Joined Jul 2006
247 Posts
Craft or Art or Something else?

This brings up a big and old debate. Is ship Modeling a Craft or an Art form. Will the use of computer tech to make a part even qualify as craft as we know it now? Perhaps it is just engineering. I see no differance in making it with a computer than ordering it from Billings and Blue Jacket. However the Smithsonian will not accept a model made with commercial fabricated parts. Some bought parts they allow like chain. It is a VERY SHORT list though. I do not think they accept models made with CA because the Jury of Time is still out. Perhaps they will not accept models with computer generated parts because it is not hand made.

I think ship modeling is craft because I am trying to copy something created by others. I think ship design should qualify as a form of art. The Marine architect dreamed it up and created it. This applies to buildings and engineering projects as well. Some bridges are beautiful and should be art.

Enough for now.

Phil Roach
roach101761 is offline Find More Posts by roach101761
Old Aug 02, 2009, 10:43 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,391 Posts
Arrrghhh! Hijack!
Not the craft vs. art debate again!
Maybe we can continue that thought over at:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=870036 ?
Last edited by patmat2350; Aug 02, 2009 at 11:35 AM. Reason: to reduce the rudeness index of my original post, sorry...
Old Aug 02, 2009, 11:26 AM
Submarines, etc.
Arvada, Colorado
Joined May 2005
1,580 Posts
I write computer software for a living, so the last thing i want to do is corrupt my hobby, I don't want it to become an extension of work... i want it to be fun.

I have however, at one time, used adobe illustrator to draw the layout for a really nice laser cut deck for my type II, because I knew that a hand cut version would look like crap.
tsenecal is offline Find More Posts by tsenecal
Old Aug 02, 2009, 03:11 PM
Leesburg, VA, USA
Joined Dec 2008
211 Posts
I'll let the craftsmen gnaw their parts from trees in their back yard and I'll keep assembling my computer generated parts.
admiralbb62 is offline Find More Posts by admiralbb62
Old Aug 02, 2009, 07:06 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,391 Posts
Try gnawing this one from balsa! A 30mm (about 1-1/4") wide cowl vent, sheet metal style, and hollow. Just a trial, I still need to add details to it.

But I finally had success uploading to Shapeways, who are in the Netherlands, but accept orders from anywhere and ship internationally... and look at the price!

Actually, there's something like a $25 minimum... so I'll order several, and/or wait until I have additional parts ready... and until after I see the sample anchors from them. Let's see... for that Foundation Franklin, I need 4 cowls of this size, four more slightly smaller, a pelorus, several steam cargo and anchor winches, oval smoke stack cappers...