HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 23, 2012, 12:13 AM
Nickel Belter
Northern Ontario
Joined Jun 2009
865 Posts
The parts they printed for the AR were receiver parts, which are not controlled and indeed have been made from plastic in the past. It broke because as Pat's been pointing out, the stuff that 3D printers use to actually form the part is not very strong in comparison to forgings or mouldings.

Bizarrely, it was 'CSI' that came up with the most realistic interpretation of what this means: an assassin printing up disposeable, single-shot weapons that couldn't be traced back to anyone. The idea that someone is going to 'print' off a complete machine gun out of plastic and sintered metal and go shoot up someplace is ridiculous.
ZZ56 is offline Find More Posts by ZZ56
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 01:55 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,552 Posts
http://www.navsea.navy.mil/NewsView....wsWires&id=195

1/24/2013 Carderock 3-D printer completes first fabricated model from : NSWC Carderock Public Affairs

WEST BETHESDA, Md. - Naval Surface Warfare Center (NSWC) Carderock completed a fabricated model of the hospital ship USNS Comfort (T-AH 20), Jan. 10, marking the first ship model to be created using a new 3-D printer, Jan 10

The state-of-the-art 3-D printer, which is one of four in the United States, provides Carderock with the capability to deliver large, complex ship models. Additionally, the ship models require less assembly time and can be fabricated unattended, 24 hours a day.

"3D printing technology is currently being used in industry to produce parts, structures and models for various applications," said NSWC Carderock engineer Francisco "Paco" Rodriguez. "For more than a century, Carderock engineers have been at the forefront of technology in delivering ship models in order to build the Navy's future fleet. This next generation technology provides Carderock unprecedented capability to deliver fabricated ship models faster and at a more affordable cost for the Navy."

NSWC Carderock engineers and technicians upload computer-aided design (CAD) drawings of a ship model into the 3-D printer. As the printing process begins an epoxy resin is exposed to ultraviolet light, changing its state to a solid. A wiper applies a coat of the liquid to a flat surface on the machine and the ultraviolet laser then traces the shape of the part to be constructed. Once solidified, the wiper continuously applies additional coats of epoxy until the ship model is completed.

Partnering with Naval Air Systems Command and Military Sealift Command, the model testing of USNS Comfort (T-AH 20) will be conducted in the NSWC Carderock Anechoic Flow Facility, a closed-loop wind tunnel which quantifies aerodynamic and acoustic properties of scaled ship or aircraft models and sub-system components. The testing will focus on measuring the airflow of anemometers, wind measurement sensors that are installed on the superstructure of Navy ships.

"The results will determine a usable range of wind directions for the anemometers to help ensure safety while launching and recovering aircraft," said Naval Air Systems Command engineer Joshua Butler. "The wind indications within the established usable range are used to provide wind speed and direction measurements to aircraft."

In addition to delivering ship models, the 3-D printer will also provide NSWC Carderock the capability to produce large parts of any shape that can be downloaded as a CAD file.

"The model of the T-AH 20 was created within 25 days," said Rodriguez. "Prior to the installation of this 3-D printer, we would have conducted four different builds in the previous machine followed by attaching all of the components together, resulting in more than double the time to reach completion. Not only was less time spent building, but now the model will have fewer seams than before."

NSWC Carderock Division leads the Navy in hull, mechanical and electrical engineering expertise and delivers technical solutions in order to build and sustain a dominant, ready and affordable fleet. Headquartered in West Bethesda, Md., approximately 3,600 scientists, engineers, technicians and support personnel are located across the United States.

-NAVSEA-
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Feb 02, 2013, 02:51 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,552 Posts
OK, here's a great example of a part to print. My 1:72 Sikuliaq cranes have operator platforms with lots of railings and safety cages. I started to fab the railings from brass stanchions and wire, but quickly gave up. Also not a great candidate for PE.

So I made them in Shapeway's "Frosted Ultra Detail", where "ultra" means you pay a bit more for higher machine resolution... it's pretty good. Would be very expensive for my more massive models, like cabin walls... but a small airy part like this is only a few bucks.

The thickness is more than I'd like, but in this small scale, I think the complexity will grab the eye more than the overscale thickness.

Old Feb 03, 2013, 03:24 AM
Joined Jul 2008
45 Posts
This frosted ultra seems to have a really nice surface! As photos sometimes don't show the truth - do you think, this is ready to paint without any sanding or polishing?
seegurke is offline Find More Posts by seegurke
Old Feb 03, 2013, 06:06 AM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,656 Posts
I went to the link Pat and I really wish that there was somewhere to leave a copy of Grumpa Tom's "This thread is worthless without pictures!" gif over on the NavSea site.
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:28 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,552 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seegurke View Post
This frosted ultra seems to have a really nice surface! As photos sometimes don't show the truth - do you think, this is ready to paint without any sanding or polishing?
Maybe... I haven't cleaned these parts yet, but when I wash the "Frosted Detail" parts with paint thinner (same material, just coarser resolution), I get a hard powdery layer on the surface... this needs to be scraped and brushed off... which is difficult with complicated and delicate parts.
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:33 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,552 Posts
Zodiac

Reposting from my Grand Banks thread... a Zodiac printed in 1:20 scale.

The kit's part is solid (and very dense) resin, very heavy... and this kit has a weight issue already. So I made a hollow one with 0.030" wall, 5.5 oz went to 0.5 oz.

As with all sintered nylon parts, a lot of sanding and filling was required to make a smooth surface.

***Edit: After assembling, filling, and priming, it went up... to 0.6 oz.

Last edited by patmat2350; Feb 03, 2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old Feb 05, 2013, 06:25 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,552 Posts
Story about 3D printing living tissue:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...uman-embryonic

Hmmm, maybe I can print a live skipper in 1:20 scale!
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:03 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,450 Posts
This was in WIRED this morning, when you get done printing your parts you can print your dinner! http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...printer-space/ Interesting idea for space travel though, or for not wanting to make that second trip to the supermarket (because you inevitably forget something).
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Feb 06, 2013, 08:13 AM
Raleigh NC
Joined Jul 2008
1,839 Posts
Hmmm, maybe I can print a live skipper in 1:20 scale! but then you would have to name the boat the Mary Shelley
tghsmith is offline Find More Posts by tghsmith
Last edited by tghsmith; Feb 06, 2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:13 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,450 Posts
For those who use shapeways, this was in WIRED this morning. http://www.wired.com/design/2013/02/...7&viewall=true Kind of interesting to see all the steps that a part goes through there.
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:33 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,552 Posts
Another story, with a video:
http://money.cnn.com/video/technolog...ctory.cnnmoney

They're getting lots of coverage...
Old Feb 12, 2013, 04:16 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,728 Posts
Someone needs to use 3d printing the make me some 1/48th scale railings...one of my least favorite jobs is fabricating railings.
Predreadnut is offline Find More Posts by Predreadnut
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:34 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,552 Posts
You saw my 1:72 railings above, right?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:38 AM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,552 Posts
I usually take a pass on State of the Union speechs... usually just a rehash of current political issues. So I missed it when the Prez himself mentioned 3D Printing, and apparently in a positive way! (no 3d printed gun hysteria...).

http://www.shapeways.com/blog/archiv...n-Address.html

Another topic in the SotU: He mentioned Germany's practice of technical education at the High School level, and how we need to do the same. Yay! That's been a frequent topic here, how we've walked away from high school shop classes (much less a full-on technical degree at the H/S level!). I almost get teary-eyed talking about the apprenticeship programs I've seen in Germany:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...4#post15644257
Last edited by patmat2350; Feb 13, 2013 at 11:06 AM.