HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Pudknocker71, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:32 AM
United States
Joined May 2012
214 Posts
I've been enjoying the great natures photos on this thread so I thought I would add one of a Sphinx moth hovering while taking nectar from a Moonflower. Notice the left wing is flipped over backwards as it hovers. That's their secret to being able to hover as they do.

Alan
FliegenFrosch is offline Find More Posts by FliegenFrosch
Last edited by FliegenFrosch; Dec 21, 2012 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Forgot to add photo
Old Jan 02, 2013, 09:31 PM
Warbird junkie
Oviedo, FL.
Joined Feb 2009
2,013 Posts
Testing the ISO performance of the Nikon D7000. Not bad at 3200.

DSC_9471 by dwhart24, on Flickr
Dwhart24 is offline Find More Posts by Dwhart24
Old Jan 02, 2013, 10:18 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,572 Posts
Can anyone give me a settings starting point for shooting indoor electric flying in an average HS gym? I took my ISO quite high but the majority of my shots were still blurry. Using a dx5100 with stock 55-300mm lens.
Hornetnz is online now Find More Posts by Hornetnz
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:02 PM
You're good!
United States, VA, White Stone
Joined Jun 2005
6,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwhart24 View Post
Testing the ISO performance of the Nikon D7000. Not bad at 3200.

DSC_9471 by dwhart24, on Flickr
Cool! New toy?
Safety Hawk is offline Find More Posts by Safety Hawk
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:23 PM
Warbird junkie
Oviedo, FL.
Joined Feb 2009
2,013 Posts
Yep. New toy.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 03:28 PM
Warbird junkie
Oviedo, FL.
Joined Feb 2009
2,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornetnz View Post
Can anyone give me a settings starting point for shooting indoor electric flying in an average HS gym? I took my ISO quite high but the majority of my shots were still blurry. Using a dx5100 with stock 55-300mm lens.
I haven't shot much indoors, but unless you have something like a f2.8 lens, it may be hard to get some fast action shots in a gym. Besides that, the only other option you have is bumping the ISO up. You will have to be good at your panning as well. What shutter speed were you at?
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:13 PM
You're good!
Joined Jun 2005
6,895 Posts
Quote:
I haven't shot much indoors, but unless you have something like a f2.8 lens, it may be hard to get some fast action shots in a gym. Besides that, the only other option you have is bumping the ISO up. You will have to be good at your panning as well. What shutter speed were you at?
Yep! You need a fast lens for that. Something that will allow you to bring your shutter speed up.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:18 PM
You're good!
Joined Jun 2005
6,895 Posts
Quote:
Yep. New toy.
You're gonna like it! I love mine! I almost pulled the trigger on a D600 a couple of weeks ago, and decided not to, because I'm so happy with the D7000. Only benefit of the D600 was the full frame...otherwise I think the D7000 is a superior camera.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:26 PM
Warbird junkie
Oviedo, FL.
Joined Feb 2009
2,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety Hawk View Post
You're gonna like it! I love mine! I almost pulled the trigger on a D600 a couple of weeks ago, and decided not to, because I'm so happy with the D7000. Only benefit of the D600 was the full frame...otherwise I think the D7000 is a superior camera.
That's good to hear. I'm liking it so far. It's taking a little getting used to. I shot an RC event with it on Sunday. I realized a few things about the focus options after looking through the photos. More shots than I expected were a little out of focus. Hopefully I have the focus a little more dialed in now.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:45 AM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,572 Posts
Quote:
That's good to hear. I'm liking it so far. It's taking a little getting used to. I shot an RC event with it on Sunday. I realized a few things about the focus options after looking through the photos. More shots than I expected were a little out of focus. Hopefully I have the focus a little more dialed in now.
Mind sharing what you realized?
Old Jan 04, 2013, 09:47 AM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,572 Posts
Quote:
I dont recall my shutter speed, but I assumed what you said...that I need a faster lens. That always leads to a problem...spend money on R/C or camera gear!!
Old Jan 04, 2013, 12:56 PM
Warbird junkie
Oviedo, FL.
Joined Feb 2009
2,013 Posts
Quote:
Mind sharing what you realized?
On page 209 of the manual, there is a setting for a3: focus tracking with lock on. This gives you 5 options for locking on to a sublect while tracking it. Option 5 being that once it locks on the subject, the focus will not change until 5 seconds is up. Option 1 being 1 second. The camera comes default at setting 3. I did not know about this setting until I started really digging in as to why a lot of the shots were out of focus. So I turned this option off. I think what was happening is, I started to focus on a model as it was coming at me. The first shot was in focus, but as the model got closer it starting getting out of focus. Now that I have shut that option off, it will stay continously focused as I pan with the model.

The reason this lock option is so the camera, is so when you are focused on something and say something walks between the camera and the subject, the camera won't try and refocus on whatever walked in the frame. Whew....

Here is a shot from this camera over the weekend.

DSC_0070 by dwhart24, on Flickr
Old Jan 04, 2013, 12:57 PM
Warbird junkie
Oviedo, FL.
Joined Feb 2009
2,013 Posts
Quote:
I dont recall my shutter speed, but I assumed what you said...that I need a faster lens. That always leads to a problem...spend money on R/C or camera gear!!
I know what you mean. I actually contemplated selling some of my RC stuff for camera equipment.
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:01 PM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,572 Posts
Quote:
The reason this lock option is so the camera, is so when you are focused on something and say something walks between the camera and the subject, the camera won't try and refocus on whatever walked in the frame. Whew....
Good to know! I'll have to see if my 5100 has that option as well. Thanks
Old Jan 06, 2013, 09:28 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,675 Posts
Quote:
On page 209 of the manual, there is a setting for a3: focus tracking with lock on. This gives you 5 options for locking on to a sublect while tracking it. Option 5 being that once it locks on the subject, the focus will not change until 5 seconds is up. Option 1 being 1 second. The camera comes default at setting 3. I did not know about this setting until I started really digging in as to why a lot of the shots were out of focus. So I turned this option off. I think what was happening is, I started to focus on a model as it was coming at me. The first shot was in focus, but as the model got closer it starting getting out of focus. Now that I have shut that option off, it will stay continously focused as I pan with the model.

David,

Thanks for that Tip!!!!
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member