SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Pudknocker71, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 05:38 AM
Debary, Fl.
Joined Oct 2007
2,314 Posts
Excellent Photos Rengine! Reminds me of some car show photos I have some where.
Pudknocker71 is offline Find More Posts by Pudknocker71
Old Aug 28, 2009, 05:41 AM
Debary, Fl.
Joined Oct 2007
2,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying-Monkey
I started with an old AE-1

I learned to dive in Massachusetts. I feel your pain.
Learned on an Olympus OM-1.

I learned to dive right here in FL. In the middle of winter. Cold swimming pool with no heat. Put wet suits on with hot shower. Open water certified in Key Largo.
Pudknocker71 is offline Find More Posts by Pudknocker71
Old Aug 28, 2009, 06:04 AM
central AZ
Joined May 2002
1,292 Posts
LOL, yeah, someday I'll get the dough to make a dive trip to some springs. I don't recall the location, but I hear there's an old mine somewhere that's been turned into a premier diving location with crystal clear water and lots of goodies to go look at. Though the salt river was pretty clear when I dove it last fall. Something like 25' vis, and planty of things to find that all the drunk tubers drop overboard, LOL! Anywho, back to the pictures . . .

Yeah, the AE-1 was given to me as a gift. If not for that, I'd try to sell it to some collector or whatnot and use the money for a nice digital setup. But I'd still have to fork over TONS of money to get the kind of setup that AE-1 has. I need to get it back out, but when it was given to me, it had something like 5-6 lenses (one went up to 300mm!) and a lens doubler (making that 300 a 600!!!). A nice flash, some other goodies. A pretty complete kit. I'll just need to swallow the cost of film to get good with it. I plan to get it out and use it in a week or so here. Planning a date to go up to the top of South Mountain here in Phoenix and get some photos of downtown, along with some sunset pics while enjoying a picnic sort of thing with this beautiful young lady. If any of them come out alright, I'll have to find a way to scan them onto my computer and post 'em up.

ETA: A quick search on Craigslist made me laugh about my comment regarding the sale of that AE-1 to a collector. Wikipedia's numbers confirm it's not a "rare" or hard item to find, LOL! Not that I was planning to sell it in the first place, but still. Got a good laugh outta what I've read. Silly me!
KnifeEdge51 is online now Find More Posts by KnifeEdge51
Last edited by KnifeEdge51; Aug 28, 2009 at 07:24 AM.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 08:33 AM
United States, PA, Butler
Joined Jun 2006
1,003 Posts
You don't need a dSLR to learn. I shoot in full manual with my little cheap Fuji. I am limited in what I can do with such a small sensor and limited aperture settings, but it still allowed me to learn all I can about shutter, aperture, and ISO. You can learn how to adjust the settings with a variety of superzoom and many compacts even. I now just need a dSLR so I can get sharper images with more bokeh and less noise.

FYI, you guys can check out my little photo gallery if you'd like. I don't have much on there and haven't updated in quite some time though. I'll have to do that this weekend.
mrodgers is offline Find More Posts by mrodgers
Old Aug 28, 2009, 10:01 AM
central AZ
Joined May 2002
1,292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrodgers
You don't need a dSLR to learn.
Oh I know. I did most of my learning on the Rebel G. I just want a D-SLR because it would be WAY cheaper in the long run. I don't have to pay for film, and I don't have to keep taking photos over and over in different settings while keeping a log of what settings I used on each frame to reference later (though that's still a good idea if you want to be real disciplined and learn quickly). More cost up front, but I can take as many pictures as I want and I can view them immediately afterwards, then judge if it's a keeper or not right there. Cheaper to print from home if you have the right equipment as well. But oh well. It's one to add to the wish list, right? I'll keep using film for the time being, until they quit selling it or it gets real expensive! Hopefully that never happens, but who knows. Seems like the stamp is going out of style as we speak, LOL!
KnifeEdge51 is online now Find More Posts by KnifeEdge51
Old Aug 28, 2009, 10:26 AM
United States, PA, Butler
Joined Jun 2006
1,003 Posts
No, what I meant is you don't have to spend a lot of money by buying a dSLR when you can get some quite nice and high quality superzoom that does all the same things (just with limitations.) It should have read "you don't need an SLR, digital or otherwise..."

If you really want to learn before plunking down a ton of money and want the "take 100 shots and see what the results are for free", then go ahead and get yourself a superzoom. The viewfinder being electronic isn't as nice to use as a dSLR (or SLR for that matter), the aperture is more limiting as is DOF because of the sensor size (I can do nice bokeh but really have to pay attention to focal length and subject/background distance), and other stuff such as more digital noise.

My camera is 2 years old now and I've far outgrown it for learning photography, but it has taught me quite a lot for a mere $200 than I would have with a film SLR just sitting around because I don't want to bother with the cost of getting film developed (nor fit that cost into my budget.)

And the reason you have to learn how to use the manual settings and how a camera works is, my little cheapie superzoom takes MUCH better photos than my coworker's Rebel XTi and lenses that he paid $1500 the same week for. The reason is right behind the camera .
mrodgers is offline Find More Posts by mrodgers
Old Aug 28, 2009, 06:39 PM
Did you get it on video?
USA, FL, Miramar Beach
Joined Nov 2005
6,041 Posts
Speed Stick, when do you get your images reviewed by your teacher?
Flying-Monkey is offline Find More Posts by Flying-Monkey
Old Aug 28, 2009, 06:40 PM
Supra!!!!!!
Las Vegas Nv, USA
Joined Oct 2005
3,098 Posts
I'm taking more landscape photos with the DSLR now, so on sept 4th he will look over them all! I pick the best 10!
Speed Stick 3D is offline Find More Posts by Speed Stick 3D
Old Aug 28, 2009, 06:54 PM
Supra!!!!!!
Las Vegas Nv, USA
Joined Oct 2005
3,098 Posts
Here are some of the heli!
Old Aug 28, 2009, 07:19 PM
Eureka,Ca
Joined Jul 2007
623 Posts
This is what I had for dinner while vacationing at my grandparents ranch.

Tim
_HypnoToad_ is offline Find More Posts by _HypnoToad_
Old Aug 28, 2009, 07:23 PM
Eureka,Ca
Joined Jul 2007
623 Posts
Taken with my old (not so clear) camera.

Tim

Devin,what camera do you have?
_HypnoToad_ is offline Find More Posts by _HypnoToad_
Old Aug 28, 2009, 07:34 PM
Supra!!!!!!
Las Vegas Nv, USA
Joined Oct 2005
3,098 Posts
It was a friends camera! I think it was a Canon EOS 5D II, but im not 100% sure! Ill find out though!
Old Aug 29, 2009, 10:20 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
298 Posts

Here are a few candids of my son, who thinks he's a chinchilla. Camera's a cheap digital. I get much better results from my ol' Nikon F2 or my Canonet GIII
dll932 is offline Find More Posts by dll932
Last edited by dll932; Aug 29, 2009 at 10:26 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2009, 10:59 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
298 Posts

Some pix I took with the old Minox C. Keep in mind the negs are about 8x11MM and these are scans of prints from Minox's lab, which doesn't do the greatest job.
dll932 is offline Find More Posts by dll932
Old Aug 29, 2009, 11:22 PM
United States, SC, Rock Hill
Joined May 2006
462 Posts
Here are a few test shots I took. I recently upgraded to a DSLR, still learning all the settings.

sircrashesallot is offline Find More Posts by sircrashesallot
Last edited by sircrashesallot; Aug 29, 2009 at 11:29 PM.