HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Pudknocker71, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Apr 06, 2011, 02:45 AM
Seoul, Korea
Joined Nov 2007
44 Posts
Two pictures of the 63 building in seoul, not photoshoped and taken with an iphone camera.
Name: photo 2-9.jpg
Views: 69
Size: 52.6 KB
Description: Name: photo-4.jpg
Views: 80
Size: 52.9 KB
Description:
kuzao is offline Find More Posts by kuzao
Old Apr 06, 2011, 06:48 AM
Debary, Fl.
Joined Oct 2007
2,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuzao View Post
Two pictures of the 63 building in seoul, not photoshoped and taken with an iphone camera.
Attachment 3922212 Attachment 3922213
Cell phones are replacing point-n-shoots. Right now its only if you can afford a good one. Before long most will be capable. Instant connectivity is a huge bonus to point-n-shoots.
Pudknocker71 is offline Find More Posts by Pudknocker71
Old Apr 18, 2011, 05:55 PM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
I haven't been taking many photos lately, just too busy with other things.

I finally had some free time and the weather was cooperating, so Saturday I went walking through some old ranch lands and taking pictures.

I hiked about 7 miles though some great country with a lot to see and photograph. Most shots were taken with the kit 18-55mm lens. I REALLY want to get a Sigma 10-20mm. It would work great for most all these shots (I was using the 18-24mm range today mostly.

Here are a few of the pictures taken.

Acer is offline Find More Posts by Acer
Old Apr 18, 2011, 07:11 PM
War Eagle!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Sep 2006
2,923 Posts
Very nice shots, I really like them. That vulture must of been looking to make a meal out of you if it was that close..

I'm going to have the opportunity to shoot some 'fast' action this weekend at an athletic even, probably going to be using a D70/D80/D90, not sure which yet. Anyone have any pointers for me? I haven't done much outdoor shooting with the D series, nothing at all that was moving either.
sneasle is offline Find More Posts by sneasle
Old Apr 18, 2011, 09:38 PM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
Can't really help with the Nikons (sure wish I had one!). If it is really fast action, see if your camera has something called "catch in focus" or something similar. You can use this feature with manual focusing and the camera will automatically take a picture every time you achieve focus. This works exceptionally well with low depth of field shots (i.e. low F stop).

Also, another thing to try that works well is if you can focus to the distance that the players/athletes will be moving though, that way your shot is pre-focused.

Keep your shutter speed as fast as possible and use the camera that does the best with higher ISOs since you can really bump up shutter speed with higher ISO numbers.

The lower the F stop, the faster the shutter speed possible, but that also make focus more critical. This shouldn't bee too much of a problem with the Nikon though as I believe they use very fast focusing lenses.

If you have a decent telephoto, I'd definitely use it. Also use a tripod with a nice ball head, or at least a nice monopod so that you can pan smoothly with the action.

Hope this helps!
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:32 PM
War Eagle!
Joined Sep 2006
2,923 Posts
Won't have the option for all that most likely, borrowing it from work so it will be just me and the camera, either with the 18-105 or the 18-135 lens, not sure which yet.

I'll flip through the manual and see if I can find that feature, but I've never heard of it before. The D90's will crank the ISO pretty high, 6 or 12k range I think.. not sure.

I'll probably be working on manual focus, I don't think the AF will be fast enough for this, not for what I want.

If I get some good shots I'll post them when I get back.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:41 PM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
Just be sure not to go too high on the ISO setting, just get it high enough to get the shutter speed up, for example, my vulture shots were at 1/2000 sec. I would try to stay at 800 ISO or below, you don't want to introduce any grain.

My Pentax camera has a TAv setting on the dial. This will let me set the shutter speed to what I want and it will automatically set the ISO to keep that shutter speed. The ISO can be limited to a set range, so it won't go above what I want. This feature is very handy as it lets you concentrate on other things when speed is important. I'm sure your Nikon has a similar setting
Last edited by Acer; Apr 18, 2011 at 10:46 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 10:56 PM
Loveland, Colorado
Joined Mar 2000
1,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneasle View Post
I'll flip through the manual and see if I can find that feature, but I've never heard of it before.
Search for "Nikon Trap Focus" on the net, it shows you how to set it up. This will work for autofocus and manual focus, but I think using it with manual focus would work better. If you have some free time before the event, you should probably experiment with the "trap focus" method on some moving objects (cars, people, etc)
Old Apr 19, 2011, 12:04 AM
War Eagle!
Joined Sep 2006
2,923 Posts
Sounds like a plan, I'll check for both of those, thanks.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 08:05 AM
State College, Valley Forge PA, LBI NJ
Joined Jun 2008
817 Posts
philly zoo

bboarder711 is offline Find More Posts by bboarder711
Old Apr 21, 2011, 10:06 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
couple shots of some of the family:

Grace on Flickr

Maggie on Flickr
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē
Old Apr 22, 2011, 05:54 AM
Norwich, England
Joined Jan 2010
589 Posts
Been very busy these past few months, i have had a change of job to a conservation worker.

grabbed a couple shots, as usual one of a full moon and the second of Oscar aka Doogle the norfolk terrier.
TamiyaCowboy is offline Find More Posts by TamiyaCowboy
Old May 05, 2011, 12:56 AM
You're good!
United States, VA, White Stone
Joined Jun 2005
6,897 Posts
A few of my photos.

Safety Hawk is offline Find More Posts by Safety Hawk
Old May 06, 2011, 04:07 PM
Norwich, England
Joined Jan 2010
589 Posts
A few more.

i have stepped up in the world of photography and purchased a secondhand canon 350D with a 18-55mm II none IS kit lens. i also have a komura 135mm F2.8 m42 fitting my dad gave to me.

here are a few more photo's i have taken
TamiyaCowboy is offline Find More Posts by TamiyaCowboy
Old May 12, 2011, 08:26 PM
USA, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2004
1,114 Posts
Gettin' back to AVIATION photos for at least this post...

Dear Fellow RC-Group Shutterbugs:

The PIPE Here...a very long-time (since 1980) "Pentaxian", a lover of those cameras from the Asahi Pentax firm in Japan.

I've had two Pentaxes, a photo of the two of them together is shown first in my collection (sorry, I cheated with my only non-Pentax camera. a P&S Olympus C770 for that one)...the film burner in the collection is my 1980 vintage Pentax K1000 SE, all-manual film SLR camera with the brown vinylcladding on the body, and the digital SLR is my Pentax K100D 6 MP digital SLR with integral image stabilization, which, thanks to that amazing backwards compatibility of the Pentax series of cameras' K-type bayonet mount lenses, can take the film burner's lenses quite nicely, with at least three of the photos I've got shwon here, taken with the film burner's Vivitar Series 1 80-210 macro manual zoom lens. (page on these old beauties exists at http://www.robertstech.com/vivitar.htm ) ...I've got a first production series one of the Vivitars, with the arrow-straight "zoom lines" on the lens' external barrel, all focal lengths at f/3.5 max aperture, and 67mm filter size.

My best film photo is of Old Rhinebeck's first Sopwith Camel repro, built by Dick Day and zooming skywards with a load of dummy Cooper bombs labeled for The Evil Black Baron.

The digital photos I've got here are a few of Keith Zimmerly's one third sized Giant Scale Avro 504 aircraft from my last visit to Old Rhinebeck in 2008...one year earlier, a closeup shot of the Le Rhone 9J rotary engine in the nose of ORA's own repro Avro 504 is just about the single best photo I've ever taken with that camera.

Where I've been out of work for some 31 months now, I'm just quite glad I got myself the K100D digital when I did in 2007...with college now my main focus (just started on finishing up the last eight courses to complete a long-delayed two-year business administration degree) I'm still hoping to get back to work, so "someday" I COULD get myself a niiice Pentax K-5 or K-7 high-res, video-capable digital SLR camera body that can still use my small stable of Pentax lenses, but that HAS to wait for the future...

...hope you enjoy the photos !!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
The PIPE is offline Find More Posts by The PIPE
Last edited by The PIPE; May 12, 2011 at 08:41 PM.