SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Pudknocker71, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 07:18 AM
Norwich, England
Joined Jan 2010
589 Posts
I have been busy over the winter fall, found up my old memory cards from my holidays and gave them some tone mapping ( fake HDR).

attached you can find my most fave i have done
TamiyaCowboy is offline Find More Posts by TamiyaCowboy
Old Feb 23, 2011, 02:28 PM
War Eagle!
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Sep 2006
2,923 Posts
Very nice, talk about low tide..
sneasle is offline Find More Posts by sneasle
Old Feb 23, 2011, 04:15 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamiyaCowboy View Post
I have been busy over the winter fall, found up my old memory cards from my holidays and gave them some tone mapping ( fake HDR).

attached you can find my most fave i have done
you've got some great shots there

can you give me a rough idea of how you do the tone mapping to make a single exposure appear like those above?
habitforming is offline Find More Posts by habitforming
Old Feb 23, 2011, 05:18 PM
Norwich, England
Joined Jan 2010
589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitforming View Post
you've got some great shots there

can you give me a rough idea of how you do the tone mapping to make a single exposure appear like those above?
there are a couple of ways.

hardest : you need to take 3-7 shots, underexposed, normal exposure, over exposed. these will give you the details, we then merge them with something like photoshop or GIMP. this will produce a tone mapped / HDR picture from between 3-7 shots of different exposure.

easy : pop and give google a bash with the search term " photomatix" it is a nice piece of software that will give you a tone mapped effect. the trail version is cool but has three watermarks ( can be cheated by thinking about where to place shots in frame or crop picture) the full version removes the watermark and allows for some small extras.

i use photomatix but i also run gimp hdr scripts to. have not used photoshop its a bit expensive for me
Last edited by TamiyaCowboy; Feb 23, 2011 at 05:20 PM. Reason: added detail info
Old Feb 23, 2011, 09:56 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamiyaCowboy View Post
there are a couple of ways.

hardest : you need to take 3-7 shots, underexposed, normal exposure, over exposed. these will give you the details, we then merge them with something like photoshop or GIMP. this will produce a tone mapped / HDR picture from between 3-7 shots of different exposure.

easy : pop and give google a bash with the search term " photomatix" it is a nice piece of software that will give you a tone mapped effect. the trail version is cool but has three watermarks ( can be cheated by thinking about where to place shots in frame or crop picture) the full version removes the watermark and allows for some small extras.

i use photomatix but i also run gimp hdr scripts to. have not used photoshop its a bit expensive for me
Thanks! I've worked with bracketed photos before, but never realized what you could do with a single exposure.
habitforming is offline Find More Posts by habitforming
Old Feb 24, 2011, 07:00 AM
Norwich, England
Joined Jan 2010
589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitforming View Post
Thanks! I've worked with bracketed photos before, but never realized what you could do with a single exposure.
yeah works better if it is in RAW as you do not loose any data unlike JPG compressed files. the HDR/tonemapping script for gimp is ok it works but does take some time getting the correct bracketed shots. photomatix i found the fastest with the most options.

gamma is a very nice slider to mess with gives that dark ominous type view you get in computer games. saturation when pushed above 65% gives a gravely type coloring that is very bright.

shadowing tools are powerful its possible to mess up here so i tend to go light with these settings.

best default setting is painterly then move around in the settings tools. also dont be affraid to run the same photo twice through the tone mapper, it can give some very nice effects

heres a light tone map of my flowering strawberry plant's
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:29 PM
Warbird junkie
Oviedo, FL.
Joined Feb 2009
2,015 Posts
Some shots I took at the TICO Warbird Airshow on Saturday.
Dwhart24 is offline Find More Posts by Dwhart24
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:39 PM
small electrics r BIG FUN
Iowa
Joined Aug 2000
4,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acer View Post

The only large animal I haven't seen with my own eyes yet is a mountain lion. I HAVE come across their fresh tracks many times though, so I'm sure even though I didn't see them, they were watching me.
Carry some good binoculars, I like 10x50 . Walk quietly, against the wind, for 10 or 20 steps . Stop and slowly glass the area, then do it again. Preferably on the edge of cover so you aren't so visible. You'll be amazed at how much more wildlife you'll see this way... before they see (or smell) you.
Al P is offline Find More Posts by Al P
Old Mar 14, 2011, 02:23 PM
Debary, Fl.
Joined Oct 2007
2,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwhart24 View Post
Some shots I took at the TICO Warbird Airshow on Saturday.
Very nice. What camera/Lense for those long shots?
Pudknocker71 is offline Find More Posts by Pudknocker71
Old Mar 14, 2011, 02:31 PM
Warbird junkie
Oviedo, FL.
Joined Feb 2009
2,015 Posts
Thanks. Nikon D5000. Nikon 70-300mm lens. I would really like to get a 400mm lens.
Old Mar 14, 2011, 07:54 PM
State College, Valley Forge PA, LBI NJ
Joined Jun 2008
817 Posts
Why is the rum gone?
bboarder711 is offline Find More Posts by bboarder711
Old Mar 19, 2011, 01:31 AM
Warbird junkie
Oviedo, FL.
Joined Feb 2009
2,015 Posts
You gotta love photo shop.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:28 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
Yeah... I admit it.. I got a thing about Garden and cemetery statuary.

I also got a thing for High contrast B/W.

I must also add.. that all these Pics were taken useing a generation one Motorola Droid smart phone.

these are cell phone pics.

I'm also using the Vignette camera app, the paid version, for these pics. I will say that the biggest differnece between the paid version and the free version of the app is that the free version limits you to 3.1Mp, and the paid version allows full use of the 5.0.

in my experience, yer not going to get much better than 3, or 4 out of cell phone cam anyways, anything over that, your reselution is limited by your optics, so.. whats the point?

in any case.... for the pics I set vignette to a leaky toy camera setting, set to B/W. Macro lens, and no flash.
if any of y'all have a android phone, I highly recommend this camera app for shots of opportunity. the only difference between paid and free is available resolution, I paid for the app because I really like it, and wanted to support the developers.
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:49 PM
Debary, Fl.
Joined Oct 2007
2,314 Posts
Awesome bgnome. Wife has some gnomes in her garden. Give the garden some time to grow. Might shoot some b/w myself.
Pudknocker71 is offline Find More Posts by Pudknocker71