HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Pudknocker71, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 03:23 PM
Debary, Fl.
Joined Oct 2007
2,314 Posts
Those are some classic photos FM. Reminds me of some of the photos my Grandpa took of Fl wild life. All Black and white. Except of course the underwater photos.
Pudknocker71 is offline Find More Posts by Pudknocker71
Old Aug 27, 2009, 03:41 PM
Did you get it on video?
USA, FL, Miramar Beach
Joined Nov 2005
6,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Stick 3D
That is suposed to mean? I didnt take them with a D-SLR.. I havnt signed mine out yet.. I have my 35mm SLR yashica FX-2 but just used my digital camera.. The brightness is to much and needs more contrast, once I get my DSLR it will be much better!

Don't count on the SLR to do the work for you.

Right now, your best friend will be the camera manual.

Find out what the camera can do.

Take lots of pictures of the same thing, at different settings.

You have the advantage of using a digital format. "Back in my day", we had to use film.

What I am getting at, is you can take all the pictures you want, see the results and it won't cost you a penny. When I was learning, each picture cost money to take (buying film) and to review (paying for processing).

There are several good books out there to help supplement your schooling.

I don't know what they teach in photo 101 these days. When I took it, much of it was spent in a darkroom.

Speaking of darkroom, chances are, you have the tools to do some corrections on your computer already. (See attached images)

Do not get offended when fellow photographers critique your images. Trust me, if they are shooting images you respect, they got there by having their early stuff criticized. You will always learn more from people telling you what they think you did wrong, than what they think you did right. You don't have to take all of their advice, but you should try to at least learn why they feel the way they do. So much of the hobby/art is subjective, there are few hard and fast rules.

In my opinion, there are two things you need to learn. One is the mechanics of the process of image capture, how does the camera work, how will it do what you want. The other is composition. You're telling a story with each image. What did you see that you're trying to show someone else?
Flying-Monkey is offline Find More Posts by Flying-Monkey
Last edited by Flying-Monkey; Aug 27, 2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 03:57 PM
Debary, Fl.
Joined Oct 2007
2,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying-Monkey
You're telling a story with each image. What did you see that you're trying to show someone else?
Interesting, reminds me of a photo I took. I was shooting lightning in front of my house. My home was the backdrop. When I took the film in to be developed I received a brightened house with a bright sky. I took the film back and had them redevelop them darker. The house faded to black with 3 huge bolts of lightning raining down behind the house. Very cool. I guess my point is that they didn't see what I meant for them to see....litterally.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 04:07 PM
Did you get it on video?
USA, FL, Miramar Beach
Joined Nov 2005
6,045 Posts
One of these days I will do a How to Take Vacation Photos (in a State Park) seminar for work.

(We do different educational "interpretives" that we then offer to the public.)

Everyone takes the same images. They want a picture of the beach, because when they were there, it left them with a feeling they wanted to capture and bring home.

When they get the pictures back, they're often disappointed.

The reason for this, is they have captured an image of a scene, that is often printed out on a very 2 dimensional 4"x6" sheet of paper.

What they didn't realize is that they were experiencing more than just the result of light reflecting off from objects. There is the heat, or cold, the feel of the wind, sounds that are so much in the background that they don't consciously notice them, but the scene is left empty without them. If it's the size of the scene that left you in awe, you can hardly expect something held in the palm of your hand to fully express that feeling.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 04:53 PM
Supra!!!!!!
Las Vegas Nv, USA
Joined Oct 2005
3,098 Posts
yeah, I got photo shop and mx fireworks for web design but it still will work! Its the 2n'd day of class and we haven't learned one thing! He just wanted us to take some pics to see our ideas in photography.. Anyways, some of the time will be spent in the dark room! But my teacher said we are assigned a project at the beginning of each month with a theme so that will take of most of the time.. Plus we have out of school projects that we are required to shoot
Speed Stick 3D is offline Find More Posts by Speed Stick 3D
Old Aug 27, 2009, 05:02 PM
Supra!!!!!!
Las Vegas Nv, USA
Joined Oct 2005
3,098 Posts
Heres another pic thats better.. I think
Last edited by Speed Stick 3D; Aug 27, 2009 at 05:16 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 05:22 PM
Did you get it on video?
USA, FL, Miramar Beach
Joined Nov 2005
6,045 Posts
Quote:
Anyways, some of the time will be spent in the dark room! But my teacher said we are assigned a project at the beginning of each month with a theme so that will take of most of the time.. Plus we have out of school projects that we are required to shoot

I would think that they could remove darkroom time from the curriculum.

I don't think too many people are shooting with film anymore.

It would be like teaching DOS in computer classes.

Is this a highschool or college course?

Don't expect to learn a whole lot in this first year's course, unless you're completely new to photography.

Get on the forums over at DP Review. Those guys helped me out a lot when I was first getting into portrait work, both studio, and outdoors.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 09:36 PM
Debary, Fl.
Joined Oct 2007
2,314 Posts
Quote:
I would think that they could remove darkroom time from the curriculum.

I don't think too many people are shooting with film anymore.

It would be like teaching DOS in computer classes.

Is this a highschool or college course?

Don't expect to learn a whole lot in this first year's course, unless you're completely new to photography.

Get on the forums over at DP Review. Those guys helped me out a lot when I was first getting into portrait work, both studio, and outdoors.
Really...Dark room time should be spent learning photo-shop.

Anyone shoot HDR? It's taking 3 images and overlapping them into one image. 3 consecutive shots, one under exposed, one normal, one over exposed. Look it up if you haven't. Makes for the most dynamic photos I've seen. As soon as I go DSLR....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_dynamic_range_imaging
Old Aug 27, 2009, 10:23 PM
United States, PA, Butler
Joined Jun 2006
1,003 Posts
Quote:
I used to do a bit of photography, including portrait work, wildlife, and some while diving.

Love this! I'd love to see it a bit larger, perhaps 800px or so. Just wish the shoreline was a touch more visible....

I believe they still require you to start with film in a photography class to put some work into it initially instead of having the ability to shoot 100 shots and say, "This one is pretty good..." It makes you think a lot more when you have to put the time into developing them rather than sort through 100 shots on the screen to pick out a good one.

Pudknocker, no I haven't done anything with HDR yet. I haven't found anything that would require HDR that I wanted to shoot. I do like HDR, but really hate the cartoony stuff that litters the photo forums.

Digital-Photography-School and The Photo Forum are 2 forums that I frequent.
mrodgers is offline Find More Posts by mrodgers
Old Aug 27, 2009, 10:33 PM
Did you get it on video?
USA, FL, Miramar Beach
Joined Nov 2005
6,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrodgers
Love this! I'd love to see it a bit larger, perhaps 800px or so. Just wish the shoreline was a touch more visible....

I am sure I have just that image... somewhere.

Either on a CD tucked away on a bookshelf, or in a box, or on one of my external hard drives.

I tend to be the "shoot a hundred, so one looks good" kind of photographer
Old Aug 27, 2009, 10:56 PM
Supra!!!!!!
Las Vegas Nv, USA
Joined Oct 2005
3,098 Posts
Its a high school class! Im a senior though! I had one more elective open because I passed other classes early so I just took photo I
Old Aug 27, 2009, 11:05 PM
Did you get it on video?
USA, FL, Miramar Beach
Joined Nov 2005
6,045 Posts
Quote:
Its a high school class! Im a senior though! I had one more elective open because I passed other classes early so I just took photo I

I was just curious. I took it as a college course. Didn't pursue it beyond the "101" level. Did the rest of my studying on my own. I spent a college tuition on books from Barnes and Nobles, Walden Books, and other places like that.

Oh, and lots and lots of money on regular, then slide film.

The guys at the photo lab knew me, and when I came in, they got out the trash can for me. I would just toss the slides I didn't like at first glance.

I was very happy when I bought my first DSLR.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 12:43 AM
'Cobra Fan - P-39 & P-63
Fort Collins, CO
Joined Aug 2004
323 Posts
Awesome thread! I too love photography...I'm a long time non-professional and got into digital with a cheap ($200) Canon in 1998. I took 2000 photos the first year I had it - much to my own surprise. All of those at 640 x 480 no less! (no more? ) At least they emailed easily....

On three recent trips to Costa Rica (2 weeks), New York City (1 week) & a Mexican Riviera Cruise (1 week) I took between 1200 - 1500 photos - per trip.

I've had a life long love of photos since my introduction in 8th grade photo class....here's a few fun ones - all taken with a Canon point-n-shoot. Have not got me a DSLR yet....but have shot pics through my binoculars, my camcorder wideangle lens and even my sunglasses - all with great results. I have mounted my cameras on my RC planes too, of course

I also agree with the notion that you should shoot a LOT - why not? It's damn near free!! Also - especially with large resolution cameras these days - use a tripod or monkey grip or steady yourself on a street sign or put it on the ground - avoids the nasty fuzzy pics. But sometimes - the fuzzy pics ARE very cool too!!
Rengine is offline Find More Posts by Rengine
Last edited by Rengine; Aug 28, 2009 at 12:58 AM.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 05:45 AM
central AZ
Joined May 2002
1,351 Posts
There are some NICE photos in here. I took a year and a half of photo class in college. Currently have two SLR's (Canon EOS Rebel G and Canon AE-1, if you can believe it). I'd love to be able to afford a D-SLR, though. Film is WAY expensive to use, especially when you're still trying to learn how to use all the manual "features" on an OLD SLR like the AE-1. I can dream, though, right? I'm not the best photographer out there (in fact, I'm pretty bad unless I have time to plan the shot out, LOL), but I always did my best work in the dark room with the many special effects you can do. B&W film is loads of fun to use, and it's always a blast to see how you can twist the photo to make it how you want (without using modern technology, LOL!).

And Flying Monkey, I'd LOVE to find water that clear here in AZ!!! Would open up a whole new world of diving. That water = VFR. AZ freshwater = IFR, LOL. If you stir up silt, then swim with your hand in front of you, it's almost like flying through clouds!

Gonna have to save up some pennies and get the camera's out again, just for giggles. I suppose getting 5-6 good shots from a 36 exposure roll of film would still be worth it, LOL.
KnifeEdge51 is online now Find More Posts by KnifeEdge51
Last edited by KnifeEdge51; Aug 28, 2009 at 05:51 AM.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 06:11 AM
Did you get it on video?
USA, FL, Miramar Beach
Joined Nov 2005
6,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnifeEdge51
Canon AE-1, if you can believe it).

And Flying Monkey, I'd LOVE to find water that clear here in AZ!!! Would open up a whole new world of diving. That water = VFR. AZ freshwater = IFR, LOL. If you stir up silt, then swim with your hand in front of you, it's almost like flying through clouds!

I started with an old AE-1

I learned to dive in Massachusetts. I feel your pain.