Old Jul 31, 2009, 09:28 AM
sbc
Singapore
Joined Jul 2005
62 Posts
Discussion
XPS module for Hitec Aurora 9?

Hi Jim,
On the left is the XPS module, on the right, the new Hitec 2.4Ghz for Aurora 9. As you can see, the new module has 10 pins.
The new Hitec module can be used on older radios (e.g. Optic 6), as 5 of the 10 pins are aligned properly. But the XPS module cannot be used on the Aurora 9, as the other 5 pins got in the way.

So, when are you making a new module for the Aurora 9? I cannot simply drill holes on the back of the casing because the PCB inside is in the way.

sbc is offline Find More Posts by sbc
Last edited by sbc; Sep 07, 2009 at 10:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2009, 10:34 PM
sbc
Singapore
Joined Jul 2005
62 Posts
It has been more than a month since I asked this question, yet I can't get a respond from XPS.

The Aurora 9 is officially on sale on 9th Oct here, although there were a few prelaunch sets sold last month.

I need the info to make a decision to stay with XPS or go with Hitec 2.4.
Old Sep 08, 2009, 01:17 AM
The reviewer
Tokoroa
Joined Mar 2004
3,827 Posts
Hitec's 2.4GHz system will be interesting.

It uses adaptive frequency-hopping but, from the information I've seen, only profiles the spectrum (so as to determine what parts of the band to use) at power-up. This isn't so clever -- since the noise-profile of the spectrum can (and often does) change dramatically over relatively short periods of time -- especially if you're flying with lots of folks on non-agile DSSS systems.

It does have the telemetry that XPS was supposed to deliver (low-receiver voltage, etc in realtime) but like all new systems, it would pay to wait until it's been tried and tested by more than a handful of sponsored pilots.

Remember that Hitec's record for faulty V1.0 products is far from pretty.
XJet is offline Find More Posts by XJet
Old Sep 08, 2009, 08:44 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,914 Posts
Sorry, I missed this. As soon as we get some modules to get the pinout information, we can make a new module.
JimDrew is online now Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2009, 12:09 AM
most exalted one
Canada, BC, Blind Bay
Joined Aug 2002
3,592 Posts
Not sure you can. I believe the Aurora only uses the digital (proprietary) signal pins. The other are for the older radios, so I believe the Aurora, though module based, is 2.4 proprietary.
IOW the PPM pins are not enabled on the Aurora.

I believe that is Hitec's description as of now.

Tell me I don't know what I'm talking about!
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Sep 09, 2009, 01:39 AM
Joined Feb 2007
126 Posts
Well,This is what it says on Hitec's website.
"The Aurora 9 is a “pure digital” 2.4GHz system offering immediate response yet it is also compatible with the Spectra PRO for PPM and PCM Operation."

It does use a different module than their earlier radios,though.The "Spectra PRO".
KB9STD is offline Find More Posts by KB9STD
Old Sep 09, 2009, 03:30 AM
most exalted one
Canada, BC, Blind Bay
Joined Aug 2002
3,592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB9STD
Well,This is what it says on Hitec's website.
"The Aurora 9 is a “pure digital” 2.4GHz system offering immediate response yet it is also compatible with the Spectra PRO for PPM and PCM Operation."

It does use a different module than their earlier radios,though.The "Spectra PRO".

Yes, the Spectra Pro, using the new digital comm, not the old analogue pins. It appears the "pro" will with digital input, put out the old PCM or PPM signals compatible with the old 72mhz receivers. It has been stated that the Aurora is not compatible with the old Spectra module, from what I remember.
It appears that we advance with 2.4 but then everyone goes back to the dark ages making sure all will be proprietary, including Hitec who were pos/neg shift and the height of compatibility. Being late(very late) and proprietary seems to be a complete change from their past, but perhaps no one has a choice anymore.
Last edited by 4*60; Sep 09, 2009 at 03:35 AM.
Old Sep 09, 2009, 08:02 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,914 Posts
Hitec told me both PPM and digital pins are there. The additional pins are the digital pins. Their older moduls are not compatible because they won't fit. Unless the data stream is heavily encrypted we should be able to use the digital pins.
JimDrew is online now Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2009, 03:26 PM
most exalted one
Canada, BC, Blind Bay
Joined Aug 2002
3,592 Posts
That would be good!
Old Sep 10, 2009, 03:03 PM
Joined Feb 2007
126 Posts
OH,I see.The older module won't fit,because of the wider connector(Just like the curent XPS module).That also prevents anyone from using a Futaba or Spectrum module(or XPS,Assan,etc).Makes complete sense(Doh!).
Old Sep 11, 2009, 12:34 AM
sbc
Singapore
Joined Jul 2005
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
Sorry, I missed this. As soon as we get some modules to get the pinout information, we can make a new module.
That would be very good news indeed!
Old Sep 15, 2009, 05:40 AM
Deutschland, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Geilenkirchen
Joined Aug 2007
772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbc
I need the info to make a decision to stay with XPS or go with Hitec 2.4.
Go with HiTec 2,4 GHz! Why you want to replace the latest technology (including working telemetry!) with this XPS-stuff? XPS is working, no question (at least the new version 3), but no one would replace his Porsche-engine by an engine from GM, by example?

The future of XPS is in the dark, because right now the biggest XPS-distributor, Graupner, changed over to Weatronic.

Udo
udogigahertz is offline Find More Posts by udogigahertz
Old Sep 15, 2009, 06:14 AM
The reviewer
Tokoroa
Joined Mar 2004
3,827 Posts
While I agree that I can't see why anyone would go with XPS module/receivers in conjunction with the Aurora 9 (preliminary reports on Hitec's AFHSS system are *very* good), I can also see that if someone already has a big investment in XPS receivers, they may wish to continue using them with their new Hitec radio.

I can't see that an Aurora version of XPS would be a big seller though -- although I'm sure Jim will tell us he's selling millions of them every day :-)
XJet is offline Find More Posts by XJet
Old Sep 15, 2009, 01:16 PM
Joined Feb 2007
126 Posts
"no one would replace his Porsche-engine by an engine from GM"

Well,I've never seen a Porsche engine run at the Indianapolis 500.I don't think i ever saw a Pontiac engine win.They certainly could qualify though!
Old Sep 15, 2009, 02:13 PM
most exalted one
Canada, BC, Blind Bay
Joined Aug 2002
3,592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by udogigahertz
Go with HiTec 2,4 GHz! Why you want to replace the latest technology (including working telemetry!) with this XPS-stuff? XPS is working, no question (at least the new version 3), but no one would replace his Porsche-engine by an engine from GM, by example?

The future of XPS is in the dark, because right now the biggest XPS-distributor, Graupner, changed over to Weatronic.

Udo
So you know this works! And trouble-free, no bugs, no glitches. You must have the first retail copy that was available then.
Always amazing to me how vapourware from some vendors, for years BTW, is OK but not from other vendors!