HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2009, 08:47 AM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,767 Posts
No prob guys the thread is on topic.

You guys are fine ,these are all setups and parts you are using for your Zephs.

Ck
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 25, 2009, 09:48 PM
I think my wheels fell off.
Perth
Joined Oct 2009
894 Posts
Hey Ck,

Save starting a new thread, just wanted to say thanks.

My Zeph arrived today, everything was as discribed, packaged with great care, and arrive in as good condition as it left.

Thanks mate, your service is the best.

George.
Thumb_number is offline Find More Posts by Thumb_number
Old Dec 03, 2009, 01:15 AM
THEY MOSTLY COME OUT AT NIGHT
Kaysville, Utah
Joined Jul 2005
1,253 Posts
what folding prop are you using on your wing Trappy?
chimaera is offline Find More Posts by chimaera
Old Dec 03, 2009, 01:43 AM
Sunrise, Florida
Joined Nov 2009
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trappy View Post
t_low: I get 17-20mins with my flying style every time. It usually involves a climb to ~1000-1500m and some fast flying followed by 10mins of just regular flying around. I could, if I conserved energy, get 30mins, but that's no fun. If you want to fly longer, get more batteries I have 3 sets of batteries that I go through usually ... which gives me around 1h of flights. After that I'm usually exhausted
Thanks Trappy, No problem with the batteries. I have more money in lipo's than I do in my retirement account. I was more concerned with actual flight duration. I fly fpv overwater for billfish tournament...Ooops Not tournament nooo I meant charter boats, and am always looking for a more efficient airframe. I don't actually enjoy it at all. Its a real test of sea legs and boring as hell! Nothing to see, and the 2-3m E gliders SUCK when trying to hit a dragnet. I would love to come screaming in at 60 and hit the net without worrying about cliping the bridge or tuna tower because I overshot or because the first mate can't understand what into the wind means. I actually built the AK-Models Lightning Dart with EPS core's and a Fiberglass Fuse but the Captain took one look at it and the 2 4200Mah 4s and said No F&^kin^ way, not on my boat. I hadn't even busted out the Scuba Tank's for the Pnumatic Launcher yet I'd planned on testing (note you can hand launch a 7.5lb 70" balsa/foam core wing but only with a 22' tuna tower, a 30 knot headwind and very few brain cells!) So back to the car for the trusty EZG and the Spectra.
t_low37 is offline Find More Posts by t_low37
Old Dec 03, 2009, 02:31 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
Aeronaut CAM 10x7 ... if you use the same motor and live near sea level go for 9x7. I almost burnt mine last year on vacation at the beach

LOL t_low ... careful, salt water and lipos don't mix. on the other hand ... if you crashed you could just wait a few minutes and the tuna would surface by themselves If level flight is your thing, you can get 40 minutes on the Zephyr I'm sure. I usually climb around 1000m and still get 15mins of flight. 2x 2500mAh will do the trick. If you don't glass her up, you'll have a nice floater.
trappy is offline Find More Posts by trappy
Old Dec 03, 2009, 08:53 AM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,767 Posts
Lol

Its funny you guys are talking about this , a buddy of mine owns a big sport charter fising Tuna boat too.
He asked me a few months back when we were fishing if I could build him a wing for scouting tuna.
I told him My new Zeph just might do the trick

Ck
Old Dec 03, 2009, 09:24 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
Man ... if he needs a pilot let me know ... that would be awesome!!!
Old Dec 03, 2009, 09:41 AM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,767 Posts
I know if I could find a perfect setup with the bats and gear somewhat sealed like a boat that would be awesome.

I just need to spend the time and develop a sealed pod that goes rite on the zeph.

Here is a vid of one of the boats .

http://www.insidesportfishing.com/media/intrepid1.htm

Quote:
Man ... if he needs a pilot let me know ... that would be awesome!!!
Last edited by klique; Dec 03, 2009 at 10:10 AM.
Old Dec 06, 2009, 06:11 PM
Perth
Joined Oct 2009
894 Posts
Hey Lads.

Been busy doing everything other than my Zeph build. I got it to about 95% ready for it's madien on the weekend. Just waiting for a replacement camera and googles from future which shipped two days ago.

The details are:
Hacker A30/12m 9x6
Daulsky 40amp ESC (smaller than the Hacker 55, hope it doesn't cost me a plane)
A pair of TangRC 2200Mha3s 25c
ETV3, osdpro (sorry Trappy), baro Alt/Airspeed, GPS.
1W 900Mhz Tx
CX-191 cam, or the new panasonic CX-131, whatever looks best, getting both
850Mha3s for cam and VTx
Using Oracle diversity and Headplay googles
36Mhz radio Tx / Rx modded to Trappy spec.
AUW minus camera (25-30gr) is 1.624Kg (57 oz)

The 9 x 6 is pushing 350Watts at full noise which is going to hurt the 12M so I better show some restraint!

Happy with this build given it's my fisrt using the 'Rite' type of covering method. She seems to be all square and straight in all the right places. I could have spent more time getting a better finish on the EEP before I covered it, but it's going to be good enough to fly well. (I hope)

Thanks to all you guy's for your advice, Ck for your excellent wing, and Trappy for your inspiration.

I let you guy's know how the madien goes.

Cheers, George.
Old Dec 06, 2009, 06:19 PM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
awesome build george ... I wish I could build like you! let us know how the maiden goes ... do you have a recorder for your FPV?
Old Dec 06, 2009, 07:29 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,767 Posts
Nice build George , you look like your a Ritewing build pro.

As you can see a little extra love goes a long way.

ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumb_number View Post
Hey Lads.

Been busy doing everything other than my Zeph build. I got it to about 95% ready for it's madien on the weekend. Just waiting for a replacement camera and googles from future which shipped two days ago.

The details are:
Hacker A30/12m 9x6
Daulsky 40amp ESC (smaller than the Hacker 55, hope it doesn't cost me a plane)
A pair of TangRC 2200Mha3s 25c
ETV3, osdpro (sorry Trappy), baro Alt/Airspeed, GPS.
1W 900Mhz Tx
CX-191 cam, or the new panasonic CX-131, whatever looks best, getting both
850Mha3s for cam and VTx
Using Oracle diversity and Headplay googles
36Mhz radio Tx / Rx modded to Trappy spec.
AUW minus camera (25-30gr) is 1.624Kg (57 oz)

The 9 x 6 is pushing 350Watts at full noise which is going to hurt the 12M so I better show some restraint!

Happy with this build given it's my fisrt using the 'Rite' type of covering method. She seems to be all square and straight in all the right places. I could have spent more time getting a better finish on the EEP before I covered it, but it's going to be good enough to fly well. (I hope)

Thanks to all you guy's for your advice, Ck for your excellent wing, and Trappy for your inspiration.

I let you guy's know how the madien goes.

Cheers, George.
Old Dec 06, 2009, 08:09 PM
Perth
Joined Oct 2009
894 Posts
Quote:
awesome build george ... I wish I could build like you! let us know how the maiden goes ... do you have a recorder for your FPV?
Yeah Trappy, I have a solid state DVR. I'm yet to test it with this setup. It's just a DVR with an AV input. It was cheap but will continue to record a screen of static and not go to a blue screen if the input drops off, which is hard to find in the DVR's nowdays.

Thanks guy's for your comments, hope it fly's as good as it looks.

I'll make 'm Trapp if you fly them mate, I saw that recovery in your latest video!!!! Sweet as!!

Cheers.
Last edited by Thumb_number; Dec 06, 2009 at 09:53 PM. Reason: spell check
Old Dec 06, 2009, 08:13 PM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
Quote:
Yeah Trappy, I have a solid state DVR. I'm yet to test it with this setup. It's just a DVR with an AV input. It was cheap but will continue to record a screen of static and not go to a blue screen if the input drops off, which is hard to find in the DVR's nowdays.
Great! Mine can take a reasonable amount of static ... but murphy's law dictates that many cool scenes follow a more-than-reasonable amount of static and therefore are not recorded What build/model/manufacturer is yours?

Quote:
I'll make 'm Trapp if you fly them mate, I saw that revovery in your latest video!!!! Sweet as!!
haha. deal!

Here's that video btw, for the others following this thread. The fun is at the end
http://www.vimeo.com/8021328
Old Dec 06, 2009, 09:51 PM
Perth
Joined Oct 2009
894 Posts
It's one of these Trappy:

http://www.smallworld-us.com/aiptek-...44_p31024.html

Aiptek pocketDV m2 digital video camera.

It's completely useless as a DV camera, but it has AV in, records straight to HC-SD cards without compression, and it's cheap, has it's own power for up to two hours of recording, it takes 2 x 2Gb SD cards.

It's done the job when I first did some test with the OSDpro but since my DX201 got pinched I haven't had a camera to test with.

George.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 02:18 AM
Perth
Joined Oct 2009
894 Posts
First Zeph flights.

Well, it took a while, I’m not a big fan of silly season.

I was able to do some test flight’s with the Zeph, when I say ‘some test flights’, I got to do just that, some test’s. I’m still waiting for a replacement ‘flight’ camera to arrive, but I just couldn’t wait any longer, so I went to the local electronics shop and bought a cheap and nasty ‘home surveillance’ camera to butcher and stick on the plane just to get some air time. What I found out too late, was it was one of the one’s that use’s an IR torch to see at night so it doesn’t have an IR filter….GRRRRR.

Anyway, it was nice just to get to fly the Zeph. It’s my first powered wing (mainly fly slope) and at 1.7kg for a 54” wing I was a bit unsure. WOW! This thing rocks. A couple of trim clicks, a bit more expo and that was it. Just cruze around on next to no throttle, very predictable and absolutely no surprises. Motor off and you’d have no idea this thing weighs 1.7kg, just magic. But I don’t need to tell you guy’s this, most of you already know Ck builds and awesome FPV platform, and he really knows his s*%t.

So, after banging around the sky for 10mins, I figured I’d go take a look at the screen (still waiting for new goggles as well). OH POO! Check the first video. Not good, I’d never seen that type of fault, really used to noise and bad reception but not this. I played for a bit then landed to see what was going on. Turned out to just be a dickey power lead to the camera, one I chucked together in 2mins the night before, it worked for all the ground test’s but the first chuck it came loose.

http://www.vimeo.com/8306213

I chewed up 3300 mAH in the first flight, so after I got the camera going again it didn’t have juice left to do much except have a putt around, more ‘system checks’, that’s the second video. Hardly worth posting I know, but I have to do something, I’m getting really bored sitting around waiting for stuff to arrive.

http://www.vimeo.com/8306225

System check results = Lots. Turn white level down on OSD, stop flying over my head, get better Rx antennas………..the list goes on.

Things that need doing to the Zeph = Zero. It is an awesome wing that was born to do FPV. I reckon you could strap a DLSR to this thing and it would still fly!!!!

God I’m bored…………………………come on cameras……………….goggles……………….other stuff…………

Merry Christmas all. I will get some better stuff up after the break.

George