HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2009, 10:50 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,766 Posts
Discussion
Ritewing Zephyr FPV AP UAV wing

Hey guys here is a few pix ,I just designed a wing specificly for UAV FPV and AP in mind.It will also be a slow fun floater sport wing if thats what your after too.

It has nice semi sym lifting foil with a nice wide root chord and tip chord for good lift stability and stable flight charicteristics ,wheather you are cruizin fast or slow it will have a verry nice speed envelope .

Tip chord is 8'' without elevons 10'' with
The center chord is 15'' without elevons.17 with.
Appx 54'' ws between the winglets and 32'' of LE on ea wing half.

It will have nice 2'' balsa aileron stock and extended winglets,it will have its root spars stabbed for internal tube spars.
It will have spars in the kit for some surface wing spars.
The Ritewing cnc plate will come with the kit,I am also thinking of bringing in the u outrunner mount too so you can mount your outrunner rite to the ritewing mount .
It also will have long oversized 4 mm coro winglets for the ultimately stable slow flight.

CK
klique is offline Find More Posts by klique
Last edited by klique; Aug 20, 2009 at 04:07 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2009, 04:14 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Very nice, how much is it?
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Aug 01, 2009, 09:00 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,766 Posts
Here is a vid of one of my non powered 50'' slope wings to give you an idea of the performance of my designs.

The wing is unbeliveably stable in the winds on the slope.
These slope aerobatics are awesome.

Freestyle Slope Flying, Merriam Crater, 04-04-09 (4 min 34 sec)
Old Aug 01, 2009, 09:24 PM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
WOW, that was amazing.
Old Aug 02, 2009, 04:27 AM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
klique, I'm simply amazed at the quality of your wings. 60" is perfect. If anyone is looking for the perfect FPV plane, I will recommend this in future. EZ*? Yeah right ... this is so much easier to fly, it's bigger (more stable) and you can upgrade the motor and battery to get a really versatile and almost acrobatic plane.

I would really love to give this a try ... I'm looking at my Maxi Swift in disgust now How much is it, where can we buy it?
trappy is offline Find More Posts by trappy
Old Aug 02, 2009, 04:45 AM
julius
Grenoble france
Joined Jul 2005
305 Posts
Kilque,
Very good idear to developp special Wing for FPV.

This wing will be probably my next plane.

In the next patch of the Range video OSD, the flying wing is include in autopilot ... so it will be fun.

Please post lot of picture of your monting and FPV installation

Julien
sigma_fr is offline Find More Posts by sigma_fr
Old Aug 02, 2009, 12:20 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,766 Posts
Hey guys at this time I cut a small batch,the intro price will match the Maxi suggested USA retail of 120.00$ plus shipping,I will ship international if you need.
PM me if interested.

Fyi I just gave the span a measurement and it has appx 34'' LE on ea wing panel,28'' on the TE of ea wing pannel .
There is more than 60'' inches of LE ,but with the angle of sweep the WS is appx 57'' from winglet to winglet
My span of cut for ea wing is over 34'' on the cutting table ,The wing tips are swept back so it decreses the WS a tad .

Tip chord is 8'' without elevons 10'' with ,and the tip center chord is 15'' without elevons.
The wing is appx 2'' thick at is thickest point of the foil.

The wing itself is a little smaller in size than the maxi swift, it will give better flight performance on less power.
It is larger than my other 60''s ,I wanted somthing with better performance without it being so huge and fat like the maxi .
It will be a littel more sporty with great capabilities.

For some versitilty It has a cnc L motor mount for outrunners that mounts up to my custom cnc plate ,or you can mount a geared 28 mm motor on my plate,rather than a plastic non adjustble mount.

The elevons are 2'' aileron stock balsa rather than flimsy foam, plus some nice oversized symetrical 4 mm coroplast winglets for better tracking and performance.

It will also have 2 internal spars and 2 that you can inbed where you want under the wing to clear your gear for nice rigidity.

Ck
Last edited by klique; Aug 02, 2009 at 12:27 PM.
Old Aug 04, 2009, 05:00 AM
Registered DSer
Australia, VIC, Hadfield
Joined Mar 2003
2,771 Posts
Great Idea!

I would (and maybe still will) get one, but I am just finishing of an FPV Windrider Bee2. The trick is to keep it under 600 grams to maintain a reasonably slow speed.

What are your shipping rates to Melbourne, Australia?
Kahnx is online now Find More Posts by Kahnx
Old Aug 04, 2009, 05:39 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Is this wing made of the same foam as the Maxi, mine is damn close to indestructible. I lost a servo inflight and it hit a wire and crashed on the pavement and was fine.
Old Aug 07, 2009, 12:22 AM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,766 Posts
I will pay 1/2 the shipping to you if you want to AUS ,this new wing has alot of surface area compared to the bevo,and will slow down nicely .
The airfoil will also fly real nice in winds and higher speeds if desired.
The wingloading would not be an issue .

Ck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahnx
Great Idea!

I would (and maybe still will) get one, but I am just finishing of an FPV Windrider Bee2. The trick is to keep it under 600 grams to maintain a reasonably slow speed.

What are your shipping rates to Melbourne, Australia?
Old Aug 07, 2009, 12:23 AM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,766 Posts
Yes it is made of the 1.5 lb epp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarro
Is this wing made of the same foam as the Maxi, mine is damn close to indestructible. I lost a servo inflight and it hit a wire and crashed on the pavement and was fine.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 06:58 PM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
klique, can't wait for the wing to arrive. What is the "thickness" of the wing? My dad is in HongKong right now, I'm wondering if I should order some new LiPos. Also, what kind of power system do you recommend?

Edit: just saw thickness is 2", so I'll be fine with my 3S 2200mAh. What's the target AUW I should be aiming for? Is 1.4kg (~3lb) too much?
Last edited by trappy; Aug 10, 2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 07:07 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,766 Posts
Hi Trappy,there so many motor now that is a hard question to even ask.

I have ben thinking about one of these on 4s and 7/5 e contra rotating setup.

It will give killer thrust , not torque issues ,plus it should be verry efficient.
I know they are made in europe so they should be avail closer to you.

This is way over kill but thats how I roll.
Watch the second vid on the page with the link.
I am shure there are some ultra cheap motors that would work great.

Ck
http://www.visionhobbies.com/1637131.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by trappy
klique, can't wait for the wing to arrive. What is the "thickness" of the wing? My dad is in HongKong right now, I'm wondering if I should order some new LiPos. Also, what kind of power system do you recommend?
Old Aug 10, 2009, 07:14 PM
Suspended Account
Austria
Joined Feb 2007
6,411 Posts
I've got this one here lying around. Do you suggest a better KV motor?
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...unner_(Eq:2814)

PS: that movie was amazing. I'm already shelling out another 100 EUR for a receiver, though, and just bought a 1000 EUR glider ... not in the mood for purchasing some expensive motors right now
Last edited by trappy; Aug 10, 2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 08:00 PM
Mum is the word!
Joined Jun 2003
6,766 Posts
I think you motor will work great,lemme know how it does.
The wings are rite at 2'' thick at its fattest section.

I am building one of these for a fun floater rite now,I will snap some pix of the build for you.

ck