HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2009, 03:55 PM
Joined Jul 2009
3 Posts
Discussion
KX 171 Vechicle Hook Up HELP Plse!!

Hi guys, this may be a funny request but i need alittle help with this.
I have a KX 171 camera and the standard connection it is sold with for power / video.
I want to hook it to a Garmin GPS that supports video to run in my car as a right hand lane checker.
Its a pet project ...

Anyway, I'm terrible with electronics and need some help here.

Can someone suggest solution - what i will need from the cam. / 12v vechicle power etc.

Thanks tons.

Best regards
Nick
HeadShot is offline Find More Posts by HeadShot
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2009, 10:45 AM
Joined Jul 2009
3 Posts
No body have any clues on this??? what set up do you use to test your camera before flight???
Maybe this camera is bad??
I can power it up but no picture???

Anyone want to suggest anything ???
Old Jul 31, 2009, 11:14 AM
United States, IA, Mason City
Joined Oct 2008
292 Posts
The power from your car battery will work. However, put a filter on it, or you will have a lot of problems.

For testing in house you can either use a 12v power supply, or a 3s LiPo battery.

I usually test my cameras by connecting them directly to the video input on my TV. Either the picture shows up or it doesn't :P

So, you need:

1. Display that takes composite input, using the RCA connector assuming you are using the standard cable that comes with the KX171.
2. 12v DC power supply. Can use a 3s LiPo and directly connect it to the camera. The default KX171 cable, everywhere I have seen it sold, comes with a 2.1mm DC connector, center pin positive.
3. The KX171 camera
Acorns is offline Find More Posts by Acorns
Old Jul 31, 2009, 11:59 AM
It's in-oz, not in/oz!
United States, GA, Marietta
Joined Mar 2002
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadShot
I want to hook it to a Garmin GPS that supports video to run in my car as a right hand lane checker.
Which Garmin has this capability?

tom
tomp is offline Find More Posts by tomp
Old Jul 31, 2009, 12:30 PM
Joined Jul 2009
3 Posts
Thanks a bunch Acorns, i really appreciate the help on this. I didn't know where else to look.
A reverse camera was going to be to big and the field of view would have been all wrong.

So i will recheck my cables, and go from there. Doesn't seem to bad. Any advise on where to look for cables, i tried Frys and Radio Shack - thought i had the right stuff but no luck with a picture so i'll make sure i get a 2.1mm connector. Theres an RC place near by i'll look there today.

As far as the Garmin goes.. Garmin® nüvi® 5000 GPS Receiver
I am running 2 of these units, One hooked up to a FLIR night driving camera, the other to the KX171 for the right lane... Priced around $250 right now from Radio Shack on line - there having a sale

Thats it.
Thanks again for the assist. hopefully i can get this together.
Best Regards.
n
Old Jul 31, 2009, 01:40 PM
United States, IA, Mason City
Joined Oct 2008
292 Posts
Locally, I can't find anything. Frys, Radio shack, target/walmart/kmart/etc don't carry this kind of thing. A local hobby shop will, or if you are like me and the closest shop is two hours away, you can order online.

(2.1mm that will plug into the red power connector on the KX171's cord. You can solder it to a 3S lipo, or a wire running from your car system)
http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/product.p...6&cat=0&page=2

(Car style connector to 2.1mm. Not filtered, probably not good for long time use)
http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/product.p...5&cat=0&page=2

(For testing the camera inside, using a standard US-style plug. They sell a european one too)
http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/product.p...5&cat=0&page=2

DPCAV always has good service, but you can but most of this stuff from any online hobby vendor, especially ones that specialize in FPV.
Acorns is offline Find More Posts by Acorns