SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 30, 2009, 12:51 AM
Joined Apr 2006
13 Posts
Build Log
New Project: Quadcopter - first hover, then OSD, FPV, UAV... the works...

(this message was posted at DIYDrone.com)
I've never introduced myself so I'll take the time now (feel free to skip this paragraph). I have a business background but I am a technology enthusiast. Recently my interest about the business and strategics/social aspects of Open Source (especially Open Hardware) has really grown. In order to better understand the OS movement (and satisfy my geek alterego) I have been tinkering with Arduino, learning some programming languages, etc. And then I learned about DIY Drones....

Once upon a time I flew RC Planes (that was during 1995 and 1996, I believe). I've been wanting to restart the hobby for quite some time, but now I believe I have what it takes ($). Unfortunately I live in a city that is not very RC-plane-friendly and I don't have a park or something nearby. For that reason I've been considering a Quadcopter project (for the VTOL and stability characteristics). This project should not only satisfy my flying needs, but also teach me about electronics, programming, etc.

I am thinking about using a platform based on Arduino since I have learned some programming on it. Currently I am leaning towards the AeroQuad.

In the future (if the thing take-offs) I plan on installing video gear for FPV. Followed by that I plan on programming (or if I get lazy I'll just buy a kit) some OSD. And than I should go into the UAV territory.

I have many doubts about the project... here are some that maybe someone can help clarify:

* Is the AeroQuad the best choice for what I need now and plan on installing in the future?
* How much thrust do I need for something like this?
* Does the AeroQuad support X configuration (I've only seen + configuration), and is that a hard thing to change?
* Is a Quadcopter a good platform for UAVs?
* Can a Quadcopter develop good forward speed? I imagine it to be slower than a heli. I haven't seen any movies of people flying quad's on long distances (which is something I'd like to do).

Based on my needs I believe this will be a VERY long (and probably expensive) project. I do want to discover the best COSTxBENEFIT solutions, of course.

The "foward speed" thing is a factor that will probably take me into a next step that will be to transform the Quadcopter into a mix of Quad/V-22 Osprey/Airplane (that's why I have the question about the X configuration). Does anyone know a project like this?

Sorry about the long post, I hope someone has the patience to read it.
MARTINELLI is offline Find More Posts by MARTINELLI
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2009, 03:30 AM
Joined Aug 2007
4,145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINELLI
...Is the AeroQuad the best choice for what I need now and plan on installing in the future?
* How much thrust do I need for something like this?
* Does the AeroQuad support X configuration (I've only seen + configuration), and is that a hard thing to change?
* Is a Quadcopter a good platform for UAVs?
* Can a Quadcopter develop good forward speed? I imagine it to be slower than a heli. I haven't seen any movies of people flying quad's on long distances (which is something I'd like to do).

The "foward speed" thing is a factor that will probably take me into a next step that will be to transform the Quadcopter into a mix of Quad/V-22 Osprey/Airplane (that's why I have the question about the X configuration). Does anyone know a project like this?
The AeroQuad is the only Arduino based quad I am aware of that is actively supported and available to the public.

Sounds like you plan on installing what the rest of us eventually plan to install at some point.

I haven't measured but we are getting about 600 grams of thrust per motor using the AeroQuads recommended motors and props and such and about a 10 to 15 minute flight time depending on how much stuff such as cameras, you have on your AeroQuad.

It supports X config. I haven't tried it yet but I don't think it requires you to mount your sensors differently. You just need to adjust your PID setting a little.

Not sure if a Quad is a good platform for a UAV. The short flight time is probably the biggest issue. I've seen some quads advertised that have 30 minute flight times or more but I can only speak about the AeroQuad which flys as long as any other RC quad I have seen.

I guess quads can develope good forward speed. They can go faster than I like to fly them I don't see why they couldn't sustain forward flight as long as the battery lasts. With out wings or some sort of lifting surface your flight times will be shorter than avarage if you maintain forward flight since your using more juice than it takes to maintain a hover.

I am currently using the AeroQuad to build a QTD or (Quad/V-22 Osprey) mix airplane. The AeroQuads developer is very active in the thread here.

Quote:
...The reason I asked is because a tilt-rotor would work best in the X-config...
Sound good to me. That's why the X-config was requested.

Quote:
...a tilt-rotor may achieve about 80% of the battery performance of a normal e-plane,...
Perhaps. As long as your not going for a scale QTD then it might be possible. You have to compare your efficiency to an airplane with four motors of course. I'm assuming an airplane with four motors will be less efficient than a dual or single motor/prop plane.

Quote:
...I think we could create an Open-source group to organize an effort for the development of such platform. What do you think?...
The existing Quaduino-Part2 thread kind of does this already for me but your's could be more appropriate for discussing certain aspects. I'll check it out.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by RCvertt; Jul 31, 2009 at 05:44 AM.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 01:28 AM
Joined Apr 2006
13 Posts
RCvertt, good to hear that other people are envisioning the same root as I am.

As I found out, Aeroquad does support X-Configuration. The reason I asked is because a tilt-rotor would work best in the X-config than in the +-config, sinse you could place the wings and elevator between the motors.

You got the point that I was imagining (and maybe we are wrong), I believe that a tilt-rotor can have better battery performance (in "plane-mode") since the wing generates much of the lift needed to support the platform. I feel (and I may be terrible wrong here) that a tilt-rotor may achieve about 80% of the battery performance of a normal e-plane, taking into account that it will use vertical take-off and landing only in "heli-mode".

I think we could create an Open-source group to organize an effort for the development of such platform. What do you think?

I've writen about this project at DIYDrones, maybe you (and others) would like to join us. I don't know if DIYDrones is the best ambient for such development (maybe a social network of it's own would be best), but we can gather some people during the next week and think about the best route.

We are discussing the subject at http://diydrones.com/forum/topics/ti...quadcopter-for

I hope you'll join us.
Old Jul 31, 2009, 08:54 PM
Joined Apr 2006
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCvertt
I am currently using the AeroQuad to build a QTD or (Quad/V-22 Osprey) mix airplane.
I'm very curious to ee your work. Do you have any pictures? A blog or something?

Unfortunatelly I don't along very well with forums... I see these huge discussion topics and they are very hard to explore for someone who enters them after a lot has been discussed. There is too much information and it's not exactly organized.

Or maybe I don't know how to use this platform...
Old Aug 01, 2009, 03:44 AM
Quad Crash Test Pilot
Joined Oct 2007
517 Posts
Hey Martinelli, stumbled onto your thread, sounds cool! Looks like exciting times for quads, I see lots of big ones, small ones and everything in between being built. I agree with you on finding info in a forum. Fortunately RCvertt is taking care of us in the Quaduino thread by updating the first post. OMM does the same thing in his Kquad thread

@RCvertt, I was just thinking about your quad-tilt-duino you are going to build. Just like what you guys said, I realize that you can have longer flights times when in "airplane" mode. Also, if for some reason we get a motor failure, their might be more of an opportunity to glide back down for a safe landing.

Looking forward to seeing how your project turns out!
Mikro is offline Find More Posts by Mikro
Old Aug 02, 2009, 01:48 PM
Joined Apr 2006
13 Posts
@Mikro very cool to see you here! You've done an awesome job with Aeroquad... really impressive! I'm really excited about this QTR (quad-tilt-rotor) project, I hope we can get as many collaborators as we can.
What about the platform, do you think it would be best to use a forum, a social network, Google Code maybe?
Yesterday I was thinking about Google Pages... a wiki of some sorts...