HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 29, 2009, 10:26 PM
Joined Jan 2009
70 Posts
Build Log
rcFoamFighters (94MPH) SkyFighter v2 Fast Electric Scratch Build

Hey guys this is Frank from rcFoamFighters I have decided to start a build thread for the SkyFighter v2. This thread is more for all of you who decide to build this plane. I will post all the basic stuff needed to do the build and then leave it open to anyone who wants to discuss and share their build experiences. Please feel free to post any pictures, video or questions related to this build. I will add more to this thread as time permits. For now please check out the videos, links and pictures listed below.

Quick build and first test flights:
rcFoamFighters Sky Fighter ver2 (Fast RC Plane) (9 min 6 sec)

Plane Dialed in and First Radar Speed Clocks (94mph) with 2212/6 suppo brushless motor,
30amp Suppo brushless ESC, APC 6" x 4" Prop and Rhino 1350 30c 3s1p LiPo Battery
SkyFighter v2 Test Flights & 94MPH Radar Speed Clocks (7 min 21 sec)

Versatility Testing with 2 cell setup and slow flyer prop more Radar Speed Clocks with 3 cell setup and APC 5.5" x 5.5" prop
Includes High Speed Crash and Damage assessment.
SkyFighter v2 Versatility testing and Crash (8 min 44 sec)

rcFoamFighters FREE TEMPLATES & PLANS DOWNLOAD Link:
http://rcfoamfighters.com/blog/?cat=11

Below are pictures of the SkyFighter v2 I built without any PDF templates or plans. Dimensions were taken from this plane and given to my brother Paul to draw them up in AutoCAD and then convert them into a tiled PDF template.
rcFoamFighters is offline Find More Posts by rcFoamFighters
Last edited by rcFoamFighters; Aug 02, 2009 at 12:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2009, 02:10 PM
Joined Jan 2009
70 Posts
SkyFighter v2 Parts list

SkyFighter v2 Parts list

Here is a list of the parts used to build the SkyFighter v2

(1) Sheet of 1.9 weight EPP 36" X 24" X 15mm (Fuselage/wing)
(1) Strip of Balsa wood 36" x 3" X 1/8" (for elevons)
(1) Stick of Basswood 3/8" x 3/8" X 24" (can use carbon fiber spar)
(1) Sheet of white foam board (for rear stabilizers)
(1 roll) 6" wide Henrys style fiberglass weave
(1 can) 3M 90 High Strength spray adhesive
(1 roll) 3M Scotch cross weave strapping tape
(1 roll) Black sealing tape (packing tape)
(1 roll) Clear sealing tape (packing tape)
(1) Inline plastic stick 2 piece motor mount
(1) SIG Brand 7" plastic canopy Part# SIGWC807 (must cut to fit)
(1 pair) Small nylon control horns
(1 pair) 2-56 threaded control rods .076 diameter with clevis connectors
(1 pair) Brass E/Z connectors (fits .076 control rods)

Below are some links to where some of these parts can be found if your local hobby shop does not carry them.

Link to RCSkyFlyers EPP Foam and Carbon Fiber:
http://www.rcskyflyer.com/RCSkyFlyer.html

Link to Best Materials Henrys style 10x20 mesh Fiberglass weave:
http://www.bestmaterials.com/SearchR...categoryid=791

Link to Tape Brothers Colored Sealing Tape:
http://www.tapebrothers.com/Colored...Tapes-s/218.htm

Link to HobbyCity Inline plastic stick motor mount:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...m_(Small_base)
Old Aug 01, 2009, 02:58 PM
Joined Jan 2009
70 Posts
SkyFighter v2 Equipment list

SkyFighter v2 Equipment list

Here is a list of the equipment used on the SkyFighter v2

(1) Suppo 2212/6 Matched Brushless Motor & 30amp ESC combo
Includes motor/ESC/Prop adaptor/bullet connectors/and x motor mount (not used)

(1) Rhino 1350mAh 30c 3s1p LiPo Battery

(2) Hitec M82 metal geared servos

(1 pack) Du-Bro Heavy duty servo arms

I used my DX6i with an AR6100e receiver (not recommended) or you may have range issues as I did in the 3rd video in the first post above. Recommend using a full range Receiver. At these speeds it's easy to fly out of range with a parkflyer receiver.

Here are the links to the Battery and matched Brushless combo:

Link to Rhino 1350mAh 30c 3s1p LiPo Battery:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...0C_Lipoly_Pack

Please Bookmark the link below to our affiliate RC Hot Deals if you would like to help support rcFoamFighters future giveaways and projects. Once you enter the site you will have to select the correct motor combo from the drop down menu at the top of the page. They have many other combos so be sure to select the 2212/6 combo which is the 2200kv one for $29.99.

Link to RC Hot Deals 2212/6 Brushless motor/esc/prop adaptor combo:
http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink...Ehv+index.html
Old Aug 08, 2009, 06:31 AM
Australia, NSW, Plumpton
Joined Jan 2008
400 Posts
may i know what is the weight of plan?
aqkhana2002 is offline Find More Posts by aqkhana2002
Old Aug 08, 2009, 09:17 AM
Joined Jan 2009
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aqkhana2002
may i know what is the weight of plan?

The SkyFighter v2 weighs 23.7oz (672g) in both 2 cell and 3 cell LiPo setups. To get the CG correct a little nose weight was added. With 1350mAh 3 cells 1.1oz (31g) is added. With 2200 mAh 2 cells .5oz (14g) is added.
Old Aug 08, 2009, 09:43 AM
Joined Jan 2009
70 Posts
Watt Meter readings

The SkyFighter's extra weight is due to the double layer of fiberglass weave which is the planes armor and makes it bulletproof during a crash as seen in the video above. It doesn't seem to mind the weight and flies well both slow and fast. I do prefer to fly it with high C rated batteries. Here are some watt meter readings.

Zippy 2200mAh 25c 2s1p LiPo and 7 x 3.8 slowflyer prop:
176watts @ 23.29amps

Rhino 1350mAh 30c 3s1p LiPo and 6 x 4 prop:
290watts@25.40amps
Old Aug 09, 2009, 10:03 PM
Australia, NSW, Plumpton
Joined Jan 2008
400 Posts
1st of all thank you for good plan.

OK, HERE IS my build still in process, EPP form, i am 90% sure this is not available in sydney , if any one know let me know.

we do have depron form in 6mm 3mm and 2mm

cost of 6mm Sheet is about 18$ , that amount is very big for me because i am not a good pilot, 90% crashes on 1st attempt.

so here is the solution i have got. visited my area and got some packing forms... lol not even i am sure what made of it...

hopefully today when i go home after work will finish this cute.... plan
Last edited by aqkhana2002; Aug 10, 2009 at 11:12 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 05:47 AM
Joined Jan 2009
70 Posts
EPP foam

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqkhana2002
1st of all thank you for good plan.

OK, HERE IS my build still in process, EPP form, i am 90% sure in sydney this is not available , if any one know let me know.

we do have depron form in 6mm 3mm and 2mm

cost of 6mm Sheet is about 18$ , that amount is very big for me because i am not as good pilot 90% crash on 1st attempt.

so here is the solution i have got. visited my area and got some packing forms... lol not even i am sure what made of it...

hopefully today when i go home after work will finish this cute.... plan

aqkhana2002,

Your build is looking good! Please keep us informed on how it goes. This plane should fly fine made out of other types of foam like depron, blue core, and even packaging foams as long as the CG is correct. It just won't be as crash proof as EPP that's all. EPP is different from all these other foams in that it's very flexible and spongy. This is what helps it to absorb a crash and still survive. Covering EPP with a light fiberglass weave will make it very much indestructible. It's the only way I know to build a plane that can survive a crash at 80mph+. If you crash as much as I do you may want to take a look at rcskyflyer.com website they do ship internationally.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 05:57 AM
Joined Jan 2009
70 Posts
August 2009 SkyFighter v2 Basic kit Free Giveaway

Just wanted to let everyone know that at the end of August rcFoamFighters will be giving away one free basic SkyFighter v2 kit. more info in the video below and on our Blog: rcfoamfighters.com/blog/

August 2009 Free Giveaway
Old Aug 10, 2009, 04:03 PM
LaSalle, Illinois
Joined Sep 2007
476 Posts
Looks pretty good Frank! Thanks for posting. I really like the thought of running it on 2 cell, slows it down a little for those of us not used to such fast speeds. How does it handle on 2 cells? Still fairly easy to keep it in the air?

Thanks, Sterling
yardboz1 is offline Find More Posts by yardboz1
Old Aug 10, 2009, 05:40 PM
Joined Jan 2009
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardboz1
Looks pretty good Frank! Thanks for posting. I really like the thought of running it on 2 cell, slows it down a little for those of us not used to such fast speeds. How does it handle on 2 cells? Still fairly easy to keep it in the air?

Thanks, Sterling

Sterling,

I love the way this plane flies with a 2 cell. It's very relaxing and actually enjoyable. I was quite surprised at how well it handles the lower speeds. It will still stall if you get it going too slow, but you can feel it coming on and it still has plenty of power to get back out of it. I usually like to swap between the 3 cell and 2 cell setups after each flight just to help calm the nerves, lol!

The speed with the 3 cell is a crazy adrenaline rush, but it's addictive!! If you're only going to fly with the 2 cell set up you could lighten the plane a little by only putting a single layer of the fiberglass weave on it. It should still be able to survive any crashes at those speeds.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 06:53 PM
LaSalle, Illinois
Joined Sep 2007
476 Posts
Thanks for the response Frank. It will be 3 cell, but like the idea of being able to use 2 cell also. I've mainly done "Low and Slow" up to this point, but I have done a couple of mid wing pusher props. Nothing anywhere near this speed (probably 50mph max) but I can see where this would be loads of fun. Everything I had seen before was a fairly large amount of money to get in the air (relatively speaking) so I was surprised to see your equipment list. Certainly is well within the budget my wife allows me! Only thing I need anyway is the Suppo motor. I've got a couple of 3s1550mah lipos which should be fine and managed to save some 9mm epp for a rainy day. I think that day may have arrived.

Thanks again
Sterling
yardboz1 is offline Find More Posts by yardboz1
Old Aug 10, 2009, 08:53 PM
Joined Jan 2009
70 Posts
Sterling,

Cool! Sounds like you might build the plane. If you do please keep us informed on how the build goes. Would love to see any pictures or video posted here. The batteries you have should be fine. They are a little bigger than the ones I used but shouldn't be a weight problem because I had to add a little more than 1oz in nose weight to get the CG right. You may see a difference in speed depending on the C rating of your batteries.

Both my brother Paul and I have found that it can make such a big difference in speed that we won't buy any new batteries unless they are 30c or higher. HobbyCity just came out with some new 40c batteries so we ordered some and will be trying them out soon. As for the Suppo motor, these matched combos are hard to beat at just under $30 for the Motor/ESC/Prop Adaptor/ X style motor mount/and bullet connetors. And shipping's only $5. We have used this combo on a lot of our planes and have clocked speeds ranging from 72mph to 97mph on 30c 3 cells.
Old Aug 11, 2009, 11:04 PM
Australia, NSW, Plumpton
Joined Jan 2008
400 Posts
not yet finish but here is more pic, i am not using bottom fuselage.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 03:49 AM
Joined Jan 2009
70 Posts
aqkhana2002

Wow! Your plane is looking great! Thanks for posting the pictures. Looks like you will be getting it in the air soon. looking forward to seeing it finished and flying.