HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 29, 2009, 09:03 PM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,835 Posts
Discussion
Yellow F16

Well I got the yellow F16! What a nice looking plane. I think this is the one Doug Bateman sold a while back. I have installed my EVF5612 and the 12S 40C thunder powers. She comes in at 16 pounds a little heavy but installed thrust is at 11 pounds static so in the air she should move very well. When this kit was built they intalled no rudder servo and no rudder linkages. I tried to maiden it last week and it went very bad She got up to rotation speed then the cross wind pulled it into the tall grass beside the runway. Well you would think that would be no big deal but it ended up cartwheeling and tearing the nose off. I have repaired it now.
gunradd is offline Find More Posts by gunradd
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2009, 09:11 PM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,835 Posts
I tried it again today after the repairs just left it in primer but the nose gear folded up and I need to order new over center linkage and drag brace for it.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 09:22 PM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,835 Posts
Some more pics.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 09:25 PM
Team White Llama!
Joined Jan 2008
8,144 Posts
i'm suprised your only getting 11 pounds installed, how many watts is this pulling?
gundamnitpete is offline Find More Posts by gundamnitpete
Old Jul 29, 2009, 09:28 PM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,835 Posts
I have not taken a reading on watts yet. Kirk had only 8 pounds of thrust with his TF400 and his performed extremely well. She gets up and goes on the runway not to worried about the power because the inlet is not 100% FSA so its not going to do well until it gets in the air.
Old Jul 29, 2009, 10:29 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,199 Posts
I really wanted to do one of these with a Stu Max... but doug had so much trouble with his (lack of thrust)... I just didn't want to take a chance
Tam did one with his fan, which he has ducting for and it went really well... Kirk worked it out.. a nice one was also done in Australia with a DS-51...

I'd hate to build it and not have it fly well... been waiting to see someone else have success with a Stu Max in it

sorry to here you toubles hope it works out better this time

later
Ron
Ron101 is offline Find More Posts by Ron101
Old Jul 29, 2009, 11:57 PM
smug in granny panties
NorCal Silicon Valley
Joined Aug 2002
11,778 Posts
Yeah what ever you have on a bench and ya put it in a model with whatever FSA %70 %80 %90 less, then your gonna have that detriment installed. Although of all the Yellow Kits, the F-16 (when you do montana mod) and not counting big mouth Starfire! lol Has the biggest inlet's at about 108mm area. Yeaht he mouth is bigger and it has slots, but funny thin is slots are half useless cause there half in front of the nose retract which despite inlet size still determines how much air is getting in there on an F-16. On the flip side I have seen DS-51,TJ and, JD100 in these planes and put out full bench numbers, minus the predicted calculated length of duct wet area. So a hot Ds-51 setup might do 8- 8.5 on a bench and still pull 7 to 7.25 installed and weight 1.5 to 2 pounds less AUW on average. On the flip side I've seen DS-94 do 10 to 11 installed but again weight is 1.5 to 2 pounds more for bigger fan motor battery setup. I know broken record but I still treat all the yellow kits as 90mm planes, agin with the exception of the Starfire.

Barry
monkamarm2000 is offline Find More Posts by monkamarm2000
Old Jul 30, 2009, 12:12 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jun 2006
5,453 Posts
This plane fly very well. But you got to done it light. At 16 lbs is not go to do well. Regardless what power plant you got in there.
I can remember what my weight. But I was only flying with little over 3kw.
Let me dig into the videos to fresh my memories.

I was using 11s 3700mAh 25C with 1515 3D.
This set up was around 3.6kw burst and stable around 3.3kw.
The plane weight around 11.5 lbs.

Here is the video flying with 10s 4450mAh.
TJ100 Yellow F 16 EDF conversion (3 min 23 sec)
Tamjets is offline Find More Posts by Tamjets
Last edited by Tamjets; Jul 30, 2009 at 02:39 AM.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 01:32 PM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,835 Posts
Well good news and bad news. It flew!!

It had better performance than I had even hoped for. It was a rocket ship! I am convinced this setup kicks butt! But towards the end of the flight something went wrong. I was going down wind and put the gear down then it pitched up to almost vertical. The first thing I thought was a battery came loose and threw the CG off. Then it leveled off and I had no control what so ever. I held my transmitter up in the air and went running towards it and nothing. It was going where ever it wanted. It flew till it was about out of site then nosed down into the ground. My legs are bleeding from walking into a cactus looking for it for several hours. A guy in the club has a full scale piper cub and he said he will fly over and look for it for me while im on the ground with a radio. Its bitter sweet. My next plane will be this same one with the same exact set up. It flew around effortlessly at half throttle and sounded so good. I hope I can salvage my fan and the gear or I wont be flying for a long time. I am sure the 950$ dollar batteries are toast which really sucks. The only thing I can hope for is one of the three came unconnected in the crash so they are not being drained if they are even in one peice. I am running 2.4 spectrum DX7 with a thuder power LIPO and duralite voltage regulator. I dont even know what went wrong it was like it had a mind of its own. The servos had to have been still moving for it to fly like it was out of control so that rules out power loss and I lost all flight controls so I didnt loose a servo I just dont know. I am going to put bandades on my legs now and hope for the best in the morning.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 01:46 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,199 Posts

Dude... I'm so sorry... I guess we all having coming in due time
better to brace myself now and be ready for it I havn't done in a big jet yet( I didn't even want to type that..lol.. I deleted it twice..don't want a jinks) but it's going to happen if you fly enough

but I am glad to hear it was flying well... it sounded like such a heavy setup.
But with all that power I guess it didn't care.. cool

Well really hope you find your gear and maybe get lucky with the packs
that sucks.. hope you get back in the air soon and do it again (the F-16 with success)

Later
Ron
Old Jul 30, 2009, 02:37 PM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,835 Posts
thnx Ron. I already found a new yellow F16 thats almost ready to fly for a real good price. But it dosent matter if I cant find my fan. I talked to BVM and they said if I can at least get the fan back they will get it all fixed for me cheap. I am still so blow away by the performance I cant wait to get my next one. I just hope its soon. I have no doubt that over 5 mins in flight time would be easy to achieve because how well it flew at half throttle. If my batteries are trashed I might try and do only 2 5 cell 6500MHA 40C thunderpowers so 10 cell instead of the 12 cell set up. It didnt need any extra power because it was way overpowered like it was. And about the weight the turbine guys are flying these at a much higher weight and the batteries alone are 5 pounds so its not like its the plane its the batteries that weigh so much. I didnt want to have an aircraft with a little baby fan and have it sound like crap and not perform well. I wanted something that performed like an F16 wich this did and sounded very good.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 02:56 PM
Pursuit of Happiness
Brentwood, California
Joined Jul 2007
7,199 Posts
Right on..
And the Vio Fan is a drop in fit right?

where did you packs end up in the plane for CG? can't to see a video..
this makes me temted to buy the Tiger sheme yellow on RCU

later
Ron
Old Jul 30, 2009, 03:19 PM
Dream Build Fly Scale
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Oct 2004
2,869 Posts
Gunradd, sorry to hear of your loss. Sounds like you have a positive approach and are anxious to get another to duplicate your success. I lost a couple models back when I did free flight and that was devastating enough....can't imagine what it would be like to lose a model of this investment. Do you have a sense of where it disappeared in relation to where you were standing? I've looked for downed models in the past with the aid of a cell phone and a bright orange bicycle flag. Basically have a club member stand where you were when you were flying and you tell him where you last saw the model. As you walk out to that point with the flag have him guide you left or right to keep you on that path. Eventually you should come upon your model. Keep us posted.
strictlyscale is offline Find More Posts by strictlyscale
Old Jul 30, 2009, 03:21 PM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,835 Posts
I had one of the big batteries behind the engine bay on the bottom of the fuselage with velcro. Their is plenty of room under the thrust tube for it and the tailcone has three little screws so its easy to get to. The other big battery and the little battery went behind the cockpit on top of the inlet ducting. I was able to balance it perfect this way and still have the fan under the hatch for easy access. The only thing I added was the BVM inlet extension and I just overlapped the stock yellow duct with it. Some one else did the montana mod on it before I got it but all they did was open the top of the inlet up some then used that meatal tape stuff and then put resin on top of it. Looks very easy to do and is a small mod. The one thing I am thinking about is the CG was a little nose heavy and the airbootle was all the way in the nose and right before I flew I moved it and stuffed it inbetween the battery and the canopy wich is right above the receiver. I am woundering if the airhose came off or something and messed up the receiver because the plane went crazy right when I put the gear down.

That tiger meet one is sweet looking Ron. going from the old byron to this was like night and day to me because it was so stable smooth. The fan was pushing it around effortlessly. If you put your Stumax in their it would really rock and sound killer. Your FSA would be even better with the Stumax. But the FSA now is more than fine with a 120MM fan.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 04:12 PM
KingtechUSA
Tampa FL
Joined Apr 2009
2,835 Posts
Thanks Sean. I am very anxious to get one back into the air. This is no doubt the plane for me its everything I want good scale looks and killer performance and should have long flight times. Everyone their was watching the plane no one was flying so everyone saw it go in and saw me running with my radio in the air saying O . We have some good markers that point to where it went in at its just you cant judge the distance. It was very far away. I have a pilot meeting at the airport in the morning and he will fly over with me on the ground with a radio. The problem is when I was back thier in the woods you got to be very careful. Its all protected land so their is deer wild hogs rattle snakes and also I saw the biggest spider I have ever seen today. It even had hair on it and looked like it could eat a bird. When I was back in the palmetto bushes I herd something moving and saw the bushes moving so what ever it was it was big and I just yelled and ran I am not messing with a wild hog if thats what it was LOL.