HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 29, 2009, 06:57 PM
The building never ends!
Tucson, AZ
Joined Oct 2008
1,056 Posts
Discussion
Guillows 20" Super Cub conversion

This is the "Build by Number" Super Cub, rather than the larger fully-scale Super Cub. I had this kit sitting in my closet for a few months, and now that the PZ Sukhoi and associated electronics have finally been released, I figured it was time to, at least, start this kit.

This will be a full-house conversion. Unlike my previous conversions, I'm going to be using the 8.5mm brushed motor and 4:1 gearbox the Sukhoi uses, since it will apparently generate up to 40+ grams of thrust at 1.35A with a good 1S battery.

On first inspection the wood doesn't seem that bad, though there is always room for improvement with contest-grade balsa. How I do the ailerons will depend on the results of a little experiment I'm conducting on my Musketeer.
Ensign Jimmy is offline Find More Posts by Ensign Jimmy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2009, 08:10 PM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,572 Posts
Subscribed!

It's always good to see the first conversion of a particular type on the list.

Good luck EJ - Phil
Smokin' Beaver is offline Find More Posts by Smokin' Beaver
Old Jul 29, 2009, 08:39 PM
Fly, dangit!!!
Little Rock, AR USA
Joined Jan 2007
1,050 Posts
Good Luck!

Ensign Jimmy - I always enjoy these 'traditional' builds. This one ought to work well with that equipment. I'll be watching with anticipation! Best of luck!
Led Zepplin is offline Find More Posts by Led Zepplin
Old Jul 30, 2009, 01:28 PM
The building never ends!
Tucson, AZ
Joined Oct 2008
1,056 Posts
Got my parts in the mail last night. Looks like my eyeballing of the gearbox in my Sukhoi was spot-on.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 02:24 PM
Master Crasher
Fletcher, NC
Joined Oct 2008
681 Posts
Very interested in this build. I've wanted to do a Javelin for quite some time actually.
zultone is offline Find More Posts by zultone
Old Jul 31, 2009, 05:01 PM
The building never ends!
Tucson, AZ
Joined Oct 2008
1,056 Posts
Sometimes, it turns out that a Guillows kit already has okay wood in it. This is one of those times. I weighed one of the die-cut sheets that came with the kit, and the wood weighs 7.5 lb/cu-ft. Not quite contest grade, but far better wood than I usually see in these kits. The parts are 1/20th of an inch thick, compared to the customary 1/16th of an inch. They really did design these "Build by Numbers" style kits to have a very good chance of flying. I will have to sand carefully.
Old Aug 01, 2009, 08:19 PM
if I only had the time
United States, WI, Green Bay
Joined Jul 2009
30 Posts
This is going to be my first build when i get home. I planned on using the same motor and reciever of the parkzone sukoi. Kepp me posted on how well it flies. i got only 4 months left.
adammoren is offline Find More Posts by adammoren
Old Aug 06, 2009, 05:53 AM
if I only had the time
Joined Jul 2009
30 Posts
A little side note here. Ive been doing some research with other blogs and i found out that the spektrum AR6400 wouldnt be a safe bet if you plan on only using 3 ch. since it is a brick and you cannot program which servo will be for what channel. On the AR6400 the two built in servos are for the elevator and rudder channels, which is perfect for a 4 ch setup. However if you only plan on using 3 channels your rudder will still be on your left stick. A way to save the headache and $10 is to buy the vapor brick. It has the same plugs for motors and is set up for elevator and rudder but the rudder will actually be the same channel as your aileron on your transmitter (your rudder will be back on the right stick).
I also found out that the vapor brick (with some mad soldering skills) can be made into a 5 Ch reciever.
as far as motors the vapor motor and the sukhoi motor have seperate order numbers but i cant find a difference.
Old Aug 06, 2009, 10:27 AM
The building never ends!
Tucson, AZ
Joined Oct 2008
1,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adammoren
A little side note here. Ive been doing some research with other blogs and i found out that the spektrum AR6400 wouldnt be a safe bet if you plan on only using 3 ch. since it is a brick and you cannot program which servo will be for what channel. On the AR6400 the two built in servos are for the elevator and rudder channels, which is perfect for a 4 ch setup. However if you only plan on using 3 channels your rudder will still be on your left stick. A way to save the headache and $10 is to buy the vapor brick. It has the same plugs for motors and is set up for elevator and rudder but the rudder will actually be the same channel as your aileron on your transmitter (your rudder will be back on the right stick).
I also found out that the vapor brick (with some mad soldering skills) can be made into a 5 Ch reciever.
as far as motors the vapor motor and the sukhoi motor have seperate order numbers but i cant find a difference.
Yes, if you're going 3-channel, you're better off buying a Vapor brick, rather than an AR6400. Since I'm going full 4-channel control, this doesn't matter so much to me. And yes, if you have a so-called "green-dot" Vapor brick, you can set it up for 5-channel operation. Though, with the AR6400 officially out now, there's little need to hack Vapor bricks. I have a green-dot Vapor RX, which I used in my Musketeer conversion. I replaced it with an AR6400 to simplify the wiring somewhat (and get access to two aileron servo ports.)

There is a big difference between the Vapor motor and the Sukhoi motor. The Vapor motor is a 6mm brushed motor that draws maybe a third of an amp of current, and can't do much better than 15 grams of thrust out of the gearboxes that are designed around it. The Sukhoi motor is 8.4mm and, in the Sukhoi gearbox with the stock 6.25x2.75 prop draws a bit over an amp and produces well over 34 grams of thrust. For the Super Cub, which will probably end up weighing between 40 to 50 grams all-up, the Sukhoi motor would be the better bet.
Old Aug 06, 2009, 11:51 AM
Fly, dangit!!!
Little Rock, AR USA
Joined Jan 2007
1,050 Posts
I know you mentioned that the supplied kit wood was around 7.5 lbs/cf, but were you planning on replacing any of the wood with some 5-6 lbs/cf wood? It may not save you all that much, but I'd bet you'd be able to be more in the 40g AUW range if you did. Maybe it won't matter that much.

I'm working on an 18" biplane with an AUW of about 58g - 60g (I haven't quite finished it up, but it'll be something like that) and you are using much lighter avionics. This thing ought to be a real floater, plenty of WA, and high wing design - should be a real joy to fly.

Best of luck!
Led Zepplin is offline Find More Posts by Led Zepplin
Old Aug 06, 2009, 03:13 PM
The building never ends!
Tucson, AZ
Joined Oct 2008
1,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zepplin
I know you mentioned that the supplied kit wood was around 7.5 lbs/cf, but were you planning on replacing any of the wood with some 5-6 lbs/cf wood? It may not save you all that much, but I'd bet you'd be able to be more in the 40g AUW range if you did. Maybe it won't matter that much.
I'll definitely do the wings in contest-grade balsa. Mostly because I'm cutting new wing ribs, since the stock Guillows airfoil has poor stall characteristics for R/C. Likely new tailfeathers too, to help the CG get to the right range.
Old Aug 06, 2009, 08:06 PM
if I only had the time
Joined Jul 2009
30 Posts
what kind of covering do you plan on using?? i got pretty much everything planned out for what i wanna use when i get back home to build this model but i havent figured out what to cover it with.
Old Aug 06, 2009, 09:02 PM
The building never ends!
Tucson, AZ
Joined Oct 2008
1,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adammoren
what kind of covering do you plan on using?? i got pretty much everything planned out for what i wanna use when i get back home to build this model but i havent figured out what to cover it with.
I typically use MicroLite, which is an iron-on covering that usually weighs in at around 8 to 10 grams per square meter. As I have a bunch of olive-drab green covering leftover from back when I converted a Guillows L-19 Bird Dog, I'm going to do this Super Cub in olive-drab as well. With some roundels, I'd have a Korean War-era L-21 Super Cub.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 12:00 PM
if I only had the time
Joined Jul 2009
30 Posts
you wouldnt of happened to weigh that motor while you had it out by chance. I've been trying to find weights on all the parts online but once again my searching skills must be horrible.
On another note how is the build going? I've been checking this thread every single day to see if there is any updates. I'm waiting in suspense to see how well this is gonna work out.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 04:08 PM
The building never ends!
Tucson, AZ
Joined Oct 2008
1,056 Posts
The weight of the Sukhoi motor + gearbox + 1.5mm plastic prop-saver from BSD Micro RC + a GWS 5" prop is 7.47 grams. The actual building part of the build will start this weekend.