Old Jul 29, 2009, 06:56 PM
Guard-Cadet
Canada, NS, Sydney
Joined Jul 2009
489 Posts
Build Log
MV Queen of Chilliwack Build

Hi,

Im new here, Ive been a member on other forums for a while now, but I found that there seems to be a larger scale boating community over here.

I am building a 1:60 scale model of the MV Queen of Chilliwack. She is a 114.5m (37511) long double ended RO/RO vehicle/passenger ferry that operates in the BC Ferries fleet on the north coast of British Columbia. That means my model is 1908mm (6 7 3/4) long and will have a displacement of approximately 43-45 kg (95-100 Ibs) when completed. I am 1879mm (6-2) tall and I displace around 114 kg (250 Ibs). She is longer than I am tall, yet half my weight. She is quite slim. You can see the scope of the model now. She has 4 Right Angle Drives or Z Drives; this gives her a high level of maneuverability and also makes her the largest vessel in BC to operate with this type of propulsion system.

I started construction in June of 2007, literally days after I had graduated from High-School. My inspiration to undertake this project came from a few sources my fascination with ferries, my hometown and mainly my sudden discovery of the vessel. I have always been interested in ferries from when I was young and would take the ferry from Tsawwassen to Swartz Bay to visit my grandmother in Victoria. Secondly I was born and raised in Chilliwack, BC. Lastly, one night while researching possible ferries I could build in the 4-5 long range I came across this vessels profile on the BC Ferries website. I right then and there decided that this was the vessel for me.

I originally was thinking to build something about 4-5 long, but due to the RADs on the Chilliwack and my desire to have functioning RADs this would be too small. So, I chose the largest possible even scale I could that would allow the model to fit in my pickup truck.

I was able to get some AutoCAD drawings from the owner that permitted me to build her as close to scale as possible. I am an AutoCAD Draftsmen, so I was able to computer design a full set of frames for the ship.

I have detailed quite a bit of the construction process on my website under the title construction on the left side of the window.http://www.queenofchilliwack.ca

I wont pull any of the images off of my site and post them here, cause its just easier to look at them there.

The following video shows the RAD's in operation. there are three segments. The first shows the inside of the inboard portion where the pulleys, motors, and servo are. The second is of the outboard portion RAD's on the workbench. Lastly the first in water test of all 4 RAD units in my hot-tub.

This video is of the first time she ever sailed outside of the hot-tub in open water

Cheers,
Cadmunkey is online now Find More Posts by Cadmunkey
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2009, 12:19 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,465 Posts
Good to see you here at RCgroups..
You have a great start, I am eager to learn more about the computer
control aspects of what you are building.

Umi_Ryuzuki is online now Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Jul 30, 2009, 02:42 PM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,672 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! Was nice to see you at the Bellevue Regatta in June and look forward to watching this build.
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S
Old Aug 22, 2009, 07:21 PM
Guard-Cadet
Canada, NS, Sydney
Joined Jul 2009
489 Posts
OK, Finally got around to editing the plans to show what actually got built.

So here are some jpegs of the drawing set I made to build the RADs from.

And an assembly Video.

Assembly Video

Cheers,
Old Aug 22, 2009, 08:52 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,992 Posts
Your RAD is rad!

How many times have you heard that one before!
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Aug 22, 2009, 09:23 PM
Guard-Cadet
Canada, NS, Sydney
Joined Jul 2009
489 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
Your RAD is rad!

How many times have you heard that one before!

More than you could imagine.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 11:36 PM
Surrey BC, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
888 Posts
Cadmunkey

Great videos. I will be watching this build.

Colin
Gonzo007 is offline Find More Posts by Gonzo007
Old Aug 25, 2009, 02:18 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,465 Posts
Thanks for working out, and posting the drawings...
I am sure that others besides me appreciate the insight, and
the extra bit of data that the drawings provide.

What would you do differently now that you have built this
first set of RADs?
Old Aug 27, 2009, 05:42 PM
Guard-Cadet
Canada, NS, Sydney
Joined Jul 2009
489 Posts
Hey guys I got a question for you. I am starting the planning for the superstructure from the vehicle deck to the main passenger deck floor. In other words the large cavernous cargo holds of the vessel. I definitely want to use a plastic for this as everything above the waterline needs to be quite light to ensure stability. I will use plastic laminated to 1/16 aircraft plywood with a 1/8 plywood beams going across the underside of the deck for strength. Then this will be supported mostly again by 1/8 plywood posts notched into the car deck and hangers on the outside walls. This will then be sheeted with plastic.

The following section shows this.

My question is what would be a better type of plastic to use Styrene or Sintra. I would like to know which stands up better to water, light, and stress. Also, I know Sintra accepts CA much better than Styrene does, which is good, because it will be bonded with wood structure at all the joints.

Also, what would be the best way to laminate the plastic to the Wood, If I use Sintra Ive heard that waterproof wood glue works best, but Ive heard not much sticks to Styrene.

Any tips or pointer would be great. This is a big step and if it doesnt work out Ill have to tear it all apart and try again.

Cheers,
Old Aug 27, 2009, 11:44 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,465 Posts
My decks are all 1/16"- 1/8" plywood, and I used
0.030 styrene for the sides.
The lower car deck superstructure is all plastic
supported via the vertical and horizontal members.
All were plastic welded using weldon, or MEK.

The passenger decks were CA'd to wood stringers across
the bottom and tops edges of the walls, and then cemented
into place on the decks.

The pilot houses have a 1/16" plywood base, but are built up
completely of styrene.

The uptakes are plywood formers, sheeted with balsa.

Hope that helps...
Old Aug 28, 2009, 01:15 AM
Guard-Cadet
Canada, NS, Sydney
Joined Jul 2009
489 Posts
Structurally I know what I want to do, I'm just not sure if I should use Sintra or Styrene, but I'm leaning towards Sintra.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 02:48 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,465 Posts
The reason I used the styrene, was,... well I had never heard of Sintra at
the time, and I wanted the thin wall thickness the styrene provided.

Old Aug 28, 2009, 09:33 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,454 Posts
Ami, those ramps bring flashbacks to going across Puget Sound (parents live in Whidbey Island), which boat is that?

open question what is the difference between a right angle drive and a Z-drive (other than the letter design)
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Aug 28, 2009, 11:47 AM
Guard-Cadet
Canada, NS, Sydney
Joined Jul 2009
489 Posts
A Right Angle Drive is a Z-drive. Although technically a Right Angle Drive is only a part of a Z-Drive. It refers to the gear set that between two perpendicular shafts. A differential in a car is technically a Right Angle Drive.

Cheers,
Last edited by Cadmunkey; Aug 28, 2009 at 12:00 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 11:33 PM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,454 Posts
Thanks from a deckape (a type of monkey) to a monkey.
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008