HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:40 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,482 Posts
I split mine to fashion in rotating retracts to run the remote RX and to switch up a few other things. So rewiring is unnecessary just cut the ends and re crimp.

ESC's its up to you. If it meets your power demand and isn't too heavy use it. The lighter the better so for this model the amp draw doesn't need to be very high you don't need to go very high.
Maxthrottle is online now Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 90mm F-16C
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2012, 11:44 PM
Tape n' glue, Good as New!
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Aug 2009
303 Posts
Just run an X-Acto blade along the seam and gently pull it open or what?
jussyjonny is offline Find More Posts by jussyjonny
Last edited by jussyjonny; Feb 19, 2012 at 11:58 PM.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 06:35 PM
Wave off!!! Wave off!!!
Joined Aug 2011
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post
I had about 5 flights on the Hobby Lobby version I love the way this thing flies but the retracts I already ordered the replacements so that will be fixed, and while I am at it I will upgrade the hinges on the elevators. Now the big question I have is power. This is my first EDF and I know zero about them. Can get a better motor and fan that will increase power without having to go with bigger battereis?

Thanks
I just purchased a Hobby Lobby F-35 from my local hobby shop. I love this model and cant wait to get her in the air. However, I was not aware that there is a problem withh the stock retracts.
zoomzoom7435 is offline Find More Posts by zoomzoom7435
Old Feb 21, 2012, 10:52 PM
Tape n' glue, Good as New!
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Aug 2009
303 Posts
ZZ, don't worry, just use them. that's what I'm going to do. If they bust up then get the e-tracts from Hobby King for seven bucks apiece, that's what I have. Just ordered all the stuff I'll need for my jet, only another $90 I cant believe I've spent over $340 on this thing!! Whew! Better fly nice like it should. Oh well, I guess $190 of that is just the electronics and I can always reuse them... Hopefully! On a side note, I just finished reading this entire thread! So ? is, should I move on to the HL thread, anything in there that I wouldn't already have read?
jussyjonny is offline Find More Posts by jussyjonny
Old Feb 22, 2012, 02:20 AM
Wave off!!! Wave off!!!
Joined Aug 2011
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jussyjonny View Post
ZZ, don't worry, just use them. that's what I'm going to do. If they bust up then get the e-tracts from Hobby King for seven bucks apiece, that's what I have. Just ordered all the stuff I'll need for my jet, only another $90 I cant believe I've spent over $340 on this thing!! Whew! Better fly nice like it should. Oh well, I guess $190 of that is just the electronics and I can always reuse them... Hopefully! On a side note, I just finished reading this entire thread! So ? is, should I move on to the HL thread, anything in there that I wouldn't already have read?
That sounds like a good backup option if needed, jussyjonny. I heard a lot of good things about this aircraft and quality is a major purchasing factor before I pull the trigger getting a model. I purchased three models this year already;E-flite F4 Phantom, Hobby-Lobby FA-18, and the Electrifly PBY Catalina. The Hobby- Lobby F-35 is the last of the models I am purchasing for 2012, and I wanted to make sure it was a pretty good model (stock) for going out to the field. I sold my E-flite F86 Sabre (minus the electronics) to purchase this model so I hope I did not buy a money pit. Thanks, man for the reply. Cheers!
Old Feb 22, 2012, 09:40 PM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,394 Posts
Just flew my F-35 today again with my 4 year old son. He had fun watching it This is a fun airplane - I like the thrust vectoring and wild maneuvers you can do with it but it's also fun to just fly around smooth and jet like. Throttle back for scale like fly bys at 5 feet off the deck and smoothly throttle up for vertical reversals. I could do those all day long and it feels like you can with this one.

The best bang for the buck mod I did with mine was to change out the nose gear and mod the nose to accept a forward rotating unit and a longer strut so the model sits fairly nose high on the ground (also shortened the mains a little). This way I can fly off with minimal fuss and no dramatic jump off the ground launch. That is due to the main gear being so far aft of the normal CG - it takes a load of elevator force to overcome the weight of the nose and then once the nose raises the model over shoots dramatically to go nearly straight up. Not so with the nose gear mod. Uoi can rotate and fly off nice and smooth.

I'd like to have a big turbine powered one too
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 28, 2012, 10:26 AM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Nov 2010
565 Posts
my F35 in flight video

F35 (3 min 30 sec)
Wargassm is offline Find More Posts by Wargassm
Old Feb 29, 2012, 04:51 AM
Wave off!!! Wave off!!!
Joined Aug 2011
176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wargassm View Post
That was AWESOME! This hobby rocks and is a ton of fun, but even more fun when you take your son or daughter with you to enjoy the thrill of flying. Thanks for sharing the vid with us. Cheers.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 03:04 PM
Joined Oct 2006
163 Posts
TV servos

I have a question concerning the horizontal TV servos. How do you mount it. On the above picture it looks like it is glued right on to the inside body of the F35.

Just for the info, I just finished installing electric retracts on my F35.
MitchDigger is offline Find More Posts by MitchDigger
Old Mar 07, 2012, 03:31 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,482 Posts
They come glued it but if you wish you can shrik wrap the servo first and then glue it in. Then cut the wrap later if the servo need to be removed.
Just don't use epoxy or something incredibly perminent unless you shrink wrap.
Silicon adhesive and some others work fine.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2012, 03:53 PM
Joined Oct 2006
163 Posts
Thank you so much, the shrink rap idea just revolutionized my appreciation for building my edf jets.
MitchDigger is offline Find More Posts by MitchDigger
Old Mar 10, 2012, 12:25 AM
Official Boat Bum
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Mar 2000
7,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchDigger View Post
Thank you so much, the shrink rap idea just revolutionized my appreciation for building my edf jets.
While this is a great trick on these type of smaller EDF's (under 6 pounds/110mph for example) don't try that on much larger or faster models! While it works here it's a time bomb on the bigger & faster ones.
Eddie P is offline Find More Posts by Eddie P
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2012, 12:41 AM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,482 Posts
Absolutely true. Once you start getting into the more serious stuff, proper anchors or ply rails etc apply.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2012, 01:57 PM
dallas tx
Joined Jun 2003
2,904 Posts
Ive had amnesia the last 40+ days. Reading these threads are bringing it all back. When I first got out of the hospital, i walked into the hobby room. Asked my wife, " who's planes are these?" yours. Looking fwd to getting back in the air. Lee
capt soap is online now Find More Posts by capt soap
Old Mar 12, 2012, 02:07 PM
United States, MA, Sterling
Joined Sep 2009
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt soap View Post
Ive had amnesia the last 40+ days. Reading these threads are bringing it all back. When I first got out of the hospital, i walked into the hobby room. Asked my wife, " who's planes are these?" yours. Looking fwd to getting back in the air. Lee
Actually you may not remember but you borrowed them all from me.

Wow amnesia. Hope you remember how to fly!!!!

In all seriousness I hope you get back to 100% real soon.
Beancounter is offline Find More Posts by Beancounter