HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 21, 2009, 10:00 PM
You are a "go" for reentry
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbone View Post
100grams of the HET/2W20 but I never measured a HET combo in the plane and never measured the Stock setup out of the plane so it is an apples with pears comparison, particularly with an intake ring fitted to the stock setup.
Well then that leads me to the HET fan with the BI-3600 on 80amps. I'm curious if the intake ring from the factory fits the HET. If not i could always push the long HET further in to the tail and create an intake ring.

I've already reconfigured the wiring to have everything working, flapperons, tailerons, rudders. I found the easiest way to get to everything was to splite at the seam from the nose to the tail. very easy clean break.

Going to use your removable battery box method too.
Maxthrottle is offline Find More Posts by Maxthrottle
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2009, 10:10 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy1199 View Post
Wow, good thing I found this thread, the HL one is extremely quiet. I just got caught up with the thread. Looks like few people have had some bad crashes. I did a build video less than a week ago:
Yes nice video. Came across it on UTUBE.
I might add the detail about removing any servos... the three units that I've seen thus far are all using Silicon adhesive to hold the servos inplace. They don't pull so easily but if you cut around the edges first, watch the wires, they come out no problem.

Oh and re HL picking servo's.... HL doesn't make this model, Freewing does. HL are just the distributor. If they had as much influence on design as some believe I would think they would be able to give some accurate information on what they commissioned. We've been asking for infromation on the ESC's for more than a year and we still can't get a clear answer.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Maxthrottle; Dec 22, 2009 at 09:17 AM. Reason: mispelled word. put instead pull
Old Dec 21, 2009, 10:26 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,213 Posts
Quote:
Actually that's another good find. Have you asked Philip what the BEC amp output is and if this is a linear or a switching type. I was surprised at HL's comment about how these can be setup.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2009, 04:09 PM
B Mac
United States, LA, Lake Charles
Joined Aug 2009
149 Posts
Good video macdaddy incase anybody is tearing into the F-35.
mach7rc is offline Find More Posts by mach7rc
Old Dec 23, 2009, 12:24 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jun 2009
448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
Actually that's another good find. Have you asked Philip what the BEC amp output is and if this is a linear or a switching type. I was surprised at HL's comment about how these can be setup.
Hey Max, you IT guys sit in front computers for too long and it is no good for concentration on other things. Don't ask me how I know.

The AXN ESC is an opto ESC so has no BEC output. Still has the 3 wires but these are opto coupled isolating the power input from the ESC and motor circuits but you know this already I am sure.
johnbone is offline Find More Posts by johnbone
Old Dec 23, 2009, 04:09 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,213 Posts
Quote:
Hey Max, you IT guys sit in front computers for too long and it is no good for concentration on other things. Don't ask me how I know.

The AXN ESC is an opto ESC so has no BEC output. Still has the 3 wires but these are opto coupled isolating the power input from the ESC and motor circuits but you know this already I am sure.
Actually been trying to stay off so I could do more work on these two planes. Too Many half done projects and already I'm thinking ... spring is just around the corner How'd u know I was in IT.
More questions. looking over the F35 is the 120mm CG right. Looking at the Centre of lift and the main gear placement it looks like this should be much further back. I'll stick those HK gyros on roll and pitch on the tailerons so even if its twitchy.....

Other question: Since the TV is 60mm and the intake is so cavernous I'm wondering if an 80mm or 90mm might not be another way to get the lead out. Trying to find a lite 90mm unit or maybe the 80mm of the HL F16 which is also an 8 blade. It may be a new set of batteries, which I was hoping to avoid but ..... And I'm still in a wait and see on the on the sky units.
What do you think
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 23, 2009, 04:30 PM
USA, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined Mar 2008
340 Posts
Hey Max,

Where do you plan to get tha 80mm fan from? I looked and HL doesn't have spare parts for the F16 yet, and nothing matched my 80mm search, other than the mentioned planes.
I'd be interested in using an 80mm in this F-35 and/or on my F-5.
Thanks,
Marcelo.-
marcelo3d is offline Find More Posts by marcelo3d
Old Dec 23, 2009, 05:21 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,213 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelo3d View Post
Hey Max,

Where do you plan to get tha 80mm fan from? I looked and HL doesn't have spare parts for the F16 yet, and nothing matched my 80mm search, other than the mentioned planes.
I'd be interested in using an 80mm in this F-35 and/or on my F-5.
Thanks,
Marcelo.-
ONe has to be very...Verrrryyy... patient with them. They usually have parts 2 or 3 months after they launch a new item. I'm still trying to find out the numbers on the unit so not a sure thing yet. Still looking.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2009, 03:46 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jun 2009
448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxthrottle View Post
Actually been trying to stay off so I could do more work on these two planes. Too Many half done projects and already I'm thinking ... spring is just around the corner How'd u know I was in IT.
More questions. looking over the F35 is the 120mm CG right. Looking at the Centre of lift and the main gear placement it looks like this should be much further back. I'll stick those HK gyros on roll and pitch on the tailerons so even if its twitchy.....

Other question: Since the TV is 60mm and the intake is so cavernous I'm wondering if an 80mm or 90mm might not be another way to get the lead out. Trying to find a lite 90mm unit or maybe the 80mm of the HL F16 which is also an 8 blade. It may be a new set of batteries, which I was hoping to avoid but ..... And I'm still in a wait and see on the on the sky units.
What do you think
Clairvoyant no, I read a post where you talked about public domain stuff... so extrapolated from there.

The COG is correct. I did have it slightly back from that but was not sure whether it was the elevators or the COG that made it backflip for a hairy flight. It is a bit twitchy with the elevators so dial in a bit of expo initially.

I am sticking with the 70mm for the moment. I made a tube from over the rear of the EDF unit to the TV unit as per recent post and pic on this thread. That helped noticably.
80 or 90mm sounds interesting. I haven't done the maths on 85-90% FSA for either but if it calculates for 60mm then it sounds like a good idea to burn some money on. The extra weight could be balanced by the battery.
johnbone is offline Find More Posts by johnbone
Old Dec 24, 2009, 05:19 PM
High Orbit.....
Joined Jun 2009
6,213 Posts
Quote:
Clairvoyant no, I read a post where you talked about public domain stuff... so extrapolated from there.

The COG is correct. I did have it slightly back from that but was not sure whether it was the elevators or the COG that made it backflip for a hairy flight. It is a bit twitchy with the elevators so dial in a bit of expo initially.

I am sticking with the 70mm for the moment. I made a tube from over the rear of the EDF unit to the TV unit as per recent post and pic on this thread. That helped noticably.
80 or 90mm sounds interesting. I haven't done the maths on 85-90% FSA for either but if it calculates for 60mm then it sounds like a good idea to burn some money on. The extra weight could be balanced by the battery.
Oh you're going to have to tell me which thread and forum as I have gone back and read some of my stuff and asked "which idiot wrote that"? Doe!
So far the 80mm from the F16 may not be the answer as one site had the unit putting out low numbers. I came across the Fury Fans which look like RCLanders with different motors http://www.shulmanaviation.com/shopexd.asp?id=218. But the wieght....
Unobtainium??????
So now I'm looking into the FW 3800Kv motor for these to see what it may do.
All the best to you and your.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 26, 2009, 02:27 PM
Paris - France
Joined Jul 2008
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeramos View Post
Hi Max and John

Just recently got a Futaba 7ch radio, My friend and i got a hard time mixing these TVs and assigning them to have a switch.

We managed to have a switch for the TV pitch but the TV yaw acts like a switch for an airbrake.. so it only moves half the way and when i turn it off it is not centering its original position.

Anybody who can relate using Futaba7ch?

Thanks
Mike
Hello Guys

I bought this fantastic Freewing F-35 and I am just finishing it.
I have only a pitch TV and I got the same problem as Mike when mixing my TV on channel 6 with elevator channel 2 on my Futaba 6 EXAP 2,4Ghz.
The channel 6 is the flap channel. I can center the TV when it's off, but when it's on it moves half the way in only one direction.
Does anyone can explain me how to mix, or tell me what Futaba transmitter I need to improve and fix this problem?
Anyway, if it does not work, I will block the TV as suggested in the thread and fly without it....

Thank's a lot
Gildas is offline Find More Posts by Gildas
Old Dec 26, 2009, 05:49 PM
Joined Dec 2009
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilesOwen View Post
Thanks for the info, I see where they changed it as well. That's to bad as I was ready to pull the trigger on this one...
Not sure if this is the same model or not, but 95% sure the F-35 sold over at Hobby lobby is built by the same folks. It DOES have thrust vectoring in BOTH axes. http://www.hobby-lobby.com/f_35_ligh...toring_jet.htm

I just flew mine for the first time today. My only other EDF was a GWS A-10 5 yrs ago which was anemic at best so I didn't expect much. Two batteries through it and haven't even turned on the high rates yet, let alone 2 axis TV. It's super responsive, and very controllable. At 1/3 throttle and low rates it looks about as real in the air as you can get! It has TONS of power. It doesn't have 1:1, but it's close. It also slows down much more than I would have expected. With the CG per plans just a minor pitch bobble and no roll off at full aft stick. The main gear are back very far (I assume to accomodate the retracts) so a gradual rotation and realistic liftoff are hard to get. It speeds up very quickly and springs into the air when ITS ready to fly. It can tend to slap down on landing for the same reason (hence the spring nose gear). There are a couple other threads from myself and others on this plane, but I'd highly recommend it (and that's from a guy who used to despise electrics & even more ducted fans).
N178EZ is offline Find More Posts by N178EZ
Old Dec 27, 2009, 01:59 AM
USA, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined Mar 2008
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gildas View Post
Hello Guys

I bought this fantastic Freewing F-35 and I am just finishing it.
I have only a pitch TV and I got the same problem as Mike when mixing my TV on channel 6 with elevator channel 2 on my Futaba 6 EXAP 2,4Ghz.
The channel 6 is the flap channel. I can center the TV when it's off, but when it's on it moves half the way in only one direction.
Does anyone can explain me how to mix, or tell me what Futaba transmitter I need to improve and fix this problem?
Anyway, if it does not work, I will block the TV as suggested in the thread and fly without it....

Thank's a lot
I have a Futaba 6EXP 72MHz. I could not find the manual for a EXAP 2.4G that you have.
My radio has a flap switch. If yours has a knob, then my description will not work.
I set the flap trims both to 0% (set one, flip the flap switch, set the other). Now program a mix from CH2 (ele) Master to Ch5(flap) slave. Set it to 100%. Set the flap switch as the mix controller (up or down, your choice).
Check the thrust line (look at the markings in the vector unit), use the flap trim to make it centered. Remember to copy the value for the other position of the flap switch.
Once you trim the plane, you may need to re-center the TV unit by adjusting the flap trims once more.
Does this help on your radio?
Marcelo.-
marcelo3d is offline Find More Posts by marcelo3d
Old Dec 27, 2009, 04:29 AM
Paris - France
Joined Jul 2008
94 Posts
Hey Marcello

Thanks for your reply. I did exactly what you say. My flap channel is 6. The fact is that the TV is centered, but it would works only one way, only when pulling the stick, so it works half way but one side only from the center position as on the scheme. I tried to use other settings as to change the flap trim setting, but it only changes the zero of your servo and to center the TV the flap trim must be near the zero position as you said.
I could change the position of the servo arm by unscrewing it to change the zero position on 50 to the flap trim and have the arm center on neutral position, but in this case it would move only half way each side. But to do that I need to unglue the servo from the foam and it seems very well glue. I don't want to get a big hole or to break the foam.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 05:08 AM
Paris - France
Joined Jul 2008
94 Posts
I guess i can't do it with flaps channel because on real planes you always lower the flaps from neutral position and raise them from down position, so it works only half way from neutral postion. Exactly opposite from airbrakes. So I think I will never get all the way up to down from the servo with flaps channel. I need a radio with a channel allowing full mixing from full up to full down.